So... today is an official holiday in Argentina, one that is celebrated big time in Catamarca. It is the first time that I got to experience it in person. Let me tell you it left me a bit overwhelmed. For the past couple days people have been arriving from all over the Country. They have been coming in car, bus, motorcycle, bikes, and even walking for DAYS! The parks and plazas are full of tents as there is no place to host the thousands of extra people who have arrived.
Since I live half a block from the main avenue that is called ¨Virgin of the Valley¨ all day long we were tortured by depressing music that sounded a lot like chanting to Mary. This afternoon the streets were closed off as they began the parade. For a couple hours groups of people carrying the ¨Virgin Mary¨ walked the streets with music and reading of scripture that focused on Mary. It was sad to hear Jesus' name only because of the fact that he was Mary’s son. As I stood and watched what was going on around me I was saddened by the fact that instead of celebrating the life and resurrection of Jesus they are worshipping his mother. We serve a living God and they are worshiping a statue that has no power. My mind went back to the days of Israel when they put up altars to other God’s... and I began praying that their minds would be opened to the truth.
Let me clarify, I have nothing against Mary. She was an amazing woman that was blessed with the privilege of giving birth to our Saviour. But she is just like any other believer... a servant of God! A sinner that was used by God to accomplish His plan for the world. One that should be remembered but not glorified. The Glory belongs to God alone!
1 comment:
Gloria a Dios!
Post a Comment