Living Life...

Living Life...

Wednesday, September 2, 2020

The Journey Continues…

After being released from the hospital it was another adventure for us… while he was in the hospital, they were not giving him his regular medications.  After awhile they gave him a couple of his meds but not the majority (including a medication that is used to lower blood pressure… although he wasn’t using it for that purpose originally).  The doctor was concerned since as his heart rate raised so did his blood pressure. So, they released him with a new medication to lower his blood pressure and told me to resume his regular meds. 

Needless to say, he either had a reaction to the new medication or a combination of the meds which resulted in his body going into intensive full body spasms.  I would have thought he was having a seizure if he wasn’t talking to me throughout them telling me he had no control over his muscles. I didn’t see the correlation until after the second night of giving him the meds. 

He slept all of Thursday which was normal since he didn’t sleep for the two days in the hospital.  Things got crazy on Friday night.  He took his meds and I went to sleep since I was exhausted.  He too fell asleep (eating icecream) so we woke up to it melted on the bed… he got up to get a towel from the closet and that is when the first full body spasm occurred. It threw him up into the air and he landed on his foot and kept spasming.  Within minutes his foot was swollen… We finished cleaning up the bed and I got him back into bed where his body continued to spasm.  

Foot was very swollen the first few days... 


The next day, his body would spasm, but it eased up as the day went on.  It wasn’t until after taking his evening meds that the intense spasming started again.  Within 30 minutes, I noticed a difference in the intensity of the spasms.  When he got up to go to the restroom it threw him into the bookshelf where are TV was and I did everything I could to make sure the TV didn’t fall on him until he could get control of his body again.  Once in the hallway, it threw him backwards. To say I was scared would be an understatement… but because I couldn’t stay with him in the hospital because of Covid I didn’t want to bring him back to the ER. 

Instead, I started researching the new med and all the bad reviews and I decided not to give him the new meds again.  The following night I didn’t give him the med and the intense spasming didn’t return (Praise the Lord) … but unfortunately the consequence of this experience would last longer than the meds… I was pretty sure his foot was broken.

On Monday morning we had his follow-up with my doctor.  At the appointment his blood pressure was super low… that is where we connected the dots that the hospital had put him on a medicine to lower blood pressure even though he was already on one (and they hadn’t been giving it to him).  I don’t even want to know how low it was over the weekend when he was taking both medications.  She recommended an Xray for Matthew to see if his foot was broken. 

On Monday afternoon Matthew had an appointment with the heart clinic where they decided to set him up with a 30-day heart monitor to determine if anything is going on with his heart that is causing his issues.  We scheduled an appointment for the following week once prior approval was received. 

Afterwards, he went to get his Xray.  Of course, we asked for the CD in case we went to a clinic outside Multicare… which I am so happy we did.   Once we were home, we looked at the Xray and we knew he had at least one broken bone.  By that even when we got the report back, we found out he had 3 fractured metatarsals. 


Here is a view of his x-ray... 

On Tuesday, I called Multicare Orthopedic to set up an appointment but the soonest one they had was for the following Monday.  I decided to check around since I didn’t want to wait that long.  Instead, I called Proliance where he went when he severed his Achilles Tendon and they had an appointment available the next morning.  So, today (Wednesday) he was already in a cast, so his foot was secure and ready to heal up.  


We noticed his foot was bruised

Finally wearing a cast... (Seahawks of course)

Needless to say, students start school up tomorrow (Thursday) and I am already beyond exhausted.  I am on overload between the training, setting up my online classroom, lack of sleep, and caring for Matthew.  I know God has a plan for all of this… what it is, I do not know..!

No comments: