In November and December, we got to spend time with Mason and Lily
various times. I love these kiddos and
always enjoy hanging out with them and being a part of their lives.
For months, Lily asked if Matthew would be able to go to the Veteran’s
Day assembly at her school… so I made sure that it was in the calendar so he
could attend. He really wanted to be there for her in this way. Mason also wrote a very cool Veteran’s Day
message that was very touching and brought tears to my eyes.
Later on in November, we had the chance to have them over for the night
unexpectedly so Chris and Sarah could go on a date to a concert. It was a trial run for them spending the
weekend with us in December and they were great.
I started off my Christmas break picking them up for an extended weekend. Chris and Sarah were able to escape for a much-needed
anniversary trip. While I didn’t have a
lot planned for our time together, I did plan a few small surprises for the kids
throughout the weekend. I didn’t want them to spend the entire time using electronics,
so I made sure they had other activities to do throughout the weekend, such as
drawing/coloring and playing games… which became their Christmas present. Mason also spent a lot of time hanging out
outside in the yard doing “manly” things such as raking leaves. I also made
sure to have creative meals that they would enjoy throughout the weekend. It helped that we received a free box of food
on our doorstep from a meal company (it was supposed to go to another house,
but they delivered it to the wrong house and told us to keep it). They were excited when it snowed, and they ended
up with a day off of school. Each day they would get to spend a little time
paying the Wii while I cooked dinner and then watch a movie before bed. We spent a lot of time playing games together,
having 1:1 time visiting where they could share what was on their mind, watching
Argentina win the World Cup, and just being together. We had a great weekend
together… but I’m sure they missed their parents just a little.




















No comments:
Post a Comment