Living Life...

Living Life...

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Trip to Florida… not what we expected

Long before Covid-19 hit Matthew and I planned a trip to Florida to see his father… he wanted to go because he said, “It may be the last time I get to see him”.  little did we know at the time how true these words might be.  We decided to still go on the trip since it was important for Matthew to see his father.  He had rebuilt a relationship with his father about 6 or 7 years ago and we have made multiple trips to Florida to see him and he came to see us a couple times.  Things had been going well but sometimes life turns on a dime…

The trip down was pretty uneventful… everyone in the airport and airplane was pretty much masked up (unless they were eating).  We had people help us through the airports, so I didn’t have to worry about all of the luggage as we went through security since Matthew always gets pulled away for special clearance.  Even though we took a red-eye I didn’t sleep on the way down, instead I took a nap once we got to Florida and went to bed earlier to change my schedule.  


Lots of snacks on the trip... so I could take my mask of a bit... 

Posing with Matthew... 

Sunrise was beautiful... 

Breakfast of champions... oreo shake 


The first couple days of the trip went great.  During the day, I was able to have my quiet time in the sunroom which is my favorite room in the house.  We spent the evenings visiting with Doug after he got home from work.  Lora unfortunately was having a lot of migraines because of the weather (I sure know how those are after my stint in the fall/winter) so she would go to bed early. 



Just a bit humid in the sunroom... 

Quite the view for my Bible Study... 

 

On Friday, we went to hang out at the Tibbets for a few hours.  Since they live so close to Doug, we always try to visit them when we are in the area.  They moved to a new house with a pool, so we enjoyed swimming and visiting.  It was a great afternoon.  

Enjoying the pool with Matthew

Jennyfer and I hanging out... 

Matthew and AJ... 


Saturday plays in my mind over and over again.  I wonder what we could have done differently… if anything.  The day started out great… Doug made us breakfast and then we headed to the beach for the afternoon.  It was peaceful sitting on the beach, and everyone really kept their distance… nothing like the news portrays.  Unfortunately, we ended up getting stuck on the beach since another truck was stuck on the pathway and blocking it.  Doug and Matthew got out and pushed our rental while I was in the driver seat.  We were able to get unstuck and ended up just waiting until the truck got off the path before we tried to go again.  Of course, this resulted in Matthew being in a lot of pain so on the drive home he snapped at his Dad… though he was quick to apologize.  We thought things were good, but I think  his Dad held onto that because things escalated throughout the night.  I won’t go into all the details, but his father did bring up things Matthew did when he was a child… and was upset that Matthew had not apologized for things he had done… things Matthew didn’t even know he wasn’t supposed to do. 

That night I fell asleep listening to my husband in tears.  I prayed that God would guide Matthew’s decision in what to do and we would have clarity.  In the morning we packed up and decided to leave.  Doug cornered me before I left… to be honest I don’t remember much that was said but I do remember telling him that he was wrong to throw Matthew’s childhood in his face.  Anyone that knows Matthew, knows that his childhood was hell…

I have had many conversations with Doug, and he has made it perfectly clear that if a relationship does not bring him encouragement that he wipes his hands and walks away… I also know my husband and how hurt that he is right now… my heart is heavy too and while I will forgive Doug for the pain he caused us I know that it will take a miracle from God to restore the relationship again.  


Enjoy a day at the beach... 

Last picture of Doug... 

Sitting in the shade... 

I love the sound of the waves... 

Of course I made Matthew take a picture with me.. 

When we left his house, we had two choices… we could go to a hotel until our flight home… I knew that if we did this then we would not leave the room except to eat and that it would be a very depressing end to our trip.  The other option was to go to the Tibbets house and visit them and see where things went from there.  We opted to go to the Tibbets since Jen had mentioned coming over on Sunday… we showed up on their doorstep and they graciously let us in with open arms. 

We had a lot of fun getting to know them better the last couple days of our trip.  It was such a blessing.  God knew exactly what we needed.  We talked, we laughed, we swam, we took them out to dinner, and we just relaxed.  It was a blessing to be able to spend the time with them and we look forward to future visits.  


Enjoying the pool again... 

Dinner with Aaron and Jennyfer... 

Trying to hide the pain... 

Quiet time by the pool... 

Heading back home... (with my cool new masks... thanks Jennyfer!)
 

Anyone who knows me… knows that I hate conflict. It eats away at me… but after everything we have gone through with Matthew’s family it is so hard to reach out again… I have been hurt over and over again by them only to have them deny having done anything wrong.  Honestly, I don’t know what the right thing to do is… I don’t know if it is time to put up boundaries, so I don’t get hurt again… or try to continue to reach out and restore the relationship once again.  For now, I will continue to pray for God for guidance and healing as we process the pain once again. 


No comments: