Living Life...

Living Life...

Sunday, August 21, 2022

All About Grandma... Both of them!

One thing that I wanted to do while my parents were in town was visit my Grandma.  I have not seen her since I visited her right before Covid shut everything down.  It is not as much fun to go alone so I wanted to be able to go with my parents. Unfortunately, I had to work the day they planned to go celebrate her birthday, so my mom and I planned our own trip the week before.

In these last couple years, my grandma has declined quite a bit.  She used to talk a lot.  Her stories would be about the past when she was a child or first married (or even made-up stories about my grandpa working in another country to justify why he wasn’t around).  This time, she was in quite the mood. She barely uttered a few words and just looked at us as if she was trying to figure out who we were.

I can not imagine how hard it would be to be lost in your own mind.  Having people call you “mom” and “Grandma” and not know who they are.  Having people want to talk to you and asking you questions and not recognize them.  I am very thankful that I was able to go with my mom and not have to experience it alone.  I don’t know how much longer my grandma will be around so every time I see her, I treat as if it may be the last… so of course I made sure to take pictures.  She was not thrilled about it. 


All three of us... 

Mom and Grandma

Grandma trying to cover her face... 

Finally looking at the camera... 

This summer we also had a small memorial for dad’s mother.  She passed away years ago and we had a big memorial when she did but before she died, she had always said that she wanted to be buried under a tree in my parent’s backyard.  So, since all the relatives were invited into town for my parent’s 50th anniversary party we also planned a time to bury my grandma.  We made to let all my aunts and uncles know they were invited to the event but most of them opted out of coming so it was just a small event.

My Dad and Uncle Duffy went to pick out the tree before the weekend and my Dad dug the hole where the tree was going to buried.  We started off with a time to share our favorite stories about Grandma. Some of the stories were funny stories about things she had done and other were more serious and sweet stories (like making Jimmy and Karen matching pillowcases for Christmas when they were just first dating).  After Uncle Duffy put the ashes in, Jimmy had the honor of putting in the tree.  My Mom and Dad finished the job of adding more dirt and spreading the beauty bark.  Now it is my responsibility to make sure the tree stays alive (anyone who knows me that they chose the wrong person for the job).

Afterwards, we enjoyed leftover tacos from my parent’s anniversary party and visited for a while since it was the last time with my parents until they come back for the holidays. 



Matthew enjoying time with Ginger... 


All set for the memorial






Sharing stories... 







 
Grandma's Tree

No comments: