Living Life...

Living Life...

Monday, April 6, 2020

Visiting my Grandma… and then bang Covid-19 Hit..!



When I went to visit my Grandma back in February I didn’t realize how important this visit would become… I had a doctor’s appointment in the area so I decided to swing by and spend time with her afterwards.  I spent a couple hours with my Grandma since I arrived just as she sat down to eat lunch.  She was in good spirits that day and I enjoyed watching her banter back and forth with the people at her table… of course she was not too fond of the food… she rarely is. 

After lunch Grandma and I went back to her room, where she devoured the chocolates I brought her… it is amazing how quickly her appetite came back in the presence of chocolate 😊 We had a good visit while watching some of her favorite tv shows (though she hates tv and never watches it if you ask her). 

I didn’t know that this would be the last time I could see my Grandma for a while… I know that God is watching over her house and that He will take her home when it is her time to go… but hopefully I will be able to see her when this epidemic is over. 

Grandma enjoying her chocolates... 

She ate through half the box... 



It was the following day that the first resident of Life Care Center in Kirkland was transferred to a hospital and later diagnosed with Covid-19.  Of course, know one knew for about a week or so how widespread it had become at the Life Care Center and then beyond.  The Life Care Center was known as ground Zero in the United States as Washington was the first state to have known cases and deaths started piling up.  One of my co-worker’s aunt was among one of the deaths from the Life Care Center…

Soon after, I found out that one of my student’s parents was exposed to Covid-19 at the hospital where he works.  Thankfully, they took the necessary precautions and kept her home and isolated the family during this time… though there were not enough tests to have him tested.  He never came down with symptoms but it was a comfort knowing that we were all safe just in case.  It did not take long for my students to quit coming to school altogether. Parents were getting concerned about the situation, especially since our program prepares students for vocational and life skills and we spend half the day in the community. 

I think we were all shocked when school was canceled for six weeks on March 12th.  I was expecting the closure to be three weeks, long enough to get us to Spring Break, but six weeks?  We started off the week thinking that it was going to be a crazy week having a daylight savings, a full-moon, and Friday the 13th all in one week… never did we expect it school to be closed and Covid-19 to spin out of control.  To top it off, I woke up on Friday to snow… 

Friday the 13th with Snow

Honestly, I wish I had been documenting my thoughts as time went by instead of waiting until today… so many thoughts and feelings as I reflect on how life has changed this past few months.
January 21 – First Coronavirus case confirmed in US (Washington state) in a man who returned from Wuhan, China on January 15. 

February 29th – First Coronovirus related death in the United States – connected to the Life Care Center 

March 4th – County bought EnconoLodge in Kent to quarantine coronavirus patients – There was a lot of conflict around this so we quit going to the bowling alley jobsite with our students.  Death toll rose to 10.  It was recommended anyone that was pregnant, over 60 or had underlying conditions avoid crowds. 

March 5th – Pence came to meet with Jay Inslee.  Larger companies and tech companies started having anyone that work remotely do so. 

March 9th – Washington death toll increased to 22%.  Stocks plunged 7%.  It was the worst day since the 2008 recession. 

March 11th – Covid-19 was declared a pandemic.  Inslee banned gatherings of more than 250.  NBA suspended games.  Woodland Park Zoo closed

March 12 – Schools closed for 6 weeks (April 27th). NHL suspended the season.  Princess Cruises halted for 60 days.  Libraries closed.  A coronavirus patient at the Econolodge left the premises (as originally predicted). President Trump declared a national emergency.  Washington count went up to 37 deaths and 570 confirmed cases (many could not be tested). Disneyland closed.

March 13 – Hospitals started canceling all elective surgeries to conserve resources. 

March 15 – Death toll reached 42 with 772 confirmed cases.  Inslee closed all recreational facilities as well as bars and restaurants (except for take-out). 

March 16th – A Seattle woman became the first person to receive an experimental coronavirus vaccine.  Canadian border was closed. 

March 17th – Coronavirus cases were confirmed in all 50 states.

March 18th – Over 200,000 cases worldwide.  Grocery stores limited the number of people allowed in at a time.  Trump enacted the 1950 Defense Production Act to ensure medical professional had essential supplies. 

March 20th – Social distancing was highly encouraged or more measures would be taken.  Washington now had 81 deaths and 1512 cases.  The border with Mexico was closed except for essential travel.  Student loans were suspended by Trump.  Playgrounds in Washington were closed. 

March 21st – Stores started having hours specially for Senior citizens and people with compromised health. 

March 22nd – Washington Campgrounds were closed until the end of April. 

March 23 – Inslee announced “Stay at Home Order” until April 6th.  All non-essential business were closed.  There were 110 reported deaths and 2221 cases. 

March 25th – Federal officials reached a deal on a $2 trillion aid package.  Home test kits were launched.  Prince Charles tested positive. 

March 26th – Inslee signed a proclamation that allowed for doctor appointments to be handled over the phone – Insurances could not deny payment.  133,000 people from Washington filed for unemployment the previous week alone (3.3 million Americans nationwide).  The United States overtook all other countries in confirmed Coronavirus cases.  New York passed Washington in number of cases 519 deaths and 44,635 reported cases.  Washington only has 147 deaths and 3207 cases (still limited testing).  

March 29 – Trump extended Social Distancing until April 30th

March 30th – The 2020 Tokyo Olympics were rescheduled for July 23-Aug 8, 2021.
 
March 31st – It was predicted that the US could have between 100,000-240,000 deaths nationwide from coronavirus. 

April 1st – Carnival cancelled all Alaska cruises through June 30th

April 2nd – Inslee extended the “Stay at Home” order until May 4th.  Life Care Center is looking at over $600,000 in fines and losing its Medicare provider agreement.  The IRS warns people to be on the lookout for scams related to the coronavirus. 

April 3rd – CDC recommends wearing a face mask in public.  Western State plans to release 60 patients after patients and staff test positive.  Over 1 million cases worldwide and 53,000 deaths. 

April 4th – People are impersonating the police checking for essential worker status in Spokane.  Trump commended Washingtonians for slowing the spread of Coronavirus through social distancing.  IRS will be sending stimulus checks within the next few weeks. 

April 6th – It was announced that school was closed for the remainder of the year.  Education will be online only.  Confirmed Covid-19 cases in the US has reached 337,620 with 9,643 deaths (1/3 in New York alone).  We have double the cases than any other country.  Stores will greatly limit the number of people allowed in the store and implement one-way isles. 

Who knows how much longer this will last… who knows what life will look like in the months to come.  I am trying to wrap my brain around providing online services to my students with significant disabilities.  I have been doing some online classes to keep me busy and continue learning during this time.  This post has a lot of facts about what has been going on… I will write another post about some thoughts and feelings I have had in the midst of it all.  

No comments: