Believing
God by Beth Moore
“I never want to grow distant from the God I love or
become dull of spiritual hearing.
Furthermore, I want God to know that He can trust me with a few days,
weeks, or months of relative ease every now and then.”
-
We have had so
many days, weeks, and months of trials that I would LOVE for Him to be able to
trust me with a few days of ease… but more important than an easy life is the
fact that I do want to know the love of God in a personal and intimate
way. I want to lean upon Him and feel
His peace even through the storms of life.
“Words hurt. Words influence. Words echo in the
canyons of our memories and reflect in the mirrors of our minds.”
-
I know that my
words can either be used to build someone up or tear them down… I recognize the
impact they have had on my own life throughout the years… the phrases that are
repeated in my mind… especially during the times I am struggling the most. I also know that God can heal us from the
pain of these hurtful words if we allow Him too. My desire is to use my words to encourage
others, especially my family… but in the times I fail I want my loving God to
heal them from the pain that my words may have caused.
“I can’t imagine anything more terrifying than believing
I could be forgotten by God…”
-
I guess the only
thing more terrifying would be to never know the love of God. I am so grateful that not only does He love
me but He knows where I am at each moment of my life… He will never leave me or
forsake me. I wish everyone could know this
kind of love.
“You have not arrived accidentally in your present place
on the map of your Holy Land. You have
had an amazing ride with God, whether or not you realize it… By believing God
was there all along – wooing us, planning for us, loving us, and contenting
with those who contended with us – we are getting to infuse our pasts with
present-active-participle faith.. when we allow God to change the way we see
our pasts, the power of our pasts changes dramatically.”
-
Wow… I love
looking back on my past and seeing the work of God throughout the years…
especially in the times that were the darkest.
God has directed my every step and He has me where I am right now for a
reason… I may not understand the reason but I can trust in the God who is
guiding me.
Love
One Another by Gloria Chisolm
“Love doesn't always look like love… We are all
responsible for ourselves and how we allow God to love through us.”
-
Often times we
try to compare ourselves to others… am I loving and serving like so and so… are
my kids as obedient and respectful as so and so… do they feel loved by
me..? But the truth is, at times as
parents we may have to make choices that our children don’t think are very
loving… or maybe our friends don’t think are very loving. All we can do is hold ourselves accountable
to God and what He is asking of us and seek Him for guidance through these times. I desire God’s wisdom in loving others even
if the decisions I make don’t always look loving towards others.
“How can I order my day around conscious acts of
loving, and how can I know best on whom to focus today? Every time we go out into the world in any
capacity, we are representatives of Christ.”
-
Every day we are
surrounded by people who need love… those in our family, those who live near
us, and those who are complete strangers.
We have the responsibility as Christ’s ambassadors to love the world and
to demonstrate His love… we need to make a conscious effort to show love and
take advantage of the opportunities we have to do so. But we
also need to be wise in knowing who God is specifically asking us to love
today.
“How can you love your world when you’re mad at
everyone in it? Basically, we have to:
1. Get validation for our anger so we can fully express it; 2. Honestly evaluate whether we’re blaming
someone else for the situation causing our anger and if so, take personal
responsibility; 3. Grieve the feeling underneath our anger (usually sadness
and/or fear); and 4. Let go of our anger by forgiving whoever we’re mad at and
asking God to heal us.”
-
Anger can be a
huge hinder in our ability to love others. I've seen how it hinders my own ability when I get caught up in my anger
over the complete injustice we have had to deal with over L&I. I constantly have to remind myself that God
is in control of the situation. Yes, it is
not wrong to get angry over the situation… there are a lot of underlying
emotions that go into this anger… but God is the only one who can bring about
complete healing. So, when I start to
feel the anger build up and overwhelm me I try to refocus on God… usually by
reading the Psalms and praying. We may be at different stages in this process with each person we are angry with... but the goal is to continue to walk through the stages until we reach complete healing in God.
People Can’t Drive you Crazy if you don’t
give them the Keys by Mike Bechtle
“If you continue to do what you've always done, you’ll
continue to get what you've always gotten… If you want to anything to be
different, you have to do things differently.”
-
How true is this…
that is why so many people get on the crazy cycle and can’t seem to get
off. We try over and over to change a
situation but we keep doing the same thing and end up with the same
results. In one situation in life I am
trying to brainstorm different ways to handle the situation in hopes of getting
different results… positive ones. I pray
that God will give me the wisdom to figure things out now and that we’ll see
His hand of blessing upon our family.
“Whenever we try to appear perfect to crazy people, we’re
ensuring that our relationship will never be healthy. It’s not based on truth; it’s based on a
contrived image we've developed.”
-
Wow… coming from
a person who tries to appear “perfect” before other people so often this was
hard hitting. How often has trying to
maintain perfection actually been what destroyed the relationship in the first
place. How often can humility and
transparency be the key to healing and growth in a relationship? I see this in my own marriage. I try to appear that I have everything under
control and that I am not affected by our circumstances but instead I end up
pushing away the one person I need the most in order to make it through these
trials. It is when I open up to him and
share what I am struggling with the most that we can draw strength from each
other to make it another day.
“When we’re caught in the emotional chaos of our
lives, we need someone else to challenge our perspective, provide insight, and
ask the right questions.”
-
I thank God for
the people in my life that have taken the time to ask me questions… give me
advice… or just listen to me so I can process what is going on and how I need
to change in order to bring more glory to God.
“Boundaries are like fences; when we've put them in
place, it helps keep intruders from invading our sanity… boundaries are the
decisions we've made that protect our emotions.”
-
I have never
thought of boundaries in this sense.
These last couple years I have had to really learn to put up
boundaries. This isn't something that is
easy for me since I don’t like conflict but I've learned the importance of
putting up boundaries to keep me sane.
“No matter how crazy someone is, God never gives up on
them. He cares deeply about them as well
as us, and is working around the clock to influence change in their lives.”
-
Thankfully this
is true about everyone… I know that I am a “crazy” person to someone else. God won’t give up on me and the areas in my
own life that I need to change. He
desires to change us and mold us into the image of His Son. God also loves the crazy people in my life…
which is why praying for them usually brings about a change of attitude towards
them. May God’s redeeming work be seen
in my own life as well as the crazy people I come in contact with.
No comments:
Post a Comment