Living Life...

Living Life...

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Poem Entries… Back to Writing Poetry from the Heart

I just recently started writing poetry again after one of my friends asked me for my most recent poems… I realized that I had not written very many since I got married.  So, in the last couple months I wrote two.  Instead of keeping them to myself... I decided to share them with everyone.  I am contemplating even starting a new blog and adding my older poems to it..!

The River
Kristin Mazdzer
2/20/16

We all have a choice to make
Will we live on the shore
Or jump into the deep waters
It all depends on what you want to live for

The choice is ours alone
But God has paved the way
Only in the river will we have eternal life
So what will you choose today?

Some people choose to live on the shore
Close enough to hear the truth
But never letting it impact their life
They follow the ways of the worldly youth

They are so lost and without hope
Seeking ways to find some peace
From a lost and dying world
Of the pain they want release

Some people venture ankle deep
Saved by grace but not growing
They are excited for a moment
But quickly it gets old and boring

They splash around getting wet
Thinking salvation alone is enough
Their faith is so very weak
And crumbles to pieces when things get tough

Some people make it knee deep
Feeling God at work every once in awhile
Quickly the return closer to the shore
For they don’t want to change their lifestyle

They don’t want to lose control
Though they’ve experienced the other side
The joy from following the ways of God
But they prefer the security the shore provides

Few people make it waist deep
Daily living in God’s presence
Willing to make some sacrifices
And choosing to turn away from sins

Yet still in control of their lives
Choosing the path their feet take
Constantly growing in their walk
But not giving up everything for God’s sake

Very few experience the deep waters
Giving up complete control
Letting God guide you wherever He wants
Not just trusting Him to save your soul

A life filled with joy and adventure
For riding the river is a wild ride
Trusting God every step of the way
Knowing He’s always by your side

Fighting the current will wear you out
Yet to the branches we hold on tight
We are so scared of the unknown
It’s so hard to trust without sight

But once you’ve experienced the deep waters
You’ll want others to do the same
Encouraging others to take another step
Constantly praising God’s Holy Name

We weren’t created to do it alone
Together we can go a little deeper
So lock arms with those around you
And jump into the river


Written after our time at Camas Meadows where Pastor Chris Larson gave a message using the analogy of the river.  This analogy was impactful in touching a lot of hearts and we discussed it quite a bit in our cabin group.  It makes me wonder where I am in the river… I know that I have experienced the deep waters… but I don’t think I am there right now.  I want to get back to trusting God completely with my whole life and enjoying the ride He will take me on. 

River view on the drive home from Camas... 




A Heart of Gratitude
Kristin Mazdzer
3/23/16

Why is it so easy to complain
And focus on my problems
When God has blessed me with so much
And to ignore that is a sin

I don’t just want to make a list
Of all my many blessings
I want to have a heart of gratitude
That impels me to always sing

Knowing God has poured upon me
Blessings beyond belief
He daily meets my every need
And from my trials give relief

I cannot deny the trials exist
Sometimes I am overwhelmed by the pain
But when I turn my focus back to God
His peace alone can keep me sane

The Spiritual blessings I cannot count
Forgiveness, grace, redemption, love
Fruits of the Spirit, all good things
Come from my Father above

He has blessed me with so many people
Who have touched my life throughout the years
Family and friends who have always been there
Sharing the joy or wiping my tears

How often do I take the time
To thank the people who are in my life
Open my eyes so I can see
How gratitude can make me a better wife

May I be grateful for the big and small
Focused on the blessings I’ve received
So my example to others will be a light
That helps someone know God and in Him believe

Continue to give me a heart of gratitude
Not just making a list but a change of heart
Where I can focus on my many blessings
For I know this path is just the start

Lord, may you be glorified in my life
May I shout my praise to you aloud
Humble me and help me see
How to declare you glory to the crowd.



I wrote this poem as part of doing the study Choosing Gratitude by Nancey Leigh DeMoss.  My eyes were opened to how often I focused on my trials instead of choosing to be grateful for the many blessings God pours out on my every day.  I know that I still have a long ways to go to have a heart of gratitude but that is where I would like to be.  

No comments: