Living Life...

Living Life...

Monday, October 1, 2007

Ministry Mixed in with Birthdays!

The last couple weeks have been as busy as ever. My first weekend home I had the opportunity to go to a conference on Sex. This is a topic that is rarely talked about here in Argentina but happens on a regular basis. It is interesting how many young girls end up pregnant and yet the people aren’t willing to talk about the reality of it or the need to educate the youth. After a two-day intensive conference in which I faced various trials… (lack of sleep… once again getting sick… my luggage was brought back to Catamarca so I had to wear the same clothing the whole time… conflict with a friend… etc) We returned home at 3:30 am… just in time to celebrate Mauricio, my roommates’ brother’s 18th birthday. The party was at my house… so I greeted everyone and then collapsed in bed around 4:00 am.

There have been various trials within the church in the past couple weeks and I have found it necessary to spend more time in prayer. One day I took the opportunity to go to the plaza (where one of the conflicts took place) and pray for El Encuentro, the church and the broken relationships. Maria, one of the girls I am mentoring went with me and we had a neat time in prayer. Please be praying for the church and for the changes that are taking place. I am convinced that I need to be on my knees more often during this time and I invite you to join me.

One of the big changes that is coming up is that Scott and Ruth are looking into starting up a new church about 15 minutes from the city. Pray for wisdom and direction for them as they seek who will work alongside them and how to best reach out to the neighborhood. This past weekend we were able to have a youth camp at a house they are renting in hopes of starting the new church. I was able to lead the group discussion in the morning based on the passage Romans 12. The themes were; A life of praise, fellowship, and forgiveness. Pray that God would help the youth to forgive one another, enjoy true fellowship and in return honor God with their lives. Once again we arrived home to celebrate another birthday for Jorge, my roommates other brother. J

In the middle of the week we celebrated Norma’s birthday… my roommates’ mother. She has started a new tradition with her family. Instead of making a ‘wish’ as they blow out the candle they have started praying out loud for what they want from the Lord. It has been neat to hear these heartfelt prayers and they each desire to follow God with their life. Norma’s party was a good opportunity to reach out to one of her sister’s who is not a believer. Most of the family did not come because we invited the women from the church and they didn’t want to hear all about religion. But the night was truly spent enjoying one another’s company and laughing as they ‘older women’ had a beauty contest in honor of this week’s event. (It is the week of the students in which all the school’s had to choose their “beauty queen” and then their was a big competition between the school’s.) Norma’s sister left the party very content and with a new view of what “Christian’s” are like. We sure know how to have a good time with out alcohol being involved!!!

No comments: