Living Life...

Living Life...

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Choosing Gratitude – Chapter 9 – Going Gratitudinal

I am reading a book called “Choosing Gratitude – Your Journey to Joy”.  It is by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, the same author that wrote “Choosing Forgiveness” the study I did last year.  I am excited to see what God is going to teach me through this study… as I move on from just forgiving to learning to be grateful.  Like I did with “Choosing Forgiveness” I am going to share some of my favorite quotes (in red) and what God is teaching me through them. 



It’s all in how you look at it.  It’s a matter of attitude.  “Attitudinal change”… It’s a fancy way to say that new behaviors start with a new mind-set.  The pathways to personal transformation require a change in perspective. 

So often I need this change of perspective… I need to slow down, step back and see the situation through God’s eyes so that in turn my attitude can change.  With the change of attitude God can then be at work in me and give me a heart of gratitude.
 
I don’t want you to bed destroyed by inevitable downturns of life- with no answer for the darts of unfair, unpleasant circumstances- a walking bull’s-eye, just waiting for the next arrow to be shot in your direction.  I want you to find the God-given reserve to stand strong in the midst of confusing, condemning onslaughts of opposition.  I want your head up, lifted by the empowering Spirit of God within you, even when everything else within you is calling you for a week in bed with the lights out and the blinds drawn.

I want you to be so available to the Spirit’s leading, so aware of others’ needs, and so willing to be open and genuine, that God takes the things of Satan meant for evil and transforms them into things of value. 

No matter who you are, where you’ve been, or what’s happened to you along the way, you can be changed into a person who’s known and marked by gratitude.  God can do it in you.  Are you ready?

I too want to be the type of person that is ready and available for God to make the changes in me… to not allow the circumstances to beat me down but instead remain focused on where the Spirit is leading me and those around me that I can serve.  I want to be known for gratitude.  Lord, be at work in me even today… change my perspective on things and help me to be reminded of the many blessings I have so that I can glorify you no matter what the circumstances.

I’m here to tell you that expressing true gratitude involves choices as practical as setting your clocks correctly, changing your vacuum bag, or locking your doors at night.  It is a regular maintenance plan, something that only happens when you do it on purpose, yet it’s sure to save you all kinds of trouble down the line.  It’s hard work.  But it works. And we grow more like Christ every time we practice it.

I have to choose whether or not I am willing to put in the work.  Am I willing to purposely take the time each day to be grateful?  I know that making changes isn’t easy but the outcome will definitely be worth it…

I would like to make several specific recommendations that can get us headed in the right direction and hopefully never turn back.

1) Surrender your rights to God – What a difference it would make if we started each morning not only worshiping the Lord and meeting Him in prayer and His Word, but establishing from the very beginning of the day that He has full rights to our lives. 
I want to start doing this on a daily basis… even though I know I will probably fail on occasion I would rather do it as much as I can instead of never trying because I don’t want to fail.  Lord, I give you today.  I know that I like to be in control of things… but that isn’t my place or my right.  When I asked you into my life… and asked you to be Lord of my life I was giving my life to you.  Help me to remember that throughout the day.  Take control of things and help me to follow you down the path you have for me.  Thank you for loving me and having a perfect plan for my life… even when I don’t understand. 

2) Commit to a set season of gratitude – Like any other virtue, a grateful spirit is the work of God’s Spirit within the life of a believer who is purposeful about putting off fleshly inclinations and cultivating spiritual ones.  And that takes time, effort, and focused attention  If you want to see lasting change- transformation- in this matter of gratitude, I want to encourage you to set aside a concentrated period of time to focus on that process.
I do want to be transformed in this area so I am committing to do the 30 days of gratitude challenge at the end of this book.  It is my desire that after the 30 days it becomes a natural part of my life. 

3) Take stock of your gratitude accounts – Who deserves (or needs) a word of thanks from you?  Who in your life could use a bit of encouragement today?  Keep track of your balance.  Double-check for any unrecorded entries.  And set aside ample time to monitor the books.  Make sure everything’s paid up.
I guarantee that I am not up to date on my “thank yous” throughout the years. I am sure there are many people who not only deserve a thank you, or a word of encouragement, but may need one today.  Lord, open my eyes to those around me that I can appreciate and those from my past I may need to seek out and encourage.  I don’t know why it is so hard to take the time to do so… but I can imagine the blessing that it could be in the life of others and my own for that matter.

4) Write thank-you notes –So simple… and yet so transformational.  Thank-you notes are a tangible way to communicate what is (or should be) in our hearts.  Ways to express appreciation for the benefits we have received from others- gifts, acts of service, godly example and counsel, prayers, encouragement, etc. Don’t get hung up on the “technique.” Do resolve to have a thankful heart and to take the time to express your gratitude as frequently as possible.  When I think of how often God has used notes of gratitude from others to encourage and strengthen my heart, it makes me wonder who else may have needed a word of encouragement that I failed to send in response to the prompting of God’s Spirit. 
I think this type of thank you notes is so much more meaningful and valuable than the ones that seem obligatory after a wedding.  I wish that I would have read this chapter before writing all those thank-you notes and had taken the time to thank them not just for the gift but for the impact they made on my life throughout the years.  I too wonder how many people I failed to encourage because I didn’t take the time to thank them.  Lord, open my eyes to others and help me to be more grateful for them

5) Do it together, as a Body-building exercise – If your family, group, or church were to develop a corporate sense of gratitude, how many petty squabbles would disappear?  How many people, who have been at odds with each other, would find a reason to put an end to their selfishness and strife?  How many ministries would be revived into true usefulness, simply by being populated with grace-filled men and women growing ever more grateful for the privilege of serving Him-together?
What an amazing environment our church would be if we were known for being a grateful people… it would be a true light into a dark world.  I know that it needs to start with me… I can’t encourage and influence others to be grateful if I am not doing the same myself. I have seen progress these last few weeks… but I know I have a long ways to go still.

Tell Him you’re going to offer up to Him every situation and circumstance in your life, even the ones that are still sensitive to the touch, the ones that make absolutely no sense, the ones you just really don’t understand why you’re having to put up with right now.  No matter how bad it gets, no matter what someone says to you, no matter how long it goes on or where it might lead, you will drop the full weight of it at His feet every night, be thankful for His strength that brought you through the day, and wait for His mercies that will be new in the morning. 

I can think of two situations that fit into this scenario.  The first one is the situation with Shane.  It doesn’t matter how much time passes, it is still hard.  I think about him and miss him every day.  We don’t understand why things turned out the way they did… but I do want to trust God and His bigger plan for things.  O’ Lord… I lift up Shane to you and pray that you do your healing work in him.  Bring people into his life that will draw him back into your presence.  I know you started a good work in his life… please finish it. 
The other situation is Matthew’s health issues and ensuing battle with L&I and Social Security.  It is hard to be thankful… it is hard to be patient.  But at the same time I know that God is good and that He has a perfect plan so I want to patiently wait upon Him.  Lord, be our strength and encouragement through all of this. 

Arguably the most affluent, materially blessed people in the history of the world, we have become angry, bitter, proud and ungrateful.  We have gotten this false sense of entitlement and the entirely unbiblical idea that God owes us ease and luxury or at least the chance to go for weeks without having to deal with this one particular matter that is so difficult or discouraging.

I have seen this attitude of entitlement displayed in others so much that I never thought about the fact that I too have an attitude of entitlement.  Lord, forgive me.  Who am I to think that I shouldn’t have to suffer here on this earth?  Who am I to think that I should have an easier life than Christ did?  Forgive me Lord and help me to be grateful for all the many blessings you have poured down onto me… blessings that I didn’t deserve.

Some of the holy work we need to have done in us and through us can only come through the valley of shadow and suffering.  Are you going to be resistant to that? Or are you going to be clay in His hands, knowing that He is intent on shaping you into the image of Christ and wants to use your life for something far bigger than your own comfort, convenience, and pleasure?


Lord, mold me like clay.  Anytime that my ego gets in the way or I start thinking that my life circumstances are unfair please remind me that You are doing a work in me to mold me into the image of Christ.  Help me to be willing to go through anything for your sake… I know it won’t always be easy or comfortable but I do desire to be more like Christ… changed from the inside out.  

No comments: