Living Life...

Living Life...

Saturday, August 6, 2022

Holiness: The Heart God Purifies - Chapter 6 – The Pathway to Holiness: “Put on”—Say “Yes” to Grace”

 Holiness:  The Heart God Purifies

By Nancy Leigh DeMoss

 Quotes & Summary in White – My thoughts in Red

 

Chapter 6 – The Pathway to Holiness: “Put on”—Say “Yes” to Grace”

Sin is a toxin that contaminates to the core of the human soul.  When God saved us it was with the intent of cleansing us from every vestige of sin.  He does so through the lifelong process called sanctification.  As we have seen, that process- the pursuit of holiness- requires something far more radical than simple reform or renovation.  It requires that we put to death- mortify or “put off”- the “old house,” that is, the corrupt deeds and desires of our flesh.  However, that’s just the beginning. God- the Master Architect and Builder- has drawn plans to rebuild new, holy lives as we “put on” the Lord Jesus and His righteousness.  To put-off without putting-on is like tearing down a condemned house and thinking your work is complete before the rebuilding is ever begun.  Putting off sinful practices isn’t sufficient to make us holy.  We must also put on righteousness. 

Lord, how many times have I tried to do a simple reform in my house…?  I try to cover my sin with a pretty picture and pretend that everything is fine… when what you want to do is completely renovate my life, room by room, brick by brick, until every area is pure and holy.  May I not only allow you to remove the corrupt sinful areas of my life but also stick around long enough to be built up in Your image. 

As with putting off sin, putting on the heart of Christ doesn’t just happen.  We have to be intentional about cultivating new patterns of godliness. This can take place only by the power of the Holy Spirit and the grace of God. 

It is only when we allow the Holy Spirit to be at work in our lives and we are intentional about cultivating new patterns of godliness that we will see changes in our life. Lord, I want to “put on” the qualities that were found in Christ – compassion, kindness, meekness, humility, patience, forgiveness, love, peace, and thankfulness (Col 3:12-17).  I want to be a reflection of You to the world.  I know that there is a lot of work left to do in my life… be at work in me and help me to remain faithful to the process.

God has provided many different means of grace to help us in the process of putting on holiness.  These activities and provisions are not an end in themselves-they are simply means through which we can draw near to God to receive and experience His transforming grace in our lives.  I want to highlight six “means of grace” that have been particularly significant in my personal process of sanctification and spiritual transformation. 

1)     The Word

The Word of God is one of the most vital agents of sanctification in the life of a believer.  Jesus prayed, “Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth (John 17:17).  God’s word has the power to protect us from sin and to purify us when we do sin. David understood the necessity and value of the Scripture in his pursuit of godliness. “How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word… I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.” (Psalm 119:9,11)

In addition to its cleansing properties, the Word has the power to renew our minds, to transform us into the image of Christ, and to infuse us with Christian graces. Reading, studying, memorizing, and meditating on Scripture—these disciplines provide weed control and fertilizer for the garden of my heart, guarding and purifying me from sin and stimulating growth in grace. 

No believer can withstand the assault of temptation and the encroachment of the world apart from a steady intake of the Word of God.  (Nor can we feed on a diet of unholy reading material and entertainment and expect to have pure hearts or to grow spiritually.) Mark it down—your progress in holiness will never exceed Your relationship with the Word of God.

Lord, may Your Word become my life stream… the thing I long for when I get up in the morning, what I look to when I need wisdom, what I crave throughout the day, what my mind constantly goes back to when troubles abound… our minds can wander so easily and I want to be so immersed in Your Word that when my mind begins to wander it wanders to the various Scriptures I am meditating on.  I want to get back into the habit of memorizing Scriptures. I want to focus on verses that bring me hope when I am worried.  Lord, may Your Word cleanse me when I have fallen into sin once again.  May it be my strength when I am tempted.  May it purify me and sanctify me so I can be a shining example of Your love to the world.  Lord, fill me up with Your Word, give me a desire for Your Word… make it come alive again. 


2)     Confession

Though we don’t hear a lot about this gracious provision in most of our churches, confession—humbly, honestly acknowledging our sin to God and to others—is an essential ingredient for anyone who wants to live a holy life. 

We cannot sin and just move on as if nothing had happened, without our spiritual growth being stymied. “Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy.” (Proverbs 28:13)

 We may not be consciously concealing our sin, but if we do not consciously confess it, we cannot prosper spiritually.  David knew from painful experience what it was like to live under the weight of unconfessed sin—a burden that affected even his physical body and emotional well-being.  “When I kept silent (about my sin), my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.  For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.” (Psalm 32:3-4)

Not until David was willing to step into the light and uncover his sin did David experience the joy and freedom from being forgiven and clean once again.  “I acknowledge my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, ‘I will confess my transgression to the Lord,’ and you forgave the iniquity of my sin.” (Psalm 32:5)

Many Christians are bowed down under the heavy load of a guilty conscience, with its physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual consequences—all because they do not regularly confess their sin to God. 

Biblical confession is first and foremost vertical—toward God.  However, it also has a horizontal dimension.  When our sin is against others, in addition to confessing our sin to God, we must also acknowledge our wrongdoing and, where possible, make restitution to those we have offended.  “Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.” (James 5;16)

Lord, if there are any areas of sin in my life that I have not dealt with… any areas that I have not openly confessed… any areas that I need to confess to another to seek restitution, then I pray that You would open my eyes to those areas.  I do not want to live under the burden of sin. 

I lived for years under its weight… bearing the consequences of my sins and the sins of others.  Trapped in the prison of bitterness. It was a long road to recovery, and I do not want to go back.

I know that I am not perfect… I know that I continue to sin… daily, sometimes every hour, but I want to be in such close communion with God that when I do sin, that I am just as quick to confess that sin (to God and others) and turn back to the right path.  Lord, give me a heart like David’s… one that is so in touch with yours that I am quick to recognize my own sins and turn from them.

 

3)     Communion

The Lord’s Supper is (or ought to be) one of the most vital and sacred practices in the life of the church and in every believer’s life.  It is intended to be a time of corporate remembrance and proclamation of the Lord’s death, which we are to observe “until he comes” (1 Corinthians 11:26). Scripture cautions us against partaking of the bread and cup “in an unworthy manner” those who do so are “guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord (v. 27).  In order to avoid such a serious offense, we are warned, “Let a person (first) examine himself (v. 28).  The consequences of failing to do so can be serious, or even fatal: “That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died” (v. 30). 

I can’t help but wonder how many of the physical weaknesses and illnesses experienced by believers are the direct result of God’s discipline.  Even more sobering is the thought of how many individuals have actually had their lives cut short because their hearts were not pure before God.  Only God knows. 

The point is that the Communion service should provide a regular opportunity and a powerful incentive for self-examination—making sure our conscience is clear before God and others, and “judging ourselves” so we will not have to come under the chastening hand of God (v 29-32).

The observance of the Lord’s Supper has often been an occasion for needed introspection, confession, and cleansing in my own life. 

Lord, I pray that You would open my eyes to my heart… is there an area in my life that I need to seek forgiveness from another… is there an area that I need to offer forgiveness to another.  Lord, I want to come before You with a clear conscience. I know that I need forgiveness from You each and every day… for not putting You first in my life.  Forgive me… forgive me for the many things I let distract me from my relationship with You… forgive me for my blatant sins.  Lord, draw me close to You.  Fill me with Your Holy Spirit… may I hear His voice guiding me, pointing out the areas of my life that I need to change.   


4)     The Body of Christ

As Christians we have not been left alone to deal with our sin.  God has graciously put us into a body of believers who are called to look out for one another and to stand together against the enemies that would threaten our holiness.  This family—the body of Christ—is a vital provision God has given to help us in our pursuit of holiness.  This is why it is essential for every believer to be in a committed relationship to a Christ-centered local church.

Being disconnected from the local church, for whatever reason, is a dangerous way to live.  Not only do these “lone rangers” miss out on the blessings of functioning within the context of the body of Christ, but like lone sheep away from the safety of the flock and watchful care of the shepherd, they are vulnerable to predators of every sort.

