Living Life...

Living Life...

Friday, July 15, 2022

Yellowstone Trip – The Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole

Friday, July 15th was another early morning for us. Chris and Sarah woke up and prepared the breakfast sandwiches for everyone around 5:00am.  The rest of us got the kids moving and packed the food for lunches. We got started a little later than we did on Wednesday, but we weren’t expecting today to be as long a day in the park.  Thankfully, the first couple hours we were just driving through the same part of Yellowstone that we went through yesterday, so some people opted to get some extra sleep and some of the kids were required to sleep 😊  

Matthew getting in a nap as the sun was rising... 


Our first stop of the day was at the Continental Divide. Although we passed it multiple times during our time in Yellowstone it was planned for our trip to the Grand Tetons since there were less stops to make. It was a quick in and out and perfect to stretch the legs.  


We planned to stop at the Lewis Falls Overlook but unfortunately, they were doing construction work and there was no place to stop.  We did enjoy looking at it as we continued driving by slowly (due to the construction).  We were able to get out and look at Moose Falls.  It was beautiful and an easy walk. 


Cool bridge near the waterfall... 

Jackson Lake Overlook... quick stop


Thankfully we made it to the Willow Flats Overlook early enough to be able to see animals.  There are more animals in the morning hours. They were way off in the distance, but we had binoculars and a scope to be able to see the Elk up close.  We also were lucky to be there just as they did a presentation about local bear.  Lily was excited to get up close to them and we joked with Sarah that she finally got to see one…


If you look really hard you can see the elk in the distance... 



I just loved the views of the Grand Tetons... 



Learning about the wild bears... 


When we got to the loop, we made a wrong turn and accidentally went to the Jackson Lake Dam.  So, a few of us decided to get out and take pictures and then head back in the direction that I had planned the trip originally.  I’m glad we got pictures when we did because at the end of the day, we decided not to go all the way back up to the Dam.  God knew that we needed to make this minor detour at the beginning to save time later one.  

View of Jackson Lake Dam from the bridge

Mariah, her kids and I went exploring down further... 


It was beautiful and hard to take pictures without people...
but I managed to cut out all the fisherman :)


Most of the stops on this trip were just overlooks.  We would often just pull the car over and take a few pictures.  Sometimes we got out of the truck and other times we took the pictures from the truck.  Often it was Mariah, the kids and I who would get and see the views up close.  At one point we were deciding whether or not to stop at one of the recommended spots on my list… we needed a bathroom, so Matthew and I were looking to see if there was one there. Thankfully, at the last minute we saw there was one, so we took the turnoff and headed to Schwacher Landing which was a dirt road off the main loop.  On the road down another vehicle stopped to let us know there was a moose in the water.  Of course, we all jumped out to go find the moose… forgetting all about the bathroom.  We were NOT disappointed.  I have never been this close to a moose before… I did make sure that someone else was always closer.  I took a few pictures and decided not to take my chances near this majestic wild animal.  


Oxbow Bend Overlook...


Elk Ranch Flats Overlook... 

Snake River Overlook... 



Schwacher Landing...  so glad we stopped here..!


What a beautiful creature... 



I loved the view of the mountain behind her...
I guess it was a mama... the baby was hiding in the grass. 



Family pictures with the moose... 


Glacier View Turnout

Our next stops included Mormon Historic District which included some beautiful views with old buildings. We quickly left this area.  Next up was the Chapel of Transfiguration which was one of my favorite views.  This little church was built in 1925 and continues to have services on Sundays during the summer months.  I could not imagine going to church with this view every morning… Man alive it was gorgeous, and I can’t imagine how people could see these mountains and this view and not believe in God. 

Mormon Row Historic District... Famous Barn


Other houses and buildings... 


Mason wrote a rap... 


I loved this cool little church... we even stopped to have lunch here. 




Imagine that view during the sermon... 



It was hard to get pictures without people...
we were okay with "our" people... 



The main stop in the Grand Tetons was at Jenny Lake.  Unfortunately, Matthew wasn’t able to participate in this activity.  We did bring him a pillow and downloaded movies on his phone so he could relax while we were gone.  We opted to take the boat across the lake and save a couple mile walk to the other side.  After walking ½ mile uphill to the waterfall we had to make a decision… who was going to go the rest of the way up to Inspiration Point.  Chris and Sarah decided to stay back at the waterfall with Lily, while the rest of us continued on.  It was a long, slow walk up… Everyone was so kind to stop and let me rest as we climbed up… especially Mariah.  I got to a point where I had decided that I didn’t need to go all the way up… until a couple was coming down and informed us that it was only one more loop around… so I used the little energy I had left and completed the hike.  We stayed at the top enjoying the view for a while and then headed back down to pick up Chris, Sarah and Lily so we could all catch the boat back across.  We contemplated how the timing was perfect.  We were able to do the hike with cooler temperatures than if we had gone in the morning and by the time, we came back down there wasn’t a mile long line for the boat… we pretty much walked right up to it.  God was so good in the timing of our entire trip. 

The kids chose to sit together... 

I enjoyed the boat ride across Jenny Lake... 


Views on the hike up...


We made it to Hidden Falls

Cool animal hiding out at the falls... 


Romantic pictures at Hidden Falls


Kids shot at the Falls... 


More views as we continued up the mountain...

That is what we had to climb up... 



My least favorite part of the hike...



We finally made it to the top... to find chipmunks awaiting us.



What a view... no wonder it is called
"Inspiration Point"





Enjoying the chipmunk family...

Heading back down... much easier!



Lily wanted a kid picture on a rock... 


Taking the boat back across... 



Beautiful views all around... 



Cool little cabin by the water...

There was only about 12 miles left of the loop before we made it back to the dam so we decided that instead of taking the time to finish the loop that instead we would head back down to Jackson Hole and check out the town.  It was a hopping town…. We contemplated going up the Gondola but after finding out the price decided to go find dinner instead. It took forever for us to get a seat at the restaurant, and we were all ready to eat by the time the food arrived.  It had been a long, tiring day. 

Dinner at the Gun Barrel... 




I ordered the Mixed Game Grill 
Elk Steak, Buffalo Prime Rib, and Venison Bratswurst
It wasn't cheap but it was delicious... 
Matthew of course ordered Rosemary Chicken...


Mariah ordered a HUGE burger... 


After dinner, Chris and Sarah headed back to the cabin with their kids while the rest of us stayed in Jackson Hole for another hour or so checking out the town. It reminded us of Argentina with the plaza in the middle and all the shops surrounding it.  Of course, everything closing early was a bummer.  We were able to buy a few souvenirs, take a few pictures, walk around and see things and then head home.  We got back to the cabin sometime around midnight… tired and ready for another day of rest. 

I loved the entrances to the plaza at every corner... 

They had cool artwork all around town... 



 

No comments: