Matthew and I decided to head down to the Oregon Coast at the last minute… as I mentioned in my last blog, Matthew recognized how busy and stressed I had been and decided I needed a break and the only way to get one was to get out of town. After researching on the web where I wanted to go, I finally settled on Lincoln City, Oregon. We had never been there as a couple so it was going to be a new adventure and we booked a room at beautiful resort with an ocean view. I couldn’t wait to leave…
After taking time off work and booking our hotel, we decided to leave on Thursday morning instead of in the afternoon… so we rescheduled his appointment and I logged into work from my phone. This was a good way for me to supervise my paras as they ran the 1:1 times with my students before having to do it on their own the next day. Thankfully, I didn’t have to teach the class on Thursday since my co-teacher does it. Working made the drive down go a lot quicker and before I knew it, we had arrived at the beach just in time for my last couple meetings… so of course, I opted to get out of the car and enjoy the beach while we talked.
We arrived too early to check into the hotel, so we explored the area while we waited. Matthew knows how much I enjoy stopping at scenic areas as well as historical stops so he found as many local ones as he could until we got the call that our room was ready.
After quickly checking into our room,
we asked a local for a good Mexican restaurant.
We didn’t want to go to a chain restaurant but a family one that served
authentic food. We were not disappointed
by the recommendation. The restaurant
was called, “La Roca” and I decided to get Fish Tacos while Matthew got his usual
Steak Fajitas.
We raced back to our hotel and got
there just in time for sunset… and to get the last spot by one of the fire pits…
I ran ahead of Matthew to claim our spot and waited for him to slowly catch
up. Anyone who knows me… knows how much
I love sunsets… especially at the ocean.
The view was absolutely beautiful, and I was able to capture every
moment.
After sunset, Matthew and headed to
the store to pick up snacks for the trip and a Redbox movie for the night. On the way back, I got a Snicker’s Blizzard
for dessert… unfortunately, our hotel room didn’t have a freezer inside the fridge,
so I ended up having to eat the blizzard right away instead of saving for that
evening.
We were all ready to go into the hot tub
during our scheduled time, since with Covid only one family was allowed at a
time. We picked up and the key and
headed over only to find out the hot tub was out of service. The repairman had told them it was fixed when
he left, but obviously it wasn’t. The
hotel was super accommodating and gave a free bottle of cider and snacks for the
inconvenience. We headed back to our room
to enjoy the evening in our room and watch the movie we rented.
I was rather surprised that the hotel’s
free breakfast was as good as it was considering Covid-19 restrictions. I actually prefer the new set-up for breakfast…
instead of having to eat in the main room with everyone you wait in line and
order your food and then take it back up to your room… We were able to eat breakfast
in peace and have a beautiful view. Matthew
loved the smoothies so when I brought the trays back down, I ended up getting
him another one.
The weather was cloudy and rainy on
Friday, so we checked out the local casino… We weren’t too fond of having to
wear masks and be around everyone so when Matthew found $100 lying around, we
collected our “winnings” and decided to leave.
Instead, we picked up a couple more Redbox movies and went back to the
hotel for a relaxing day.
We both love spending time at the
beach and watching storms, so we weren’t too disappointed to have a day of
rain. While Matthew took a nap, I was
able to spend some time listening to worship music and doing my Bible
study. The entire day was relaxing… just
what I needed to unwind.
That evening we decided to check out one of the fancy local restaurants, Kyllo’s. It had high reviews and was right along the water. The wait was about 45 minutes, but we were able to wait in the car until it was our turn, so it wasn’t too bad. Once again, we were not disappointed by the food… it was delicious. I had one of the seafood specials (Parmesan Crust Halibut) and Matthew had Jumbo Ribs. My mouth still waters thinking about the food… I would return and order the same meal from this restaurant without a doubt.
All in all, it was the perfect day…
relaxing yet enjoyable. After dinner we
returned to the hotel and I was able to get a few pictures from our
balcony. Matthew and I then relaxed and
watched movies since the hot tub still wasn’t fixed. I needed a day to relax after being on the go
for so long.
The next day, we had a leisurely
breakfast and then I had my quiet time while Matthew took a nap. We then decided to go to the various tourist
locations I had researched when we planned the trip. We headed south for the day and hit all the beautiful
locations along the way. While I had a
few scheduled stops, Matthew would stop whenever he saw a view he knew I would
want a picture of… so needless to say there were many stops along the way.
Our first major stop was at Depoe Bay. While in Depoe Bay, I found a highly rated
candy store and purchased Saltwater Taffy and homemade chocolates for the
trip. We then decided to eat lunch at
Gracie’s Sea Hag. It was one of the
locations I had researched as a possibility for dinner but since we were here, we
decided to just eat lunch. Of course, I
ordered sea food and Matthew had steak.
The food was not as good as the night before, but it was still delicious. We
parked across the street at the Whale Watching Center… and although it was
closed it was the perfect place to look for whales. I came at the right time, as we all saw a
couple whales that were in the area.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get a picture, so we headed on our
way.
The next tourist activity we
participated in was the Otter Crest Loop.
There were lots of beautiful spots along the way. We saw the Ben Jones Bridge which was an old
famous bridge. The loop ended with the
Devil’s Punchbowl which is an that fills up with water when the tide is
in.
The final stop was the Yaquina Bay Lighthouse in New Port, Oregon. The road all the way to the lighthouse was closed due to Covid, as was the lighthouse, but we were able to park and walk along the path up to the lighthouse. It was a beautiful walk and thankfully Matthew had his chair so we could make the trip.
It was getting close to sunset, so we
took a few pictures at the light house and then raced back to the hotel. We got back to the hotel in time to take
pictures from our room. It was gorgeous…
especially with the clouds so I am so glad we made it back.
We didn’t have much time between
sunset and our schedule time in the hot tub, so we decided to go back to the Mexican
restaurant for dinner. I tried another
seafood dish but afterwards wished I had gotten the seafood tacos which were
much better.
Sunday morning came much too
early. After breakfast, I was able to
have my quiet time while Matthew napped, before checking out of the hotel. We then headed home to return back to regular
life. Before heading out of town I picked up my last meal of seafood... it was delicious. Thankfully, we made it home just
in time to watch the Seahawks game. It
was the perfect weekend...!











No comments:
Post a Comment