Each of us in accountable to God for our personal holiness.  At the same time, God never intended that we should battle sin single-handedly.  I frequently ask those in my circle of Christian brothers and sisters for prayer or accountability in areas where I know I am vulnerable to temptation or sin.  Is that a sign of weakness?  Yes, it is! The fact is, I am weak.  And so are you.  I need the body of Christ. And so do you.

Is it sometimes hard to confess my need and ask for help? Absolutely! It requires that I humble myself and acknowledge that I don’t have it all together. The very pride that keeps you from taking off your mask and getting real is the same pride that will cause you to fall into sin. 

We also have a responsibility to provide that kind of accountability and help to our Christian brothers and sisters.  We cannot stand by on the sidelines when we see fellow believers who are trapped in sinful practices.

This kind of mutual encouragement and exhortation must take place on a daily basis. Why? Because it takes less than 24 hours for our hearts to become hardened or deceived by sin (Hebrews 3:13).  No believer is immune to sin’s lure.  No believer can afford to be without consistent, day in, day out accountability to other believers.

 Lord, I need this fellowship with the church.  Thank you for leading Matthew and I to a church where we both feel comfortable.  Forgive me for taking so long to be willing to leave Faith so that Matthew could have a place where He could fellowship.  Lord, I pray that You would help me to develop friendships at Generational Hope. I need to build up a group so that I can have this type of accountability… women who will be able to support me, hold me accountable, lift me up when I am discouraged, pray for me, etc.  I also need to be able to provide the same support to other women… this is what we were created to do. 

 

5)     Church Discipline

Scripture has so much to say about the purifying, restorative effect of addressing sin corporately that it merits being singled out.  Whenever a believer refuses to deal with his sin privately, his sin becomes a public matter that requires the involvement and intervention of others in the body. 

In 1 Corinthians 5, Paul instructed the church on how to deal with one of its members who had committed immorality and was unrepentant.  By being excluded from the fellowship of believers, the man was symbolically removed from God’s protection and was left vulnerable to Satan, who could actually destroy his physical life.  The apostle Paul explained such extreme measures were for the good of the man himself (“that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord” v. 5).  Further, they were absolutely necessary to keep impurity from spreading like gangrene throughout the church: “Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?” (v.6). This passage describes the most extreme step of church discipline, which is to be taken only after all other routes have been exhausted and rejected. Matthew 18 provides further explanation of that process, in which the offender is repeatedly urged and given opportunity to repent. 

I attended a church recently that was exercising the final stages of church discipline with two members of the congregation.  As the situation was addressed from the pulpit that Sunday, I was reminded of the seriousness and the consequences of sin.  I experienced a fresh sense of the fear of the Lord and a renewed longing for God to guard my heart from sin and make me holy. 

The fact that so few churches today practice the process of church discipline has made is possible for immorality and ungodliness to flourish within the four walls of most of our churches.  How we need to reinstate this means of grace—for our own sakes, for the sake of fallen believers, and for the purity of the whole body.

Lord, may I take the sin in my own life serious.  May it never come to the point that a Pastor need to bring it before the entire congregation… but I do pray for a loving group to surround me and hold me accountable… to lovingly show me the areas in my own life that I need to change and allow the Holy Spirit to mold in me so I can become more Christ-like and honoring to You.  I want to live a Holy life, I want to obey You, I want to hate sin and love righteousness. 


6)     Suffering

No one wants to sign up for the school of suffering.  But suffering can be a powerful means of growing in holiness.  In fact, the pathway to holiness always involves suffering.  There are no exceptions, and there are no shortcuts. 

When our lives are all roses with no thorns or all sun with no clouds, we tend to become spiritually complacent and careless and to neglect serious self-examination and confession.  Affliction has a way of stripping away the stubborn deposits of selfishness, worldliness, and sin that build up in the course of everyday life.

Our suffering may be our heavenly Father’s loving response to our sin—sometimes called chastening (Hebrews 12:5-11).  Suffering may also come in the form of pruning, as God cuts away unnecessary or unproductive “twigs and branches” in our lives so we can bear more fruit (John 15:2).  We may be required to endure pain for the sake of the Gospel, or on behalf of others (2 Corinthians 1:6, 4:11-15). Or our sufferings may simply be the unavoidable pain associated with living in a fallen world that awaits final deliverance from the curse of sin (Romans 8:18-23). 

Regardless of its cause, affliction is a gracious gift from the hand of our heavenly Father who loves and disciplines us in order to purge us from sin and sanctify us.

Lord, help me to understand the benefits of suffering and to not allow it to make me bitter.  May I take time to see the work that You are doing in my life and through me even in the midst of these trials that Matthew and I have been enduring for years. I don’t want to live in the clouds… to allow the constant suffering to make me a bitter, unhappy, sinful person.  Strip away my selfishness, sinfulness, worldliness and mold me into the image of Your Son, Jesus.  May I love Matthew and draw closer to him through it all instead of trying to be his Holy Spirit.  Please be at work in his life and his heart. 


Making it Personal… I chose to leave these blank for you to reflect on... 

What are you doing to cultivate a heart for holiness and to put on the character of Christ?

1)     The Word

v  Are you getting a steady, sufficient intake of the Word into your life?

v  How has the Word protected you from sin in the past month?

v  What passage(s)of Scripture have you meditated on in the past week?

v  Are you getting more input from worldly sources or from the Word of God?

 

2)     Confession

v  When is the last time you consciously confessed your sin to God?

v  Have you committed any sins that you have not confessed to God?

v  Is there anyone you have sinned against to whom you need to confess your offense and whose forgiveness you need to seek?

v  Is there any sin you need to confess to other believers to humble yourself and so they can pray for you?

 

3)     Communion

v  Do you take the Lord’s Supper as a matter of routine?  Do you adequately realize the seriousness of this ordinance?

v  Before partaking of the Lord’s Supper, do you examine your heart for unconfessed sin?

v  Have you been partaking of the Lord’s Supper “in an unworthy manner”?

 

4)     The Body of Christ

v  Are you a committed, faithful member of a local church? 

v  When is the last time you asked another believer to pray for you regarding a specific sin or temptation in your life? 

v  To whom are you spiritually accountable in matters of personal and moral purity? 

v  Are you consistently receiving exhortation from other believers regarding your spiritual life? 

v  Do you know another believer who is trapped in some sinful pattern and needs to be spiritually restored? What part does God want you to play in that process?

 

5)     Church Discipline

v  Are you under the spiritual authority of a local church?

v  Does the spiritual leadership of your church know that you welcome accountability for your personal holiness? Would they feel the freedom to confront you over questionable or sinful practices in your life? 

v  Is there any practice in your life which, if your church knew, would be reason for the process of church discipline to be initiated? 

v  Is there another believer whose sin you have justified or covered, rather than being willing to confront the issue or to allow others to confront it as needed?


6)     Suffering

v  How has God used suffering as an instrument of sanctification in your life?

v  Is there any area of suffering that you are resisting rather than embracing? 

v  Is there any area where you may currently be experiencing the chastening hand of God for your sin? How have you responded to God’s discipline?

 

Summary

v  Name one or two of these six means of grace that you need to be more intentional about using in your pursuit of holiness.

The Word, Confession, and Suffering.  

v  List two or three steps you will take to allow God to use these means more fully in your life.

The Word – I will spend more intentional time in God’s Word and make it a priority in my life.   I want to get back into the habit of memorizing it and meditating on it throughout the day as well.

 Confession – Instead of blanket prayers of confession, I need to confess specific sins.  When I sin against someone else, I need to be quick to apologize to them and have this be part of my testimony and example (especially at work).

Suffering – Instead of allowing suffering to push me away from God, I need to embrace it and allow it to draw me closer to Him.  I need to cling to God and find joy during the trials… let this joy shine through me so that my life can be an example to others. 

v  Share your response with another believer who will encourage you to follow through on your commitment.

Lord, I pray that You open my eyes to who that would be. (I guess I am sharing them with all of you...)  Hold me accountable!!!)

No comments: