I am reading a book called “Choosing Gratitude – Your Journey to
Joy”. It is by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, the
same author that wrote “Choosing Forgiveness” the study I did last year. I am excited to see what God is going to
teach me through this study… as I move on from just forgiving to learning to be
grateful. Like I did with “Choosing
Forgiveness” I am going to share some of my favorite quotes (in red) and what
God is teaching me through them.
You
can hardly be both. Maybe in spots,
maybe in seasons. But throughout the
balance of your life, one or the other will dominate the way you view and
respond to most everything. You will
choose to either be thankful or unthankful, to recognize a blessing or to
overlook it, to acknowledge a kindness or to mindlessly ignore it. You decide.
Lord, help me to choose to see the blessings in life, to
acknowledge the kindness of others and to be thankful for all things. It is so easy to overlook the blessings and
good in others… especially when I am focused on the trials but I don’t want to
be the way that I am any longer.
As
I have already said- but can’t help repeating- we pay an incalculable price for
our ingratitude. After decades of
ministry to hurting people, I have come to believe that a failure to give
thanks is at the heart of much, if not most, of the sense of gloom, despair,
and despondency that is so pervasive even among believers today. I believe many of the sins that are plaguing
and devastating our society can be traced back to that persistent root of
unthankfulness that often goes undetected.
How much of my pain is a result of not being thankful? How often have I allowed sins to plague my
life because of a root of unthankfulness?
Lord, you alone can pull out the roots of sin in my life and give me a
fresh start. Help me to start over with
eyes that are quick to see your blessings and a heart that is full of
thankfulness.
Six
differences between grateful people and ungrateful people.
1)
Better than I deserve – A grateful person is a humble person, while ingratitude
reveals a proud heart – A proud man is seldom a grateful man, for he never
thinks he gets as much as he deserves.
Pride is the father of ingratitude and the silent killer of gratitude.
Making
it personal: Do you more often manifest a humble, grateful spirit, or a proud,
self-sufficient, ungrateful heart?
Wow, I wish I could say I leaned more towards having a humble
grateful spirit… but if I was to be honest I often allow pride and
self-sufficiency to rule over me. Lord,
help me to lay down my pride at your cross.
Help me to realize all that I have is from you and that you provide not
only everything I need but so much more.
2)
I only have eyes for you – A grateful heart is God-centered and
others-conscious, while an ungrateful person is self-centered and
self-conscious – Grateful people are loving people who seek to bless others,
while ungrateful people are bent on gratifying themselves. They tend to focus on “my needs,” “my hurts,”
“my feelings,” “my desires,” “how I have been treated, neglected, failed and
wounded.” An unthankful person is full
of himself, seldom pausing to consider the needs and feelings of others.
Making
it personal: Do you tend to be more focused on your own needs and feelings or
on blessing and serving God and meeting the needs of others?
While I am pretty good at observing others and understanding how
they are feeling I still think I lean more towards my own feelings and
desires. I know that in regards to the
trials we faced awhile back I was completely self-focused. I could only see the pain that I was
experiencing. Though at the same time I
know that I am not perfect and I am sure I caused pain on others too. While I don’t totally neglect the needs and
feelings of others I spend more time self-focused.
3)
I’m full thank you – A grateful heart is a full heart, while an unthankful
heart is an empty one – The difference between being full and empty is not
usually between being rich or poor, at home or away, cupboards bursting at the
seams or thinly lined with soup cans and Ramen noodles. The difference is gratitude. Ungrateful people are much like a container
that has a hole in it, leaking out every blessing that’s been poured in, always
needing something else, something new to consume for satisfaction fuel.
Making
it personal: Are you more prone to focus on what you wish you had (or didn’t
have) or on the blessings you do have that are far greater than you
deserve? Do you have a full heart, or
does your heart “leak out” the blessings God pours in, always needing something
more to be satisfied?
I would have to say I am more focused on what I wish I had or
didn’t have than the blessings I do have that are greater than I deserve. More than anything I wish we didn’t have all
the trials and constant battling… and I wish we had our own house. But at the same time… I don’t need a lot of “things”…
I am pretty content having older things.
Other than a house there isn’t a lot that I want in regards to
possessions. So, I don’t really need
more things to be satisfied but I probably think that I need less battle and
health issues. Lord, help me to focus on
the many blessings that you do pour out upon us… and not worry about the things
that I can’t control.
4)
Fine with me – People with grateful hearts are easily contented, while
ungrateful people are subject to bitterness and discontent – I have spoken with
many women who are chronically unhappy, “down,” or depressed. The details vary, of course. But I have become increasingly convinced,
after lots of these kinds of conversations, that one of the chief reasons
behind a pervasive sense of blues and blahness is a failure to be
thankful. Ungrateful people tend to hold
tightly to their rights. And when others
fail to perform the way they want or expect them to, they feel justified in
making demands and retaliating emotionally.
Making
it personal: As a rule, are you easily contented with what God provides, or do
you find yourself resenting difficult circumstances or people and becoming
demanding or depressed when others fail to meet your expectations?
I don’t think I am one that is constantly depressed… while I do
get frustrated with the difficult circumstances we are facing I am also the one
that has hope in the future and knows that these trials are temporary. It is only when I get focused on the
difficulties and consumed by them that I become more resentful. This is an area that I think God has worked
on my life in the past and has helped me to grow in so that I can be more
thankful and less bitter.
5)
A sure cure for complaining – A grateful heart will be revealed and expressed
by thankful words, while an unthankful heart will manifest itself in murmuring and
complaining – Hear what people are saying when they talk about the everyday
events of their lives, and you’ll see in an instant the difference between
gratitude and ingratitude.
Making
it personal: Do you spend more time counting and recounting your blessings or
your problems?
This is a hard one to answer… when people ask for updates on
what is going on with Matthew’s health, L&I and Social Security I am in a
sense talking about all of our problems because it is constantly one battle
after another. But I don’t spend all day
focused on this topic. In fact, I would
rather talk about the good things in life… a job that I love, working with the
youth, traveling, etc. I know that a
couple years ago I was extremely focused on the trials… they were overwhelming
but that is not my normal personality. Lord,
help me to be more verbal about my joy that is found in you and how thankful I
am for all that you do for me… so much more than I deserve.
6)
I’ll take some of what she’s having – Thankful people are refreshing,
life-giving springs, while unthankful people pull others down with them into
stagnant pools of their selfish, demanding, unhappy ways – I’ve acknowledged my
natural “bent” is to react to people and life’s circumstances in a negative
way. When asked how I’m doing, the first
thing that pops into my head is often a burden I’m carrying, a hurt I’m
harboring, or a deadline I’m working under.
We all know what it’s like to be around people who consistently view
life through a negative lens… but before I begin to pour my problems into
anyone else’s lap, I want to share first how good God is and how blessed I am
to be called one of His children.
Ingratitude is toxic. It poisons
the atmosphere in our homes and workplaces.
It contaminates hearts and relationships. Gratitude is equally as contagious as its
evil twin. If you’re sick and tired of
living in a home where all joy and beauty has been sucked out through negative,
unappreciative words and attitudes, you can make a change.
Making
it personal: What impact does your spirit have on those around you? Are they refreshed and encouraged by your
thankful spirit? Or are they weighed
down by your negative, ungrateful words and attitude?
Lord, often the first thing that pops into my head is the
negative side, the trials, the burdens… I don’t want to be the person who is
known for always being negative. I want
others to see thankfulness shine through me and be encouraged my thankful spirit
even in the midst of the trials we are enduring. It is only through Your Spirit that I can
make this change. Please be at work in
me.
No comments:
Post a Comment