The day before Matthew’s surgery my teacher called me
about a job offer. Originally we were
going to meet the following Monday with the others to discuss the job but it
was postponed until after Thanksgiving break which I am glad about since it
gave me more time at home to be with Matthew while he recovered.
On December with we met up at Kent Meridian with her
former teacher, teachers from Top, vice principal, my teacher, and the head of
special education… as well as the student and her father. I was a little overwhelmed and could only
imagine how she was feeling. At the end
of the meeting it was determined that I would start the following Tuesday and
we would be working at the district office.
I was a bit anxious as I didn’t really know the student,
wasn’t too sure what they were wanting me to accomplish with her, other than
vocational training, didn’t have her IEP, and had heard some concerns about her
behavior when she was agitated. I went
in on Monday to find out which desk she would be given and meet some of the staff
we would be working with.
I have completed two weeks working with her and I
absolutely love it. She is a high
functioning autistic student who is a very hard worker. We have had minimal behavior concerns and so
far talking to her calmly has worked to de-escalate her. She is picking up some of the office jobs
very quickly and is willing to do anything I ask of her. So far we only meet up three days a week for
an 1 ½ hours a day. I am not sure how
long I will have this position and what the future holds but for now I am
enjoying getting to know her, teaching her vocational skills, and earning a
little extra money.
No comments:
Post a Comment