Living Life...

Living Life...

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Praise God…One Battle is OVER…!


Side by side we have been fighting together... 

Honestly, I don’t think that it has sunk it yet… I am still in shock.  We have been in this battle for almost 9 years.  Today Matthew had another court appearing with the judge for social security disability.  The first time we went to court over five years ago, the judge chewed out Matthew’s lawyers and then determined that Matthew was not disabled… he made his determination based on the lies of L&I’s doctor instead of the treating physicians.  He claimed that Matthew was faking it and there was nothing wrong with his left arm… We were devastated but we appealed his decision and shortly afterwards his arm was amputated.  The appellate court ruled in our favor and sent the case back to the same judge… they pretty much slapped his hand and told him he ruled illegally.  To say the judge was not happy with us was an understatement… when Matthew went back to court a couple years later he yelled at him for not letting him know about the future amputation… We informed him that we were trying other treatments to save the arm and that the amputation was a last resort.  He came back and gave a partial favorable ruling… In this ruling he claimed Matthew was able to return to work two months after the amputation.  Once again, we appealed this decision and the appellate court ruled in our favor.  This time though, they had to send the case back to a new judge. 

Today was the day that we saw the new judge… Matthew was super anxious going back before the judge since his previous experience had been so horrible, but I had some hope… our lawyers told us that the judge we had this time around was a compassionate one.  We spent only about 15 minutes with the judge today.  He didn’t really have any questions for Matthew.  Instead, he had a medical expert and vocational counselor testify.  He then looked at us and told us that Matthew was determined to be disabled.  He apologized for how long it took and for everything that we went through.  The weight was lifted from our shoulders immediately… the battle was over in that instant.  To be honest it still hard to believe… We no longer have to fight on behalf of Matthew.  I know a lot of people have been praying and for that I am grateful. 

Many of you may wonder what is next… now we just have to wait for the judge to officially write up his decision which could take up to six months.  Then they will determine the back pay and the pension.  I am not sure how long this will all take but at least the battle is over.  My hope is that L&I will follow suit, quit fighting, and set him up with a pension as well.  Thank you to everyone who has been walking with us through all of this and kept me sane through it all…

No comments: