Fall always brings back a return of a new routine as work starts back up.
Work started out crazy this year. I
think each year has its own challenges.
This year, the challenge included losing four of our certified staff
members (only hiring two replacements over the summer) and having many of our
paras retire at the end of the year. We
also had to prepare for our graduates returning until their 22nd birthday. All of us teachers started with very high caseloads
until students started aging out.
This year was also the first year that teachers did not work on the same
day as paras before the start of school… our contracts contradict which makes
it so teachers come in before the paras and have a day off, and on that day off
the paras come in. I thought it was
crazy that we would not meet our new paras so I used my new special education
flex day to come in and meet the new staff.
This year I was going to have two job groups in my classroom and more of
a mix of students. My focus is split
between having students with more complex needs as well as students who receive
language learning services. I love my role as the MLE teacher and how I can grow
the program at TOP as we continue to integrate the high needs students. I had
fun re-organizing my classroom based on the set-up of my caseload. Of course,
we made some adjustments based on student needs as they arose. I also had the opportunity to have a student
teacher again.
My parents stayed longer than usual this summer, but they finally headed
out in September. We said our goodbyes
and they started their slow trip down to Texas with multiple stops along the
way.
Another difference to the routine this year was adjusting to life with
Alyssa and the twins. They moved in with
us in August, but their routine also changed in September. It has been a blessing to be able to support Alyssa
in this way and get to know her better. Matthew and I loved spending time with
the kids. There is nothing better than cuddle time with little ones. Of course, it was exciting having them start pre-school
and watching their growth as they spent time with other students. Their language has increased rapidly. Of course,
we started picking up Cooper more often so he can come over and spend time with
his daughter and grandchildren. He
enjoys going to church with us and spending Sunday watching the football games
with me.















No comments:
Post a Comment