Living Life...

Living Life...

Monday, July 30, 2018

Completed... For Now…!

I still am in a state of shock over what took place these last few weeks.  I suppose to fully grasp the story I will have to back up a bit to give you some context.  I submitted my master project on July 11th to be reviewed.   On July 13th, I received an email from my chair letting me know that I should have been submitting my paper along the way for her to review and edit.  I quickly reviewed my emails from that last few months and found a dozen in which I asked multiple times what the process was, how much I should be communicating, asking for guidance… and no response.  Two months prior I had even submitted my literature review (the main section of my paper) and never heard back… so I just kept working away on my project.  She then sent me an email with suggestions for edits on my PowerPoints and what she was hoping to see in my literature review… I started freaking out… because I knew that she was not going to find the information she was looking for in the literature review.  I started thinking that I did everything wrong… my poor husband kept encouraging me and telling me that everything was going to work out… how I survived that weekend I am not sure…

On Tuesday, I was finally able to talk to my professor about my project a little and what I needed to do to prepare for the defense.  I then spent the next couple weeks fine tuning my project and creating a PowerPoint to defend my project.  Once again… the night before my defense I was super nervous and Matthew had to help calm me down. 

Finally, the big day finally came.  We drove over to Central early so I wouldn’t have to worry about arriving late.  I came prepared with assistive technology from my classroom… materials from my curriculum that I developed… and my PowerPoint.  After getting everything up and ready to go… my nerves finally started to calm down and I was able to relax and enjoy the process. 

I spend the next couple hours talking to my committee (three professors) about my project.  I went through an in-depth discussion about the research I conducted on the history of teaching students with disabilities, laws related to transition services, transition skills, teaching students with significant disabilities, etc.  We then moved on and talked about the curriculum that I developed for my classroom.  It was a budgeting unit that hit all of the major themes of a typical budget but also had side lessons.  That way as we talked about budgeting for food, the students could learn about eating a healthy diet. 

What came next still blows my mind… my professors started talking to me about I needed to copyright my materials immediately… that they would walk me through the process… that I needed to get connected to a publisher (but make sure I keep the rights to it)… so I can speak at conferences and sell my curriculum. Also, that I needed to publish my paper in a journal.  They ranted and raved about how awesome it was… and how it was the start to a doctorate.  By this point Matthew was in the room with me… so I know it really happened and I didn’t just dream it.  While I have no idea where God is going to lead me in this adventure… it was an overwhelming and amazing experience.  

Dr Finke, Dr. Juniel, Dr. Castillo - My Committee
After telling me "I Passed" my Orals Defense

I had a few edits I needed to do to complete my paper… but I was able to finish those and submitted them today.  So… now I am officially completed with my masters degree.  I may have more edits so it is ready to be published but that can come later… for now I am celebrating the fact that I have officially graduated… I will take the next steps one at a time..!

Finishing the last few edits...

I am done..!  Time to celebrate..!


No comments: