I have been very
challenged lately about putting into practice what I am learning about loving
others from my various studies this morning.
I don’t want to just learn something new or be reminded about what I
need to do and not do anything about it.
I want my life to be transformed.
I want to be able to look back at the end of the summer and see changes
in my life in how I love others.
One of the studies asks us
to commit to do various things to put it into practice and I am trying to
fulfill those commitments. Last Friday,
the “to do” request was to choose one person that I can love creatively today
and do it. I decided that I wanted to
show Shane how much he is loved and take him out to dinner… where he could have
whatever he wanted and I wouldn't stress over the money (Helps that I had a
gift card… since money is one area that I do stress about too often…) We went
to Kidd Valley down by Gene Coulon for burgers, onion rings, fried mushrooms
and topped it off with a Butterfinger shake (well… at least I let him finish
off my shake since he chose a coke and then realized how good the shakes were
after the fact).
After dinner we were able
to walk along the water and just talk for awhile. We both had a lot of fun and he kept asking
what the special occasion was that just the two of us were going out to
eat. It was nice to see him relax and just to be able to enjoy him for awhile. The next day I surprised him by inviting one
of his friends to come stay the night after the youth movie night at
church. They had fun laughing at America's Funniest Home videos and playing Wii games.
I look forward to more
ways that I can creatively love Shane in the future… and others that God places
on my heart to love. I know that I have
a far way to go to love others well but we are all in process and the goal for
me is to just love better today than I was before.
Shane enjoying his double bacon burger...
I just got a regular bacon burger..and it was good..!
Walking on the Pier...
Man is he growing up...
I pray he knows how much he is loved...
No comments:
Post a Comment