Living Life...

Living Life...

Monday, October 22, 2007

Just another day in paradise... I mean Argentina!

I thought I would take some time to share with you some of the things that go on here that I don’t usually share. So often you guys here about the good times in my life, the work that God is doing. The challenges I face and overcome. But not often do I share the day to day things that I have to deal with. Sure I can makes things look ‘perfect’ but the truth is, it’s not always so. The day I am going to describe to you happened to be my ONE day off during the week; my day to rest and relax and be energized to face the demands of non-stop youth ministry. One thing I should state first is that I threw out my back last Saturday afternoon and could barely walk last Monday when all this took place.

Lets see… Monday October 15th started out like any other day. I spent most of the morning (12:00 am until about 5:00 am) wide awake in bed. I had a conflict with a friend and was not able to sleep even though I was exhausted. (Thankfully we have now worked things out). I was not in the best of moods when people started showing up at the house around 9:00 am. Since it was my day off, I chose to stay in my room, but the pounding of the door every 20 minutes and the house full of youth kept me from sleeping. So, I started the day on 4 hours of sleep and no desire to be with anyone. But one can not always fulfill their desires so I had to eventually come out of my room and visit with the guests. After lunch everyone left and I finally had the house to myself. I was ready for a day relaxing in bed and enjoying the peace and quiet. I was able to spend about an hour or two reading a really good missionary book before getting up to shower for the day since a couple girls were going to come over to study the Bible in the afternoon. After the shower I was drying off the bathroom floor and noticed that there was water close to the door. The water NEVER gets that far from shower so I was rather shocked to see my pijamas that were on the floor were completely soaked. I was a bit concerned because it had been raining and if there was a leak in the roof we would have to contact the owner who is not the nicest person. I fallow the water trail into my roommate, Soledad’s, bedroom and realize that half the floor is soaking wet. I continued the trail into Carolina’s room and the WHOLE floor was covered in water… and since their mother had stayed the night there was a mattress and sleeping back on the floor that was absolutely drenched. I started looking where it could have possibly entered since it was not coming from the ceiling… one of the windows is slightly broken but the curtains weren’t wet. I opened the door to an outdoor patio and came to realize that it was completely flooded and the water had entered from under the door. As it turns out the drainage system was clogged so all the water entered the house. I bent down to pick up a book that was wet on the floor and felt my back twinge in pain so I decided to leave everything there and call for help. Unfortunately when I picked up the phone to make the phone call it was completely dead, we had NO phone service. Thankfully I have a cell phone though and was able to send him a text message. About 20 minutes later my friend arrives and cleans up the mess. As he filling buckets with water, Soledad shows up with a group of friends and they want me to sit and visit with them. Of course I stayed with my friend until he left and then joined them for a bit. They left and Caro arrives minutes later with a group of youth (remember this was supposed to be my quiet, relaxing day off?). (Side note… a couple days before one of the girls asked me if she could move in with us… I didn’t know how to respond even though I didn’t think it was the best idea so I told her I needed to talk to the girls first.) So, not realizing that the girl was in the house, I went to go talk to Carolina… All I said was that, “So, you heard about the question she had for me.” I was completely horrified to realize that she had overheard what I said, even though it wasn’t anything bad. So while Carolina showered I played hostess and served them all tea and crackers, I tried to find a way to make the girl feel comfortable. Finally Carolina joins the group and I am able to escape and check my email… though within minutes Caro yells for me to come quickly. I go and check out the problem only to find out that the dining room / kitchen area was full of maggots. Hundreds of disgusting little maggots moving all around and hiding under anything they could find. One of the guys starts sweeping out the house, but I knew that unless we found the root of the problem we would never get rid of the little creatures. As it turns out, we collect the scraps of food for the family’s dogs. There was a bag of old food that someone had put outside on the patio and due to the rain the little maggots decided to enter the house for cover. I went to look for the bag and half the food was outside of the bag due to the rain. I knew that I had to put on gloves and clean up the mess or deal with the maggots in my house all night long. Of course, I used not just the gloves, but a plastic bag as well. The smell was so horrible that I almost puked, but had to continue scooping up this food with maggots trying not to think about what I am touching. Thankfully it was dark and I couldn’t see what I touched. Of course I have to do this squatting down close to the smell because my back won’t allow me to move much. I get it all cleaned up and the garbage out front to be picked up by the lucky garbage men. At that moment I decided that my day was over and all I wanted to do was sit in bed and watch movies. I didn’t even have an appetite to eat because of the thought of the maggots. So the girls go and rent movies and they appeared to be good ones but as it turns out they were pretty horrible. After watching part of the second one, we just turned off the movies and the girls went to bed. Although I was exhausted I ended the day wide awake until about 5:00 once again; knowing that my day would start at 9:30 am leading a Bible study with one of the guys.

I’m not sure if I want to have another day off. Though today has been pretty calm… as I was writing out this update for you, we had an earthquake. Who knows what will happen next Monday…

No comments: