Living Life...

Living Life...

Friday, January 2, 2015

Choosing Forgiveness – Afterward – The Power of Forgiveness

I just finished reading a book called “Choosing Forgiveness-Your Journey to Freedom” by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.  I wish I could say that I have completely forgiven and am healed but I am still a work in progress.   Here are a few more quotes that have impacted me as I read. 

I have found myself in an intense battle—my emotions and my flesh desperately wanting to harbor the hurt, nurse the wounds, and “punish” those who inflicted them, while the Spirit within me keeps gently insisting, “Let it go! Forgive… forbear… press the delete button!”

** This is the same battle I find myself in… sometimes I waver back and forth a dozen times within the day.  My heart wants to protect itself… to hide from any future pain… but my Spirit is telling me to let it go and reach out in love. 

Indeed, unforgiveness can have a powerful hold on us, strong enough to push people away and keep them out there at a distance for years on end.  We all know how strong its tug and pull can be.  But the power of unforgiveness is power wasted, energy expended with little to show for all we've invested in it.

*** When I think about how short our time here on earth is I don’t want to waste any of that time or energy on holding a grudge of unforgiveness.  I don’t want to be known as that kind of person. 

Forgiveness is a mighty tool in the hand of an all-powerful God to bring healing all around, to every conceivable type of situation and relationship—past or present.  In fact, forgiveness can have a long-lasting impact on future situations and relationships. 

*** Healing is something I definitely need… but not just me… so many others in my life need healing.  I know that I can’t bring it about on my own… it is a type of healing that can only come through God.  Lord, heal us..!

The ultimate goal of forgiveness, just as the ultimate goal of our whole lives should be, is to bring glory and honor to God..!  Forgiveness in a believer showcases the astounding, redemptive heart of God.  Forgiveness is not so much about us as it is about Him.  Every opportunity you encounter to practice forgiveness is an opportunity to draw attention to the God who so delights to show mercy and to pardon sinners that He gave His only Son to make it possible.  


***I have learned that forgiveness is not about the other person…. It is more about releasing ourselves from a prison of bitterness… but I've never heard the concept that forgiveness is less about me than it is about God… about bringing honor to Him and proclaiming His love and forgiveness to others.  

No comments: