Living Life...

Living Life...

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Alaskan Cruise 2023… Boarding & A Day at Sea..!

We had been planning our cruise to Alaska for so long that I was beyond excited when it finally arrived.  Alaska is one of the few states I have not been to, and I have always wanted to try a cruise, so it was the perfect combination.  Originally, we were going to go in August 2020 for my sister’s wedding, but Covid decided to change those plans.  Instead, she had her wedding in her backyard, and we rescheduled it for when Covid was no longer affecting the cruise lines.

With Matthew needing a wheelchair accessible room, we had to book it way in advance.  We were able to get an amazing upgrade to an extended balcony for free though, so it was well worth the wait.  A handful of the people who were going to go for the wedding decided to still go on the cruise, so it ended up being a nice mixed group of people which included, Matthew and I, Kim and Keb, my Parents, my Aunt Sandi and cousin Carrie, and my Uncle Chuck.  With all of Kim’s experience going on cruises, she became our official cruise guide and helped us prepare for the trip.  


Boarding the Cruise..! (Minus Uncle Chuck)

We boarded the Carnival Spirit ship on August 1st and with our Faster to Fun plan were able to put our carry-on items in our rooms right away before meeting back up for lunch.  Most of us decided to eat Guy Fieri’s Burger’s for lunch and they were absolutely delicious.  

Yummy Lunch... 

Afterwards, Kim took us on a tour of the ship, so we knew how to get to all the important locations while we were on board.  We decided to unpack and then everyone met up on our balcony as we left Seattle.  We decided to all get the Carnival chat so we could stay connected while on the ship when we didn’t have service.  

Drinks while we tour the ship. 


Our balcony... loved it..!


Goodbye Seattle... 

Kim, Keb, Matthew and I ended up eating dinner the first night at the Steakhouse.  Since we were celebrating our anniversary on this trip, Matthew wanted to make sure that we took advantage of everything that was recommended.  It was quite an experience and we all enjoyed it very much.  Of course, they added a special touch when they brought dessert out recognizing our anniversary.  

Elevator up to dinner...

Miniature hamburger...


Surf and Turf for dinner... 



Dessert Choices... 


Elevator back down...!

After dinner, Matthew and I decided to head up to the upper deck to look at the full moon.  We found our way up top and enjoyed the view for a while.  It was beautiful but windy.  On our way back to the room we decided to check out the comedy show.  It was part-way through the first one, so we stayed for the next show and enjoyed ourselves. 


Enjoying the full moon & company


Comedy show

Before going to bed for the evening, I enjoyed some time on our balcony doing my Bible Study. I loved being able to go outside and listen to the waves, watch the stars, and spend some time with God. 


Enjoying the balcony for my quiet time...



The next day was a full day at sea, so we had a relaxing morning.  We decided to do the day at sea brunch in the main dining room as a group.  Afterwards, I went for a walk. I had been in the habit of walking every day and wanted to keep it up on the cruise. The sun deck was the perfect one to walk laps around and it made it even better that as I was walking, I would glimpse whales along the cruise. 


Matthew spent a lot of the day resting so he would be able to participate in activities in the evening and while we were at port.  I was able to connect with Uncle Chuck for lunch, so we got Chinese food and then found a spot to eat in the Adults only serenity section of the ship.  Eventually the others met up with us there, but it was fun catching up with him and what he was up to in life.  


This was our first dress up night on the cruise, so we all got dressed up and met up before dinner to take pictures. We took a few whole group pictures and some smaller group pictures.  

Matthew and Me

Kim, Mom & Me

Dad & Mom

Aunt Sandi & Carrie

The Whole Group...!

Keb & Kim

Dinner in the main lounge was always a treat. You could order as many sides as you wanted and up to two entrees. On occasion they would have rare finds that you could try like Alligator meat.  I would take advantage of the opportunity and try many of the rare things but also took advantage of all the seafood I could eat.  Of course, my favorite dessert was the lava cake with peanut butter and ice cream on the side.  I ordered it almost every night. 

The nightly toast... 

Mom wanted the cups but tasted it too.. 


Surf and Turf again... 


Lava Cake for Dessert... 

After dinner most of us decided to go to one of the shows.  Every night they would have a show with a different genre of music.  They were pretty good, sometimes a little cheesy but entertaining, nonetheless.  The music was always enjoyable.





Afterwards, we went back to our rooms to get into comfy clothes before meeting back up for the comedy shows.  Matthew and I got a couple pictures with the sunset on our balcony too. We had an enjoyable time at the comedy show with Mom & Dad and Kim & Keb. 

One of the many towel creations... 


Sunset picture with Matthew... 



Enjoying the comedy show..!



Before calling it a night, I picked up pizza for Matthew.  It was so nice to be able to go up a couple flights and be able to order pizza and have it instantly ready.  Matthew is always hungry at night, and this was the perfect midnight snack for him. 

Matthew loved the midnight snack... 

No comments: