Holiness: The Heart God Purifies
By Nancy Leigh
DeMoss
Quotes & Summary in White – My thoughts in Red
Chapter 5 – The Pathway to Holiness: “Put off”—Say “No” to
Corruption”
I’ve been a
Christian for 30 years and am actively involved in my church and Bible
study. I keep wondering why my sin
nature is the “path of least resistance.”
A sinful mindset (worry, anger, doubt) seems to be my “default”
mode—unless I’m making an effort, it’s where my thoughts seem to go. It seems like as a new creation in Christ, it
wouldn’t be such a struggle.
I think a
lot of us feel the same way as this lady.
Even after years and years of walking with the Lord… unless we are
consciously making an effort… focused on living a holy life and doing what
glorifies the Lord, we seem to default back to a sinful mindset of worry,
anger, doubt… I could add more… some of the areas I have struggled with:
pleasing others, perfectionism, wanting to be accepted. Unfortunately, I have found that when I walk
with God, I will not always be accepted by others. I learned this at a young age, but it doesn’t
make it easier. I need to constantly
turn my eyes back to Christ and focus on my relationship with Him.
I think deep down
we’d like to find a pathway to sanctification that is instant and effortless—no
long process, no hard battle. The fact
is, there is no such thing. According to
Hebrews 12:14, the pathway of holiness requires intensity and
intentionality.
“Make every effort… to be holy” (NIV)
“Strive for … holiness” (ESV)
“Pursue… holiness” (NKJV)
Or, as Kenneth Wuest
translates it: “Constantly be eagerly seeking after… holiness.”
In other words, we
must make it our constant, conscious ambition and aim to be holy. We have to
work at it, concentrate on it, as an athlete sets his sights on winning an
Olympic gold medal: He focuses on his objective, he trains and strains to
achieve his goal, he sacrifices for it, he endures pain for it, and he puts
aside other pursuits for the sake of a higher pursuit.
I went
back and read the entire verse. “Strive
for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the
Lord. See to it that no one fails to
obtain the grace of God; that no ‘root of bitterness’ springs up and causes
trouble, and by it many become defiled…” (Hebrews 12:14-15).
Wow, as I
do my Bible study looking out at the beauty of the snow, pure white snow, I am
reminded that in Psalms 51, when God washes us, we are “Whiter than snow”. It does not take much to dirty snow… to
blemish it… but we have a God that can and will cleanse us if we ask Him
to. We have to be in constant
communication and relationship with Him to remain pure and holy. It is not a striving to do it on our own but
a striving to be in relationship with the Holy God that we need. I believe that as we strive to be intentional
about walking with God and obeying Him then holiness with be the natural
outcome. What am I willing to put aside
so I can spend time with God? What do I need to put aside so I can spend time
with God?
In the
same way we are to strive to have peace with everyone. With the broken relationships I have with my in-laws,
I question whether or not I have done everything I can to have peace with
everyone. Am I supposed to do more? Am I supposed to reach out again, only to have
my heart torn in two again? I don’t know
the answer to that question. Other
verses make it clear that we are to have peace as far as it depends on us. I cannot change how other people think or
what they choose to do. I cannot change the fact that they are choosing to
believe a reality different from the one that I was living. I know that God is a God of miracles and that
it will take one to restore some relationships.
So, for now I am going to leave it in His hands and if He opens a door
and asks me to walk through… then I pray that I have the strength to obey.
As children of God
in pursuit of holiness, we must “put off” our old, corrupt, sinful way of life
and everything that might fuel its growth. And we must consciously “put on” the
holy life that is ours through Christ.
“Flee
(put off) youthful passions and pursue (put on) righteousness, faith, love and
peace.” – 2 Timothy 2:22
“Put
away (put off) all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness
(put on) the implanted word, which is able to save your souls” – James 1:21
As a
believer I need to make a decision to both; steer clear of anything that is
leading me down a path of sin and choose to live a holy life. Trying to live a holy life while doing things
that are sinful or going places that fuel sins growth is counterproductive. Just
as removing the sin from my life while not doing anything to walk a righteous
life doesn’t draw me any closer to God and the holy life that He has called me
to.
Another word for
“putting off” is mortification. It comes
from a Latin word that means “to kill” or “to put to death”. In a spiritual sense, it relates to how we
deal with sin. It indicates that there
is a struggle—a battle—involved in dealing with sin, and that determined,
decisive action is required. It speaks
of putting the ax to the root of our sinful inclinations and desires. It implies intolerance for anything in our
lives that is contrary to the holiness of God.
I
understand that there is a struggle involved in dealing with sin… I feel the
struggle on a daily basis… but so often I give into the struggle instead of
taking decisive action to destroy it. Other
times, I try to remove the fruit of sin…. Instead of trying to take it out at
the roots and completely destroy it.
Forgive me Lord for not making holiness a higher priority in my life and
for giving in to sins in my life.
Holiness and sin
cannot both thrive in our lives. One or
the other must die. If we allow weeds of
sin to grow up unchecked in our hearts and minds and behavior, the holy life of
Christ within us will be choked out.
This is
something I have been told all my life… Holiness and since cannot live
together. I have to choose one or the
other. Am I going to allow sin to thrive
in my life… live unchecked… or even hidden away under the surface or am I going
to let holiness thrive in my life… overflowing out of me to others? Sin will either slowly (or rapidly) kill off
the holy life of Christ within me… or Holiness will destroy the sin in my life
an uproot it completely. The choice is
mine to make…
Mortification
involves more than getting rid of things that are inherently sinful. It also suggests the willingness to eliminate
influences that may not be sinful in and of themselves, but that could fuel
unholy thoughts or behavior and thereby lead us into sin. It means cutting off every possible means to
sin.
This
process… means not only do I get rid of the things that I know for sure,
without a doubt, are sins but also… remove the things that lead me to sin… the
temptations in my life. It isn’t easy…
because they are temptations… things that I enjoy… that lead me into sins. What have I allowed into my life that is
leading me away from my love of God?
That is what I need to get rid of…
Some years ago, I
discovered that the television had become a weed that was choking out holiness
in my life. It was dulling my spiritual
sensitivity and diminishing my love and longing for God. Slowly, subtly, the world was stealing my
affection, altering my appetites, and seeping into the pores of my being. I found myself being entertained by behavior,
speech, attitudes, and philosophies that the world would consider acceptable,
but that I knew were unholy. The longer
I held on to and justified my viewing habits, the less motivated I was to
change. In my heart, I knew that my spiritual life would be better off without
the TV. But for many months, I thought the Spirit was tugging at my heart, I
resisted doing anything about it. One day I finally said, “Yes, Lord.” I agreed
to mortify my flesh—to take decisive action against that which was competing
with righteousness in my life. For me,
that meant making a commitment not to watch TV any time I am alone. Almost immediately, my love for God was
rekindled, my desire for holiness was renewed, and my spirit began to flourish
once again.
It’s a decision I’ve
never regretted. On a handful of occasions since, when I have made exceptions
to that commitment— to watch news coverage of a major disaster or crisis—I’ve
discovered that it’s just too easy for me to drift into making great allowances
and to slip back into old patterns. This
is one activity that, for me, needs to stay “mortified” if I am going to keep
pursuing holiness!
There are
so many things that can draw us away from pursuing holiness… things that we do
that just “waste” our time. When I lived
in Argentina, I didn’t have a TV so I only watched movies on my computer on
occasion… that sure helped it from drawing me away from God. I have had to set limits on some of the
things that I have done in the past to “unwind”. I used to play games on my tablet for an hour
before bed… now I only allow myself to play two games. My current distraction is reading news
articles… I waste so much time reading news that really has no impact on my
life… time I could spend reading the Word of God or praying. Sometimes I hop from one distraction to
another. Lord, show me if I need to
completely remove anything from my life or set limits on it so that I can
pursue you more faithfully.
That approach will
sound extreme to some—the word legalistic will probably surface in such a
discussion. We do need to guard against
making absolutes out of personal standards that are not specified in Scripture,
or assuming that others are sinning if they don’t adopt our standards about
issues that may not be traps for them.
But why are we so prone to defend choices that take us right to the edge
of sin, and so reluctant to make radical choices to protect our hearts and
minds from sin.
There is such a fine line between making the right choice to live a Holy life for ourselves and living a legalistic and at times judgmental life. I don’t want to make decisions for myself and then expect others to live up to the same standard and at the same time, I want to make sure I am not doing it to obey a “set of rules” that I have created… but out of a heart that desires to please God and know Him better.
It's no big surprise
to me to see how many professing Christians struggle with lust and sexual sin
and “fall” into immoral relationships, when I learn about their entertainment
choices—the books and magazines they read, the music they listen to, and the
movies they watch. A woman whose diet includes mostly romantic novels or
popular women’s magazines is setting herself up for moral temptation, if not
failure.
I have no doubt that
I could get drawn into committing emotional, if not physical, adultery, if I do
not continually guard my heart. I am not
(and never will be) so “spiritual” as to be immune to sexual sin.
If we fill
ourselves up with unholy things, then naturally that is what will come out eventually. Just like the more you listen to people
swearing, the more likely you are to swear… the more you engage in
entertainment that is filled with sexual immorality the more it will start to
seep into your own life… even if it only be your thought life. The sins become so “normal” that we don’t
think anything of them as sins… we are no longer repulsed by them… that is a
sad place to be in.
I have embarked on
an intentional pursuit of holiness. I
don’t want to displease the Lord or bring reproach to His name. Nor do I want
to suffer the awful consequences and destructive effects of immorality. So, as
part of my “battle plan,” I have resolved not to expose myself to entertainment
or other influences that put immorality in a favorable light or could fuel
unholy desires. Further, I have determined, by God’s grace, not to allow myself
to be in situations where I could be tempted to sin morally—whether
emotionally, mentally, or physically. For me, that means no meetings alone
behind closed doors with married men, an no traveling or meals alone with
married men; it means emails exchanges of a personal nature with men get copied
to their wives; it means not cultivating friendships with married men, apart
from the presence and participation of their wives… far from being a burden,
these “guardrails” have been a huge protection and blessing in my life.
Matthew
and I have put many of these guardrails up in or our own marriage. We have made the decision to not be alone
with anyone of the opposite gender. We
are also very careful about how much we communicate with someone of the
opposite gender, and both have full access to the other person’s cell phones
and technology. When I felt that another
woman was vulnerable and drawing herself too close to Matthew, I would let him
know and he would put up even more boundaries around her. This has been a safeguard in our marriage.
In today’s world,
such measures seem unrealistic or excessive, even to many Christians. The problem is that most people in today’s
world aren’t in pursuit of holiness, therefore, they think nothing of sin. Behavior that was once considered unacceptable—even
by unbelievers—is now considered normal.
Lord, open
my eyes to any area of my life that is a sin… any area that I consider “normal”
because it is in the eyes of the world, but to you it is hideous… because it
goes against everything You stand for.
May I worry more about how you view my behaviors than other people, even
other Christians. May I seek to obey you
above all else. May my walk with You be
the most important thing in my life… my number one priority every day.
Ultimately,
mortification takes us back to the cross.
It is at the Cross that Jesus died for sin and died to sin so we could
be free from sin. However, we must also
make a daily, determined choice to reject sin’s rule in our lives: “Let not sin
therefore reign in your mortal bodies, to make you obey their passions.”—Romans
6:12
Lord, it
is only because of Your sacrifice on the cross that I can even have the power
to turn away from the temptations of sin in my own life. If I try to do it in my own power I will fail
every time. If I try to walk the
Christian life on my own, then sin will reign in my mortal body and I will obey
its passions. But… because You died on
the cross for me, I don’t have to do it alone.
You are my Salvation, You are my Hope, You are my Strength, My Power, My
Overcomer, My Guide… You are everything I need.
I’m not just running away from sin… I’m running into the arms of my
Savior.
