On Tuesday afternoon I got a phone call that I left me very
anxious but I didn’t understand why at the time… it came from Multicare… and
unfortunately I missed the call so it was left on my voicemail… it was Matthew
calling me to let me know that after his regular phlebotomy appointment his
blood pressure was low so they were going to give him some fluids before he
could come home.
Matthew usually goes to his phlebotomy appointments alone. They are super quick… they draw his blood and
then he comes home. This one didn’t end
up like all the others. I stayed home waiting
for one of my student’s parents to stop by my house to pick something up while
I made his Yonanas (Frozen fruit treats).
After receiving his message, I sent him a text, knowing that if
he had his cell phone, he would have used it to call me. I didn’t know what to do so I just waited and
kept making the Yonanas. About an hour
later I got a phone call from Matthew… after they gave him fluids to get his
blood pressure up, they watched his heart rate drop from around 90 to 40. They told him that he needed to go next door
to the ER.
He didn’t want me to rush down but to wait to find out what they
said at the ER. So, with my anxiety
through the rough, I continued making him Yonanas. About an hour later, I got another phone call
from him that while they were checking him over, he had fainted so they were
keeping him for observation and that I could come down now.
I quickly cleaned everything up and headed down to the ER. That night they did multiple tests on him to
try and determine why his heart rate was so low, but everything came back
normal… except his heart rate which stayed down in the 40’s so they decided to
keep him overnight for observation. I finally
went home around 1:00am but wasn’t able to fall asleep until 2:30 but even then
it wasn’t the greatest sleep.
The next morning, Matthew called me up and told me the doctor
was going to release him after doing one more test… so I headed to the hospital
thinking he was coming home… but she came in to see him and found out that his
normal heart rate was between 90-100 she decided to keep him another night for
observation.
I ended up going back to the house to pick up some things that
he wanted to have at the hospital to make his stay more comfortable… and to be
able to eat something before spending the evening with him. Thankfully, his heart rate went up throughout
the day and by the time I left him that evening it was up around 60… but as his
heart rate raised so did his blood pressure.
On Thursday, he was finally released from the hospital. His blood pressure was back up in the 90’s…
still no explanation for why it dropped.
So, now we have follow-up appointments scheduled with the heart
clinic. He may end up wearing a heart monitor
for a month to determine if this is a regular occurrence for him and if so,
what needs to be done (or maybe it was just a one time fluke).
Regardless, as scary as it was, I praise God that he was at a doctor’s appointment where they were able to observe his heart rate dropping and now, they are looking into it. He had been telling me just the day before that he was feeling normal. It isn’t easy to get him to go into see a doctor… so God knew that this was the best way for him to get the care he needed.
Now, he is home resting and recovering from his two day stay in the hospital where he didn’t get any sleep, barely ate a thing, and drank very little. So, I need to get him healthy now that he is home.




No comments:
Post a Comment