Living Life...

Living Life...

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Glacier National Park… Amazing Beauty..!

When Matthew asked me what I wanted to do when we returned to Montana, Glacier National Park was at the top of my list.  Of course I researched it online but I also asked the locals what was one thing we had to do there… unanimously we were told to take the Going-to-the-Sun Road.  Our original plan was to go on Tuesday but after being in the hospital half the night for Matthew’s kidney stones we decided to sleep on Tuesday and go to the park on Thursday. 

All I have to say is that it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL… I would love to go back one day and explore it a little more but this time around we did the trip in a day. 
After entering the park the beginning of the drive took you alongside Lake McDonald.  We had glimpses of the lake for quite some time and were able to enjoy the beauty even more so at the lodge.  The only thing we didn’t like about the lodge was how crowded it was.  


McDonald Lake Lodge... 

Enjoying the lake day with Matthew...  


We continued on our trip and I was amazed at the beauty all around.  Thankfully, Matthew is very patient with me and stopped frequently so I could take pictures… otherwise I would have missed some spectacular views like the waterfall on the side of the road.  It was so hard for me to limit the amount of pictures I used on this blog since I loved so many of them… I did upload them on Facebook if you want to take a peak.

Waterfall on the way... 

I crossed the bridge while Matthew waited for me... 

Beauty of the river... 

Avalanche Chutes.. 



Heavens Peak... 

McDonald Creek Valley


The first half of the trip was sunny and beautiful but about halfway down the road it turned into a thunder and lightning storm.  We didn’t let the storm dampen our spirits but enjoyed the beauty that it created.  I think it was the first time I saw hail falling sideways onto the car.  I love thunderstorms so it reminded me of the power of God.  We slowly made it to the end of the trail at St Mary.  We waited there awhile letting the storm pass and then headed back.

Staying dry as we enjoy the waterfall... 

Hailing as we go into a tunnel 


God was good and allowed us to enjoy the first half of the way back without a storm so I was able to get all the pictures that the rain prevented me from getting on the way.  I loved how the clouds intermingled with the mountains to create a beauty of its own.  The second half of the trip was stormy weather which was fine with me.  I don’t know if the day could have been any more perfect (except for maybe the hikers that were caught in the storm… soaking wet on the side of the road).

St Mary Lake... after the storm... 

The Prairie's Edge... 









Yes, I was a bit nervous on the road... 


The drive back to Ronan was just as beautiful as we drove along rivers, fields, past mountains, with beautiful clouds, and of course another favorite alongside Flathead Lake. It was a long day but I loved every minute of it… I love the beauty of God’s creation.  I love spending the day with my husband just talking.  I love traveling… I definitely love summer vacation which allows it to happen.  

Flathead River... 

Sun shining through the clouds... 

Flathead Lake... love the colors


Sadly, half of the road is currently closed due to a rampant wildfire.  I am so glad that we went when we did.  My co-worker also was able to do the road the day before the fire started. As I was thinking about the fire I was reminded by a friend that the fire paves the way for new life to raise from the ashes.  It was a great reminder that God can make things beautiful even from the ashes.  The trials and tribulations that we may be experienced are just a setback… in the coming years we will see new life raise up.  He is still in control of all things and will use it all for our good.  I am excited to see what He has planned for our lives.  

Picture of the fire stolen from my co-worker...

No comments: