Living Life...

Living Life...

Friday, November 13, 2015

Choosing Gratitude – Chapter 6 – How can I say thanks?

I am reading a book called “Choosing Gratitude – Your Journey to Joy”.  It is by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, the same author that wrote “Choosing Forgiveness” the study I did last year.  I am excited to see what God is going to teach me through this study… as I move on from just forgiving to learning to be grateful.  Like I did with “Choosing Forgiveness” I am going to share some of my favorite quotes (in red) and what God is teaching me through them.  



Gratitude is more than checking a list or completing a transaction.  God’s desire is not just to see us doing grateful things but to see us doing grateful things out of the overflow of a truly grateful heart.  If our thankfulness never becomes more than fulfilling the minimal obligation, if we never outgrow the rote mindlessness of fill-in-the-blank thanks, we stop short of experiencing that grace-filled lifestyle of genuine, heartfelt gratitude.

Lord, how often is my thanks just that… rote thanksgiving.  I too desire it to be from the overflow of a grateful heart.  I don’t want my outer actions to change without any heart change.  Open my eyes to the many blessings you provide each day and help me to overflow with gratefulness. 

Occasions for gratitude are all around us.  If we recognize them at all, our general reactions is to let the thought we hear in our minds suffice for gratitude.  But the Bible stays, “Let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name” (Hebrews 13:5).  Gratitude is not the quiet game.  It begs to be expressed both to God and to others.  Silent gratitude isn’t much use to anyone. 

First, my eyes need to be opened to the occasions for gratitude that are all around me… but then I need to take the next step of verbalizing my gratitude to others and to God.  What good is a grateful heart if I don’t actually tell others what I am thankful for? 

When you’re captivated by a glorious sunset or comforted in sorrow, or uplifted by some sweet reminder of the hope God gives in the midst of life’s many problems and challenges, make your praise ring not only in your head but on your tongue. 

Not only do I need to learn how to give thanks to others… I need to learn how to praise God for His blessings.  What a testimony it is to others when I can learn to declare his praises even in the midst of the many problems and challenges. 

Why is that so important?  Does it really matter if we actually verbalize our thanks, as long as it’s in our heart?  Spoken words of praise and thanks have power to dissipate that spirit of heaviness that sometimes weighs us down and clings to use like a wet blanket.  And they have power to do the same for others.  Further, I believe that spoken worship and thanks-giving can be instrumental in overcoming the lies and schemes of the Enemy. 

It is amazing how being thankful can lift up the burden that so often weighs us down.  Even during these short few weeks I can see a difference in my own life.  Lord, help me to continue to verbalize my thanks…

Music is a powerful vehicle of our gratitude, a lifter of our heads.  It doesn’t have to sound good to be good.  My heart is refreshed just by singing to Him.  So if you feel yourself slowly losing your appreciation for God and His goodness, try saying it with music.

I absolutely love worship music… I love listening to it during my morning quiet time.  I love listening to it while I walk, while I drive, while I clean… anytime really.  I love worshiping God with music and it is amazing how much it can lift my spirits. 

None but those who have experienced such a sudden loss can truly begin to understand the depth of grief that must swell over you, the blur of thoughts, regrets, and reactions that press hard on every artery.  There’s nothing wrong with being totally honest with God, coming before Him with our hearts and pains and intercessions, imploring Him to help and heal.  But prayer is more than asking.  It is a vehicle of worship and gratitude.

Although, I don’t know the pain of the physical death of a child I do know the pain of sudden loss.  I went through the whole grieving process after Shane moved out… it was an excruciating year.  I broke down before God many of times… but I also took comfort in Him and thanked Him for the work that He was going to do in our lives and the life of Shane.  Pain can draw us closer to God and bind our heart with His or it can draw us away from God.  I chose to draw close to Him and am so thankful for the work that He continues to do in me.
 
Think about the overall makeup of your prayers.  Are they of balance in favor of asking and seeking?  Are they top-heavy with complaints about your current condition or circumstances?  Or-even in those times when you feel a desperate need for God’s actions and intervention- do your prayers include expressions of gratitude?  We must not forget His benefits while dealing with our problems.

I would have to be honest and say that my prayers are out of balance… I spend more time complaining about my situation and seeking help from God than I do just giving thanks to God for His many blessings that He provides each day.  Lord, help my eyes to be open to your blessings and help me to praise you during my prayer time. 

For gratitude to become a true joy-maker in our hearts, it must be expressed everywhere, at every opportunity, both privately before God and publicly before others.  How grateful are you to God when no one else is looking?  How quick are you to give thanks to God when everyone is looking?  How much space does gratitude take up in your everyday interactions with others?  We are often quick to share our concerns with others, but all too reticent to share our expressions of gratitude. 

I definitely do not offer thanks enough… neither publicly or private… neither when others are watching nor when no one is looking.  Gratitude does not take up enough space in my interactions with others. I do fall into being quick to share my concerns…. And slow to express gratitude.  Recognizing that in me is one of the reasons I decided to do this study.  I want to be more grateful in my interactions with others as well as with God the giver of all good things. 

There are moments and markers in our own lives when gratitude is especially called for.  Life is full of occasions that can be transformed from mere parties and pleasantries into deliberate moments of united gratitude.  But it shouldn’t take a special occasion for gratitude to spring up from deep within, as though it needs a grand stage on which to make its appearance.  The scripture calls us to all-day, everyday gratitude.


There have been times in my life in which I have lived with a more grateful heart… focused on the blessings.  Gratitude would spring up from within often… I want to get back to that stage of life… and have a heart that is thankful for the little and the big things.  

No comments: