On Saturday morning Matthew, German, Mariah and I went to the feria in
Posadas to buy Christmas presents and souvenirs. We made the kids stay home so we could get
last minute gifts for them as well. It
did not take long to find what we wanted but it was a lot of walking around for
Matthew since it was not conducive for him to use his wheelchair in the
market.
Afterwards we headed home, and German made raviolis for lunch
everyone. His family came over for lunch
as we waited for his younger brother to arrive from Salta. Christian and his family arrived and spent
some time hanging out with the family and enjoying the pool. After lunch, I decided to take a siesta (nap)
and Matthew enjoyed a dip in the pool.
We also were able to get the rest of our money exchanged. The exchange
rate is so crazy, I am not going to get used to the fact that the peso to
dollar is around 1000:1. When I lived in
Argentina it was only 3:1 and when I was here around six years ago it was still
around 40:1 (which I thought was insane).
After the siesta, Christian and his family headed to the beach and then
back to Diego’s house. Everyone was
going to come back for dinner, but they were tired so instead we went to
Diego’s for Choripan. There were way too
many dogs in the neighborhood for my liking.
I would definitely not want to spend much time there and practically had
to run to the car as we were leaving.
In Argentina most people celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, so Sunday
was an important day for us. We had a
relaxing morning and then enjoyed Milanessa de pollo for lunch. Shortly after
eating lunch, we lost power, and it remained out for most of the
afternoon. Since it was so hot, we all
went down for the Siesta to get out of the heat. We were starting to stress about what we
were going to do if we didn’t get electricity back, especially since we also
ran out of water and couldn’t fill the tank back up until we got power back
on. We were also bummed that we couldn’t
keep track of the Seahawks game without internet but regardless they still
one. Thankfully, it came back, and we
raced to take showers. Of course, I had to get pictures of the sunset before my
shower because I knew I would miss it if I waited until after my shower.
Family started arriving and we did fireworks for the kids as we got the food set up and German’s sister decorated the table. I became the photographer as my camera took the best pictures, so I made sure to get pictures of all the families throughout the night.
We enjoyed dinner which consisted of cold meats (which I don’t enjoy such
as tongue, etc.), empanadas arabes (what I ate), and a few other things. Of course, I also enjoyed the fruit salad for
dessert. After dinner, we kept an eye on
the clock since Christian’s kids wanted to know when Santa would arrive. Just before midnight, they took them to the
street to watch the fireworks and magically, the gift were under the tree. It was fun to see the joy in their face as
they opened their gifts. Matthew and I gave
pesos to Soraya, Lio and Pablo so they could go shopping at the feria. We also gave a Terere set (like I bought for
myself) to German’s parents with cash inside, they were so grateful for the
gift and were excited to use it. We were
surprised with gifts from German and Mariah and German’s parents. Afterwards, we sat around visiting and taking
a few more pictures. Matthew and I
headed to bed earlier than most.
On Christmas day we all slept in and then spent the day relaxing at the
house. German’s family came back over
for the day. We enjoyed an asado and
time in the pool. It was a typical
Argentine Christmas day that I was used to when I lived here. It reminded me of when I lived in
Catamarca. The day was spent enjoying
time with family, eating good food, finding water to get out of the heat.
Of course, I also have been taking time throughout the days to do my
Bible study and get my focus right. Some
days my mind has been so scattered, and it has been hard to focus but I would
try to escape to the room or a quiet spot to spend time alone with the
Lord. I am so grateful for all that He
did for us in coming to earth so that we could live forever with Him in
heaven. I don’t ever want to forget
about that… especially during the Christmas season.







.jpg)
















































































No comments:
Post a Comment