When faced with
circumstances or opportunities to indulge your flesh, don’t stand around and
think about it. Don’t fool yourself into
thinking you can handle it. If you can’t
control your eating habits, ask a friend or family member to hold you
accountable to what you eat and when… Drunkenness isn’t a temptation I struggle
with—but if that is an area where you are vulnerable, mortify those desires by
staying away from bars… If computer games are constantly calling your name,
consuming your time and causing you to lose your hunger and thirst for
righteousness, ask a godly friend to hold you accountable for how much time you
spend playing games. Or you may need to give them up altogether, in order to
rekindle your love and desire for God. If your being enticed by pornography or
lured into unwholesome relationships over the internet, establish parameters
for your computer use that will make it difficult to continue sinning… if
romantic movies make you discontent with your singleness or dissatisfied with
your mate, don’t watch them! If certain
magazines or books plant less-than-holy thoughts, desires or images in your
mind, drop your subscription, toss the books.
If you’re tempted to become physically intimate with the person you’re
dating, don’t single date… if you’re being drawn into an illegitimate relationship
with a co-worker or a counselor your seeing- get out!
I’m not
currently struggling with many of those areas, but I do have areas that I
struggle with. I think right now my biggest thing is my addiction to a new game
on my phone. It has been consuming a lot
of my time… first thing when I wake up, during the day, before bed. I am constantly playing the game. I need to stand up right now and delete it
from my phone. Now that it is uninstalled, I need to make sure that I don’t
re-install it in a moment of weakness. Previously,
I had limited myself to 2 games before bed which was working well for me. Another area that can get to me is reading
news articles. I’m not sure if I need to
limit myself like I did with the games or completely cut it out
altogether. I will try limiting them for
a week and see how that works for me. I do desire to grow in my passion for God
and to have daily close interactions with Him and want to do whatever it takes
to make it happen.
Tough? Yes. The question is, how serous are you wanting to
be pure? If holiness matters to you, you’ll be willing to do whatever you have
to do guard your heart and protect yourself- and the other person- from sinning
against God… What did Jesus mean when He said, “If your right hand causes you
to sin, cut it off and throw it away” (Matthew 5:30), if He wasn’t talking
about the willingness to take extreme measures to avoid sinning?
Lord, I want
to be serious about being pure. I want
to take extreme measures if that is what it is going to take. I want to have a vibrant walk with you
again. I want to walk in your presence
daily and know without a doubt that I am walking in Your will. I’m tired of constantly falling and feeling
like a failure in my walk with You. I
need You. I’ve walked with you closely before
and I miss it… I miss feeling Your presence and knowing that I am in Your
will.
To continue fueling
sin or to hold on to anything that is your means to sin is like pouring fertilizer
on weeds and then getting frustrated because you can’t get rid of the weeds!
Lord, open
my eyes to what I am holding onto that I need to get rid of. What are the distractions in my life? What is the “fertilizer” in my life? What are the weeds that are blocking me from
a fruitful life with You? Help me to
take the small steps of obedience (spending time in Your Word each day,
meditating on Your Word, praying, seeking Your wisdom) so that I will be
willing to take the bigger steps of obedience.
At times we enjoy
our sin too much to want to let it go.
We think we’ll be miserable if we give it up. But the truth is that
those fleshly desires and deeds to which we cling will keep us from enjoying
the life for which we were created.
Not until we
mortify—put to death—our sinful flesh can we experience the freedom,
forgiveness, and fullness for which our hearts long. Once we have been cleansed and have
experienced the joys and satisfaction of His mercy and grace, we will find we
no longer want those things we once craved and felt we couldn’t live without. To walk in the light with Him will be our
greatest treat.
Lord, help
me come to a place that I no longer want to cling to my sins. That I don’t find
enjoyment in them anymore. May I once
again experience the freedom that is found in You alone… in Your forgiveness…
in walking in obedience to You and living in Your will. Lord, I don’t want to crave sin… I want to
crave You alone. I want You to be my
greatest desire… my first thought in the morning, my last thought at night… and
what I constantly go back to throughout the day. Completely consume me with Your love.
No comments:
Post a Comment