Living Life...

Living Life...

Thursday, February 29, 2024

February 2024 – Insanely Busy at Work and at Home...!

February was probably one of my busiest months of the year so far… mid-January my last student finally started attending school and by February he was coming every day.  It has been a joy having him, but it did change the dynamics in our room.  Also, Krystal started working on her student teaching at the elementary school and was out on Wednesdays… thankfully she got a consistent sub for the time she was out.  February is also the beginning of testing month and this year I had 20 students to test for the WIDA and 4 students to test for the WA-Aim which is one of the requirements for graduation.  Testing takes a lot of time and organization to happen especially with our crazy schedule at TOP. I did my best to not hold students back from their job sites and catch them when it was most convenient for them.  In the midst of the testing, I also made time to visit all four of the high Schools to meet incoming students.  This is part of the job that I LOVE.  I love connecting with the high schools and making sure we get to know the students before they come up to us, so we make sure we have the support in place for them ahead of time.

Life at home was just as busy as it was at work.  The first weekend, I had Mason and Lily come over while their parents enjoyed a weekend away.  Thankfully they are pretty self-sufficient and other than cooking and making sure they are not driving each other crazy they can keep busy on their own these days.  Mason spent some time cleaning up the swing area and then practiced his guitar on the swing outside.  I love these days of sun even if they are still a little chilly.  Of course, they had a blast coming to church with me on Sunday. We got to spend time with Chris and Sarah during the week by trying out a new Mexicuban restaurant with them.  The food was delicious and the company was a lot of fun. 



A boy and his guitar... 


Yummy Mexican-Cuban food...


The following Saturday, Matthew and I attended a meeting about leading small Groups through our church.  Our small group has been taking a break, so we contemplated starting a group at our house.  After praying about it we decided to wait until the fall kick off of groups so we could get the house back in order. It was just too much with the house renovation going on.  I’m excited for what God has in store for us in the future as we open up our house to serve him in this way.

Of course, Super Bowl Sunday we spent at my sister’s house.  The Chiefs were in it again, so Kim had to host a party for Keb.  It was going to be the last time they were in town for the game, so we opted to go their house for the party. It was crazy to see how empty the house was as they prepare for their move to Texas… I think I am in denial about the move, but I know it is going to happen sooner than I expect. The party was a lot of fun and the food did not disappoint. Of course, Keb was over the moon excited that his team won two years in a row. 

Go Chiefs!

Just some of the food... 

You either love him or hate him... 

Love me some Reba


Posing with Matthew... front row seats... 


Keb enjoying the game... 

A little stressed with the tie at the end of the 4th quarter... 

Happy they won... 

Touch down in overtime... 



Not sure who celebrated more... the Chiefs or Keb?


Seeing who won the contest... 


Keb was very happy after the game... 


Matthew decided to head out of town the following weekend and visit a friend in Oregan which gave me uninterrupted time to work.  I was able to get a ton of work done preparing the house for the remodel.  It is a huge job packing up the entire house while working at the same time.  My friend Brooke came over one afternoon to help out a bit. I had various piles of items… some to throw away, some to sell, and I also took a huge load of items to the Goodwill. Of course, I had to learn how to use the online selling apps since I’ve never done them before.  I started off selling only the bigger items and a couple smaller ones I thought were valuable. 

My Friend Brook... helping me out!

Cleaned out the office area... so much room now!

Cleaned out the spare bedroom... 

To top it all off, I started writing my commentary for Component Two of the National Boards.  It took me forever to figure out what student I was going to use for this section, but once I decided what to do, the writing started flowing.  That is one blessing of being a writer! I got a good chunk written during the weekend between working on the house.  It was a good mix of physical and mental labor.  I also took advantage of Matthew being gone and cooking up some fish meals from Hello Fresh.  I decided to order a few meals that were just for me and make them when he was eating his chicken and potatoes but not having him home made it even easier since I just had to cook one meal. 😊

Those who know me.. know I write while watching movies... 



Yummy fish for dinner.. 


The following weekend I ended up taking Matthew into the ER.  We were afraid he had a bowel blockage again.  He was in a lot more pain than normal.  I could tell the doctor was also concerned by how quickly they were doing the studies.  Thankfully, the results came back that he did not have a blockage, but he was backed up and it was preventing him from urinating.  They ended up putting in a catheter and he made a record for the amount of pee they collected.  They decided to leave in the catheter until his appointment with his regular doctor, but for some reason his doctor didn’t want to take it out… instead he referred him to urology down the hall.  When we went to talk to them, they also refused to take it out and said he needed to schedule an appointment with his urologist who was booked out a month. After a couple days of suffering, we finally figured out how to get Home Health out to the house and they were able to remove the catheter.  Unfortunately, by then it was too late… Home Health came back a couple days later to diagnose him with an infection which took a couple rounds of antibiotics and about a month to recover from. We learned from that situation not to let the ER leave in a catheter unless absolutely necessary.

Thankfully, part of this time his former PA was in town and staying with us, so I was able to get advice from her and she was able to keep an eye on Matthew so I could go to work.  During the two-week period Matthew had 11 medical appointments, if you include the ER/Home health visits.  It was a bit insane and not how I expected to finish off the already busy month. One day my boss looked at me and asked me why I was at work… I told her I needed to get the testing done since I had to take days off for the appointments coming up.  To be honest, it is only by the grace of God that I survived February with my sanity in place. 

Waiting in the ER with Matthew

Back to snow... pretty but COLD!

No comments: