Living Life...

Living Life...

Sunday, August 6, 2023

Alaskan Cruise 2023… Ketchikan – 12th Anniversary…!

The stop in Ketchikan was not going to be very long so I looked at the various activities they offered in the area and chose the one I was the most interested in.  Matthew and I were spending our 12th anniversary at this port, so I called ahead to make sure everything was going to be wheelchair accessible so he would be able to participate and thankfully it was.  We invited everyone to join us and everyone, but my Aunt Sandi and cousin decided to come along for the excursion. 


Arriving to Ketchikan... 


We booked our tickets to the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show directly from the website and saved some money.  I only recommend doing this if there is no chance that you’ll return late to the ship since if the excursion is purchased from Carnival and returns late, then they pay to get you back to the cruise, otherwise you have to pay.  We chose to purchase the middle show in case we arrived late to port and to make sure we had plenty of time afterwards to get back to the ship.

I was very excited to watch the Lumberjack show.  Matthew and I had front row seats since that is where they had wheelchair seating.  The rest of the crew was right behind us. We ended up being on the Team Canada.  The show as a competition between two camps: Spruce Mill from the USA and Dawson Creek from Canada.  Whenever they won an activity, they put a flag up for their team and someone from their side had the opportunity to win a postcard.  I tried my hardest to cheer whenever we won to get a postcard but even being in the front row, I didn’t get one. Regardless, I had a lot of fun and enjoyed the competitions, cheering on my team, and the humor that was interspersed throughout the entire show. I am so glad that we decided to book this excursion.  

Front row views... 


Lots of pictures of the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show

The Chef - AKA - Show Host

12 Different Competitions: 

Spruce Mill - USA

Dawson Creek - Canada






This guy was hilarious... 








We were up-close and personal at times...






Fighting right next to us... 





He created a bunny... 



He turned it into a kid's chair... 
Unfortunately, the kid who won was not able to take it...
So he ended up destroying it...!














This fall was a bit painful... 











Afterwards, we didn’t have ton of time left in Ketchikan, so we just walked around the town.  One of my requirements was to find the sign so Matthew went with me in search of it but after awhile we decided to ask and I’m glad we did because I’m not sure I would have found it… I didn’t look up high enough. Matthew’s one big gift of the trip was his gold nugget for his necklace but we found that in Skagway so we just had to buy small things in Ketchikan… he really wanted to buy me something for our anniversary so I found a really cool picture frame that I liked to remind me of all the good memories from the trip because this experience was all I needed… plus another sweatshirt since I was collecting them from all the ports. We headed back with our souvenirs so we wouldn’t be late and so Matthew could rest before the evening activities.  He still wasn’t feeling the greatest but wanted to spend the day with me since it was our anniversary. 


We found the Welcome sign :)







We had such beautiful weather at all of our ports but when we were at sea, we had some choppy weather.  I was glad I brought along some nausea meds for this very reason.  It was crazy watching the fog roll in so quickly.  I decided to rest myself before dinner.  



In rolled the fog!


Dinner was another dress up night which was perfect since it was our anniversary.  We got all dressed up and made reservations for dinner.  We then went and took some pictures before finding out that our reservations were going to be another 40 minutes longer, so we found a place to sit at the bar nearby.  After waiting, they took us to separate tables, which was very disappointing since had waited over an hour to sit as a group. It was not quite the same experience sitting in two different groups and not the way I wanted to spend our anniversary dinner, but we made the most of it.  Matthew didn’t feel well so he didn’t end up eating dinner.  I enjoyed the Surf and Turf meal they offered but also didn’t have the biggest appetite, so I was not able to finish it. 


Happy Anniversary!!!






Still getting in a toast... 

Surf and Turf for dinner... yum!

After dinner, we decided to try out the new comedians that joined the ship in Juneau.  Everyone else joined us for the evening entertainment except Uncle Chuck.  We quickly realized that the second group of comedians were not as good as the first group.  We were very disappointed.  In fact, the first comedian of the evening was so bad that the others went to bed afterwards and didn’t stay for the next show.  He spent the entire time talking about his sex life and at one point mooned the entire audience… I was glad we were in the back and didn’t have the greatest view for that moment.  The next comedian was so bad that Matthew and I left in the middle.  He was trying to joke about racism, and cop shootings.  It wasn’t worth our time and Matthew still felt horrible, so we headed back to the room. 

Enjoying each other...not the show!

For the most part it was an amazing anniversary. Matthew and I had a lot of fun even if things were not perfect.  I wish he could have been feeling better but am blessed with a husband that puts me first so often. We have been through so much in the past 12 years, but God has walked with us through it all.  This trip has been the trip of a lifetime for me, and I am so glad we were finally able to do it together.


No comments: