Living Life...

Living Life...

Monday, May 11, 2009

The two questions more commonly asked:

(So, do you think you can guess them? Most of you have asked me about it..! But I have not had time to share the answer with everyone yet.)

1) So, what are you future plans?

Now that is a great question… one I have been asking myself for quite some time… even before coming home I was trying to figure out the answer to that one… actually I think it has been a couple years now. What does the future hold… but I just can’t seem to find the answer J I have had LOTS of advice from friends and family on what they think I should do, both in Argentina and here in the States. My own desires go back and forth between Argentina and the United States with so many questions in relation to both Countries and what it would look like… I am coming to terms that I don’t have any answers yet and I am trying to seek what God has for me. God makes His plans clear one step at a time… He does not give us an outline of what the rest of our life looks like. So, since I cannot let you in on what the future holds… I can share what today holds. Today I want to know God more… to spend time in His Word… to draw close to Him and share what He is teaching me with those around me; whether it be through email back to those in Argentina or in person with those here in the States. I want to see God’s Kingdom grow and know that I am playing a part in the work. I want to learn to love those around me and see them learning to love one another. I want my life to constantly be changed by God and to see Him changing the lives of others. May today His Kingdom com and His Will be done..!

2) Whatever happened with the housing situation? (Some may be asking what this is all about because they never heard about it in the first place… so I guess I will just share the WHOLE story)

About three weeks before coming home I had to move out of the house I had rented for two years. The day before moving out the owner showed up to inspect it unexpectedly. I informed her that we were not finished yet as we still had to paint another layer that night. After walking in with her son and inspecting the house she made a list of EVERYTHING that she wanted us to fix in 24 hours (well… she gave me her ‘word’ that I could have 72 hours to fix it up, but refused to sign anything so a friend that is studying law told me to do as much as I could and return it on time. (Ah… added note, she is a lawyer!)


So 24 hours later and a total of 2000 pesos we were finally ready to return the house. Thankfully God blessed me with a man whose job was to paint houses and fix them up and some other willing hands who spent ALL NIGHT working on the house. I was also blessed by the Millar’s with access to their car to run errands all night and all morning as I also had to give her proof that there were no outstanding debts with any of the utilities. (This included going to each company and paying for a form saying I had paid each month… which in reality was impossible as most places did not do this in a day. But God touched various hearts and I got it done… ah… side note the owner could have got online to see that it was all paid up to date herself… but that would have been too easy.)


The owner was rather surprised that I called her telling her I was ready to turn in the keys and almost refused to come. When she got to the house, she refused to accept the key until she inspected the house and she would not inspect it unless I entered the house alone. Foolishly I went in the house with her confident that she would be satisfied (as we completed everything but fixing one fan that broke a week after we moved in.) Her and her lawyer son complimented me on all that we did, then needless to say started making out a list of things they still were not satisfied with (some examples are: house exterior was not painted completely, furniture was not varnished, they were not convinced we used latex paint on the interior, doors were not painted, etc. Thankfully I had taking pictures of the house when I moved in as evidence to its state of being, which was a disaster.) She refused to receive the house unless I signed this list… I freaked and went outside to consult my friend since they were not allowed to enter. I was told not to sign anything and to put the key in her hand and to leave which I did. We then went straight to a lawyer with another key and explained the situation. The lawyer called her but she also refused to pick up the key from him unless I signed her document.


The following week I went up to Jujuy for my friend’s wedding and to forget about all of this, only to receive a letter stating that I have 72 hours to pay 5400 pesos . I was being charged a total of 1800 to fix the house to her satisfaction (though I forgot to mention she also had a 1100 pesos deposit) but on top of fixing the house up I was expected to pay another month’s rent and fees for not returning the house to her satisfaction as stated in the contract. Since I was out of town I was not able to respond to the letter and tried to get it out of my mind and enjoy my trip. Of course, upon returning to Catamarca she sent the same letter to my co-signer (which is the father of one of my friends). I went to talk to him to ask what he wanted me to do, Pay what she was asking or leave it in his hands. He told me that she was being ridiculous and to leave it in his hands. So that is what I did. I left everything in his hands. We are hoping she was just trying to “scare” me into paying, but don’t really know. His lawyer responded to the letter stating they were not going to pay, but there has been no response yet. Please keep this situation in your prayers… If it does go to court I will have to pay out any lawyer/settling fees. I don’t really know what is going to happen but I am confident of two things. First off, I left the house in better condition than I received it so my testimony was not damaged. Secondly, I left the house in good hands as my co-signer is not only a businessman but also the owner of the news station in Catamarca.

1 comment:

The Williams Five said...

I still can't believe the nerve of some people! At least you know that you did everything (and more) you could to make sure the house was in better condition than when you received it. Now we just pray that somehow this situation will be used to glorify God. And you know He can do that!!