Living Life...

Living Life...

Friday, August 4, 2023

Alaskan Cruise 2023… Skagway..!

When we got to Skagway we went our separate way for most of the day.  My parents, Aunt, Cousin, and Uncle decided not to do an excursion and just spent the day walking about the town before heading back to the ship. 


A view of Skagway... an Alaskan port town... 


Someone had a medical emergency... 
Matthew and I watch them pick up people in airplanes all the time on TV. 


Kim and Keb decided to splurge on a Helicopter ride to a glacier where they were able to go dog sledding and play with the puppies in training.  This was their big hurrah for the trip and first time being in a helicopter. They loved every minute of this experience. 


Enjoying their helicopter ride...



Amazing views along the way... 





On top of the glacier... 


Having fun with the dogs... 



Guiding the dogs...



Loving the time with the dogs and puppies!



Heading back to town...


Matthew and I decided to splurge on a luxury train ride.  We have already been on a helicopter, and I wasn’t very interested in being around dogs.  We got the first-class seats which is at the back of the train and had our very own tour guide for the trip.  We were also provided with snacks (which was basically a meal) and free drinks (wine/juice/etc.) for the entire ride.  The train went up the mountain range into Canada and back and took us along the route the gold rush explorers went. It was a lot of fun learning about the history and seeing all the views in the luxury of the train.  

Waiting for the train to arrive...

My "snack" which was definitely a meal especially since I ate Matthew's too. 
Love me some seafood snacks... 

Graveyard... 

You can rent this train car in the middle of nowhere...

Lots of spectacular views along the way... 






I loved going through the tunnels... 




Pictures from the back of the train... 



















We made it to Canada... 



Out tour guide/server for the trip.. 

What was required to travel to Alaska back in the day. 

Heading back... 




Matthew enjoying the luxury seats... 






Little surprises along the track left by one of the train engineers. 




Toasting a fellow train that passed by...
They were jealous of our drinks!










Afterwards, we walked around town and Matthew was able to get a fancy knife he really liked. Then we met up with Kim and Keb in town and went to one of the Saloons for drinks. It was quite an experience.  I could not imagine having lived there during the gold rush… especially being a woman. 


Time to explore the town for a bit... 



Matthew bought his knife in this store... 

Drinks with Kim and Keb

Our waitress was behind Keb... 

We didn't stay for the tour... 

We made it back to the ship with plenty of time to spare.  I cannot remember which of the stops it was but as I was walking around the ship to get in my steps, I saw a boat approaching our ship and latch on briefly… come to find out it was dropping off the party that missed the departure.  I really hope they were late due to an excursion they bought from Carnival and didn’t have to pay for the ride back to the ship. That was one of my greatest fears…. Being late to board… so we always arrived with plenty of time. 


Towel creation for the day!

Catching fish outside our window... 


Of course, we met back up as a group for dinner and shared about our experiences in Skagway.  I enjoyed the food and entertainment during dinner, and we planned out what we wanted to do for the evening.  Most of us decided to go to the Love & Marriage Show which was absolutely hilarious.  They took volunteers from the audience… the couple married the longest (about 70 years) the Newlyweds (6 days – on their Honeymoon) and a couple in-between the two (ended up being married for 3 or 4 years).  They had to write down answers to questions and see if they matched the answers of their spouse.  Of course, the longest married couple had the sweetest answers. The newlyweds, I wasn’t sure if they would stay married after the show, but they asked me to take their picture the next day, so they were still together thankfully.  And the middle couple had the most answers correct. We laughed a lot during the show but afterwards decided to call it a night since it was going to be an early morning the next day. 

Trying some new foods... 


Time for another toast to a great day!



Dinner & Entertainment... 



What a great show... Lots of laughter!

No comments: