It is hard to look back at August and remember the trials we faced. In the midst of the blessings, we were thrown
some curve balls to try and knock us down. Out of respect of others I am not
going to give all the details, but it was definitely a month where God had to
hold me close and comfort me when things got hard.
Matthew and I had been looking forward to our trip to Montana all summer.
It was the only break I had all summer, and he had to pry me away from the
house remodel to get me to relax and spend a week not working.
We stayed with our good friends Jim and Josie. Since we got the truck days before the trip,
we were not planning on bringing the trailer and we just kept our original
plans. Of course, Matthew had a blast showing off our new truck to all of our
friends in the area.
There were very few people that we planned on seeing when we were in
town. One of the families was Levi and
Jen. We decided to meet up with them at
the town Rodeo on Sunday evening. It’s crazy how big their kids have gotten
since we’ve watched them grow throughout the years. It was a fun evening out just visiting and
enjoying a local event. They stay so busy they rarely get out themselves.
The only other person that we made plans with was Brandy. On Tuesday
evening we went over to her house to visit after she was done with work. I love catching up with Brandy and hearing
what is new in her life. She also stays
crazy busy and is always working on a project around the house or preparing for
a family reunion when we are in town. We
only stayed for a few hours, but it was a good visit.
The rest of the trip, we sat around and visited with Jim and Josie. I had lots of time to write in my blog about
the house remodel and get caught up (at the time). I also was able to spend lots of good time
with the Lord which was much needed. Jim
and Josie were a great support when Matthew and I found the news online that
shook our world. Sometimes looking up
names on the internet can have a devastating effect and catch you off
guard. I often wonder if it would have
been better to not have known what we found out… but God allows things to
happen for a reason and I have to trust that He is not only walking with us,
but everyone involved in the situation. We may never know all the details and
how the story is going to end but God does… and I have to trust that He will
continue to work in the details as they unfold. I am grateful that Jim was able
to speak into Matthew’s life and share stories about raising his children and
the pain they experienced throughout the process. God knows what we need, when we need it.
The trip ended way too quickly and soon we were headed home. I was excited to get back and see the progress
on the house. We did make a quick detour
to my Aunt Judy’s on the way home. She
made us breakfast and I was able to visit with Kyla and her boys too. We only stayed for a couple hours before
continuing on the rest of the way.
I didn’t know what to expect when we got home but was excited to see what
was accomplished. Our entire driveway
was taken over by the remodel… and turned into a painting station. German was busy trying to finish all the last-minute
details before we arrived. After touring the house, he was ready to pack up and
clean things up. There were only a few small
things that still needed to be finished besides the kitchen cabinets and touch-ups,
and he was behind on other projects he needed to start.
Over the weekend, Matthew and I went shopping for a new couch and bed for
our room. I spent the next few days organizing and cleaning so the house would
be ready for the furniture to be delivered. I wanted my house back in order and
ready before the school year started and I was running out of time.
The furniture was delivered on our anniversary, which was our goal… it
was like a mini-anniversary present to each other. He picked up pizza and wings for dinner, so I
didn’t have to cook. We then enjoyed some cobbler in our new bed. It was the perfect way to spend our
anniversary.
Alyssa and the kids moved in over the weekend, now that the house was completed
for the most part and safe. Lily was
super excited since I was watching her for the weekend and she really wanted to
be able to spend time with the kids.
The month was filled with so many last-minute details before work officially
started. Matthew and Cooper had to collect Dail’s ashes and find a time to
spread them at the Ocean. We wanted to
get the house sold before we head to pay another month’s rent. We got started on
the paperwork for the will and estate. I
also had to finish up the final “graduate” IEP meetings and end of the summer doctor
appointments.
Summer camp started the Sunday before school started and ended the day
before I was to go back to work. It was
a mixed blessing when Matthew and our time at camp ended early. Matthew had a disagreement with one of the
main leaders in his role as camp nurse which escalated, and we ended up
leaving. It was a whirlwind of an
experience but thankfully Matthew was able to convince the cop to check in on
the girl and she was able to get the medical treatment she needed but did not
want to leave camp to get.
After the experience at camp, I made the hard decision to step out of
youth ministry for a while. Camp was a miserable experience for me. I had a
migraine most of the time and it was cold and rainy. I love youth ministry but
at the same time this year, I have not made the deep connections with the youth
yet. I know that with more time some of
those connections will grow but it just is not the time. I did build some amazing friendships with
some of the other leaders that I will forever be grateful for. I know my limitations and this year I am going
to be swamped with working on my National Boards again and helping out with the
twins living with us. One day Matthew and I may return to youth ministry but
for now he is going to focus on Men’s Ministry, and I am going to focus on the
people God has placed in our life during this time period. Both of us need our
hearts to heal from all the difficulties we experienced over the summer.
Work started back up and I got back into the flow of things. Of course, we had the family gather to celebrate Jimmy and Seth’s birthday since my parents were still in town.
























.heic)
.heic)
.heic)
.heic)

























No comments:
Post a Comment