Living Life...

Living Life...

Sunday, April 5, 2026

April 2026 – Spring Break Part 1… Florida Bound…!

I was so excited to leave work on Friday… especially since I still had to get home to pack for our trip. I hate doing it last minute, but I was so busy this past week that I didn’t get it done. Thankfully, we had the red-eye so I had a few hours when I got home. When I got home, Carrie and Lucky were there so I was able to visit with them quickly, while I unloaded my backpack to re-pack. I then blazed through the rest of the bags… packing my clothes, my backpack, making sure Cooper didn’t have anything that he couldn’t take on the plane in his bags, and packing Matthew’s medical supplies.

After all was packed, I made dinner before we headed off to the airport. While the food was cooking, I helped Matthew prepare for the trip with new medical supplies and diabetes supplies. He was all fresh and ready to go.

We arrived at the airport super early because of it being Spring Break and all the TSA nightmares currently going on with the Government shutdown happening again. Even with wheelchair escort, it still took us an hour to get through security and that was with skipping half the line.

We finally arrived at our gate only to find out that our plane arrival was going to be delayed slightly. I wasn’t too concerned at first since we had 1 ½ hour layover in Atlanta. As the night went on, the delay kept getting longer. The departure ended up being delayed also and our layover kept shrinking. Everyone was freaking out about missing their flights (rightly so). The flight wasn’t too bad but unfortunately, I did not sleep much squished in-between the boys. There was not much airflow on the flight either, so I was superhot. Just before we arrived, I noticed that our next flight was already boarding and was planning on leaving early so we knew we were going to miss it. Thankfully, there was another flight to Jacksonville a couple hours later, so I quickly changed us to that flight before it filled up. 

Cooper needed a little help with the headphones... 


Watching the sunrise... 


No worries... I solved the issue while on the flight!

Transferring between flights was interesting, as halfway through, our gates changed so we had to return to the Plane Train and go to another terminal. After all was done and said, we had just enough time at the airport to get some food and for everyone to use the restroom before we boarded the next flight. Matthew even scored us seats in the same row by talking to the flight agent.

Finally, we made it to Jacksonville, just a couple hours delayed, picked up the rental car and headed to Matthew’s Dad’s house. We loaded up his wheelchair and rearranged the stuff so that everything fit and made our way up to Savannah Georgia for a few days. It was an easy drive up, only a couple hours to the AirBnB we rented which was super cute.

Of course, we got there and unloaded the car. Made a quick trip to the store for a few items and found a local Mexican Restaurant. The food was absolutely delicious. I had some Chicken Milanesa, which I split with Cooper who was more tired than hungry. The rest of the evening was spent relaxing at the rental. We were exhausted from the long day of traveling. Of course, I quickly learned that I should not have eaten the chips and salsa. My gut was not quite ready for the salsa… so I spent the evening curled up in pain as it passed through my system. Just when I thought I was 100% better… I learn there are still things that trigger my gut pain. 

Finally we are in Florida... but not for long!

We made it to Georgia... time to eat!

I had an amazing night of sleep and thankfully woke up without any pain on Sunday. It was Easter Sunday, so we had a relaxing morning. I had my quiet time in the morning, and then Matthew went and picked up Sausage and Egg Biscuits for breakfast. Doug and Cooper finally woke up and ate breakfast and prayed in remembrance of Easter and the gratitude for what Jesus did for us. We had a relaxing morning before finally finding an activity to do for the day that would be open on Easter Sunday.

We headed to Wormsloe State Historic Site. Matthew and I love seeing the history of places we visit, as does Doug so this was the perfect place to visit. It was founded by Noble Jones in the 1700’s. He arrived with the first group of settlers from England and the Tabby ruins is the oldest standing structure in Savannah. Noble Jones served the colony as a doctor, constable, Indian agent, Royal Councilor, and surveyor (he layed out many of the towns in the area). He also commanded a company of marines that defended the Georgia coastline from the Spanish. The ancestor of Noble Jones continued to own and run the land until the State of Georgia acquired most of it in 1973, but the family still owns a portion of it and live on it to this day. 


Heading into the visitor center... 


We started the tour on shuttle ride from the visitor center down to the museum where we learned a lot of the history and enjoyed the view of the approximately 1 ½ mile driveway sheltered by live oaks. It was a beautiful drive down and the oaks provided shade from the heat. The museum had some interesting things to see. Cooper and I then continued on to see the Tabby ruins and graveyard. 


So thankful for the shuttle ride...
and learning the history as we went...!




The driveway was beautiful... 
and lots of shade which made it nice!

A new tree that was planted... 

Families current house... 

Our tour guide on the ride down... 


Enjoying the museum... 



Doug took lots of pictures too.. 



Cooper and I enjoyed the ruins... 



Oldest ruins still in Georgia.. 




Cooper and I found the water... 



Family Graveyard... 



Heading back to the visitor center... 



Doug had the perfect seat... 

Matthew protected me from the mean dogs on the shuttle... 




The old entrance into the home... 


After our tour, we found a fun place to eat lunch. Originally, we were going to eat at a restaurant that used to be a bank, but after reading the menu, I changed the plan mid-drive and found a cool bar and grill called “The 5 Spot”. It had a variety of food to choose between. Matthew and his dad enjoyed Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches, Cooper had his typical chicken strips, and I had a Georgia breakfast called “The Classic Five” which consisted of Eggs, Cheese Grits, Bacon, Biscuit, and Sausage Gravy. The food was delicious and cheaper than it would have been in Washington for sure.   

The food was delicious... 


After lunch, we went back to the house to rest. I was going to just read while the guys took a nap, but it didn’t take long for my eyes to “need to rest” and I was soon asleep like the others. We had an amazing nap and then decided to spend the evening back at the house just hanging out. Matthew and I made a quick trip to the store to buy snacks and food for dinner and breakfast the next morning. I made one of the pizzas for dinner and then we just vegged out with all the tv streaming shows they had at the house. It was a relaxing evening and the perfect way to end the day.

Look at the top of the light post... 

Easy dinner at the AirBnB... 

No comments: