Living Life...

Living Life...

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Home Remodel...Part 4 – Parents’ Bedroom & Sitting Room!

During the remodel process, my parents switched bedrooms with us, and they also took what was our “storage room” and turned it into their sitting room.  This blog will show the transition of those two rooms.

We used one of the bedrooms to store a lot of our belongings, extra food, and most of Matthew’s medical supplies.  I would often clean it up only to have it get cluttered over time.  It is also where I had my treadmill set up, so it was out of the way. 

Prior to moving into the house, this room must have been a nursery, as it still had a ring of wallpaper that needed to be removed. Once German removed the wallpaper, the rest of the room went very quickly. He pulled up the flooring, painted the walls, and put down the new flooring super-fast. 


Cleaning up our "storage room"




Just the treadmill to go... doesn't fit through the door 
German to the rescue... he got it out for me!



Pulling up the old flooring...



Emptying the entire closet... 
and
Painting the entire room


Walls and floors are done... 


Before I knew it, it was ready for me to move my parents’ belongings from the dining room into the “sitting room”.   I spent all weekend moving their boxes only to have them come into town a few days later, earlier than expected. I can’t complain though, because my father got right to work doing electrical work for me.  He volunteered to change out all the light switches and outlets so I could modernize them and have them match the new paint job. I am so blessed my father not only knows how to do this but was willing to spend his time here helping me out. 


Time to move my parent's belongings... 



Cleaning out the dining room finally!




Nice and organized for them to go through... 


A lot of work over the weekend... 


Verse going into my parents new "Sitting Room"


A little of my Dad's handywork... 


I thought this shirt was hilarious... 
he saved us a ton doing all the electrical work for us...
It did cost us Ice Cream for life!


Smart light switches for most of the lights..!

Of course, my mother got right to work going through the boxes and organizing the room and getting it set up.  They ended up buying a fireplace to prepare for the cold days since they know that Matthew likes to keep the house colder than they do.  It turned out to be a very cozy sitting room. 



Loving their new fireplace... 


The Sitting Room all set up... 



Once we moved out of our bedroom, German got right to work on remodeling it for my parents. It went just as fast as the other room… even faster since he didn’t have any wallpaper to deal with.  It was all ready for my parents to set up when they got home.

Of course, my mother got right to work organizing and decorating this room as well.  They even found some new lights at Costco and so we ended up buying matching lights for all the rooms that my dad installed for us.  As much work as the remodel was… I wanted my mom to feel like she was a part of it so that she had a say in some of the changes and it wasn’t so hard of a transition.  Of course, I imagine they will be excited for the year they can come back and visit and not have to work all summer long. 

Our old bedroom... we were so crammed into this tiny space

Verse going into my parent's new bedroom... 


Demo process was super quick




Letting the paint dry... 


Flooring is in and it is ready to go!



Time to move in their furniture... 



My dad doing the outlets... and installing new lights they found at Costco!



Room is finally decorated and ready to use... 


Of course, one of things I am most excited about is that the last few years, my parents have downsized and gone through their belongings.  This time around, we finally convinced my mom to give each of us children what she has been savings for years (baby books, school papers, newspaper articles, etc.) so she doesn’t have to store it all herself.  The more they go through now, the less I will have to go through later on.  

My sister in the news - She was excited to get these for her sports bar

Now I only have 3 boxes to store... 
while my siblings get all of their boxes!


No comments: