Living Life...

Living Life...

Saturday, June 22, 2013

June – A theme for the Summer… loving well..!

Have you ever had God speak to you the same message from various different locations..?  It makes you stop and think, “Maybe God is trying to tell me something here?”  Well that has happened to me lately and it fits right into my theme for the year of resting and trusting in God. 

You may be wondering what this message is… well let me tell you.  It is on loving others well.  The topic first came up a couple weeks ago when I was browsing through some books at a friend’s house. I noticed a book that grabbed my attention called, “Love One Another; How to let God’s Heart Shine through your Life” by Gloria Chisolm.  It was a study that challenged you to love others in different ways for 21 days so that it came become a habit in your life.  I decided to order the book and do it this summer.  Today was my first day reading the book and I know that it will be challenging but good.  



Next, I was invited to a Women’s Retreat here at a local church that took place two weeks ago.  All I knew was that it was going to be a Beth Moore video study and that it was with women in the area.  I decided to go to this study and meet some women from the area.  Upon arrival I found out the study was called “Loving Well”.  Although it is one I have done in the past (at least part of it) it was just what I needed for this time in my life.  It talked about loving 4 different types of people.  1) Those who are a joy to love. 2) The testy people in our life who may be difficult to love.  3) The foes in our life who are impossible to love. 4) Those who are strangers and yet God still calls us to love them.  I think one of the most important messages from this weekend that I was reminded of is that in order to love others well, I first need to be loved well by God.  This is how the theme fits in with my theme for the year.  I don’t want to just rest in the Lord, I want to experience His love so that I can love others well.  We were given a four week journal to do after the weekend so we could continue to meditate on this topic of loving well.

About the same time I started reading a book in my kindle called, “People can’t Drive you Crazy if you don’t give them the Keys” by Mike Bechtle.  This book spoke in particular to how we can’t change other people but how we can choose to change our own attitude and love the crazy people in our life.  It is a more in-depth study on the “testy” people in our lives who may not be easy to love.  In the past I didn't have many people in my life that I would consider to be “testy”.  In fact, I hate conflict and get along with most people but throughout the years there have been a few people that have not always been easy to love for one reason or another.  I don’t want these people to control my life and emotions but I desire to learn how to love them well so that God’s love can be reflected through me… but I got to say this is NOT EASY and is taking lots of time and prayer along the way. 

 One might think that three times was enough for me to get the hint, right?  But God wanted to make SURE that I got it because my church is starting a new series this summer on “Loving one another”.  The church as faced many times of transition and turmoil throughout the years.  No church you find will ever be perfect since they are all filled with SINNERS like me… but we can learn to love one another regardless of our differences.  I am committed to praying for our church and being an example of love. 

I am excited to see how God is going to use these various studies throughout the summer to help me to mature in my love for others.  Of course, my first course of action is to learn to love my family better.  I want to love my husband and son well.  Next, I believe he is calling me to love the youth well since they are the ministry he has placed before me.  Finally, I know he will bring others into my path that I need to love well.  But I have to remember that in order to love others well, I need to rest in Him and allow Him to love me well.  I hope that when the summer is over I won’t just have more head knowledge but that I will be actively loving others well.  I invite you to come with me on this journey as I share various quotes that may impact me along the way.  

No comments: