Living Life...

Living Life...

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Choosing Forgiveness – Chapter 3 – The Promise of Forgiveness

I am going through a book called “Choosing Forgiveness-Your Journey to Freedom” by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.  It is an area in my life that I am struggling with… and this book has been very convicting.  I am going to share only some of the quotes that have impacted my life as I study this book and my own heart.  I have not been able to completely forgive those who have hurt me… I am a work in progress but it is my desire to forgive completely.  I don’t want to go into the details of the pain but I would love prayer as I walk through this journey towards freedom. 

I believe that most of us, in our dealings with others and the pain they've brought into our lives, would love to get to that point.  We’d love to see the pain and bitterness gone, a non-issue, done away with.  But the problem is, we know that pushing a button won’t make all the feelings disappear.  Why set ourselves up for disappointment, perhaps leaving the door open for this to happen again and to hurt us even worse?  Why go to all the emotional trouble of transacting forgiveness if it won’t repair the gaping hole in our hearts, at least not for a good long time. 

*** That is definitely true with me… I would love to see all the pain and bitterness gone completely.  I would love to forgive but I also know that it won’t necessarily erase all of the pain.  I feel a loss in my heart… one that I don’t know how to repair. I do know that I serve a good God and that on most days I can find joy and peace in the work and ministry He has prepared for me… but that still doesn't erase the pain… and unfortunately reconciliation will take more than just me being able to forgive.  It is going to take a long time for me to trust some people again… if I am ever able to trust them.  


When it comes to forgiveness, our Lord would not command us to do something that He would not enable us to do… So while forgiveness is indeed costly, it is not beyond the means of those who have Christ’s life flowing within them. 

*** It is hard to trust someone and forgive them when they don’t think they have done anything wrong… when instead of seeking forgiveness they just blame you for everything…. when they justify all of their actions…  when they don’t want reconciliation or even forgiveness.  This is definitely one of the most painful experiences I have ever had… and my biggest prayer is that God will heal my heart… that He will remove the sting of pain… that He will remove the bitterness… and that He will give me wisdom for the next step in the process. 


Do you have a situation where forgiveness seems impossible?  Perhaps you’re thinking, “I just can’t forgive this person for what he’s done to me.  It’s too painful to deal with.  He’s done it too many times.  He’s hurt me too deeply.”  I wouldn't begin to deny the “deeply hurt” part.  But we must ask ourselves- “Is my ability or willingness to forgive based on the magnitude of the offense?”  It will never be the depth of your love that causes you to forgive such heartless acts and attitudes.  It will never be within your power to overlook the wicked lies and wild justifications of those who have made you distrustful of just about everybody.  It will be the love of Christ transplanted into your believing heart that can exchange you weakness for his strength. 

***Wow… every time I read this I am reminded how much I need Christ.  I need His love to be transplanted into my heart in big ways… my own love is so inadequate.  While I have the desire to forgive… the pain is so deep and I don’t understand how in the end we became the ‘bad guys’.  I also don’t understand what forgiveness looks like since I do not want to go back to the way things were… I don’t want to live in the fear and frustration that I was experiencing… nights without sleeping… days of crying out to God for guidance and wisdom… I can’t go back… so what does the future look like..?  What will my life look like when I am completely immersed in the love of God?  Will His love wipe away all the pain or will it just help me to continue on one day at a time.  My emotions are definitely on a roller coaster… some days I feel like I am making progress… and then the next day I feel like I have fallen back into the pit. 

 Is it my job to make you pay for what you've done?  Do I really want the added burden of this after all I've been through already?  Isn't it foolish to think that revenge could be a sweet as advertised- sweet enough to make up for the pain of all these years?

***Thankfully, even with all of the pain… I still don’t wish for them to pay for what they've done… I pray that God will have mercy on them… that they will seek after him… that they will see the truth… that my eyes will be opened up to any lies I may be telling myself… that all of our hearts will be softened. 

I am not suggesting that we should shield others at all costs from the consequences of their actions, or just take anything they inflict on us and sit there doing nothing… I’m saying that their judgment before God is not ours to accelerate. 

*** I am so thankful that I do not have to be the one to judge others of their sins… I am thankful for God’s forgiveness of my own sins.  I am disappointed that consequences that should have been in effect were removed… that actions were justified… and because of that lessons that could have been learned weren't… but there is nothing I can do about that and all I can do is pray that in the future they will learn healthier ways of interacting.  I pray they won’t continue down a path of destruction. 

Even when you can’t see the results- though the situation may not clear up entirely or get any better at all- you can still know that you’ve done what God has required of you.  You can continue to forgive as His grace and love flow through you.  And you can walk in peace- His peace. 


*** AMEN..!  This is definitely my heart’s desire..!

No comments: