Living Life...

Living Life...

Sunday, January 1, 2023

Last Minute trip to Leavenworth…Happy New Year!

Matthew and I are known for making last minute plans so it was not too surprising that on December 30th when we called Mariah to find out if they were doing anything for New Years Eve (so I knew if I needed to buy anything when I ran out to the store) that an hour later we had a trip book to Leavenworth for the weekend.

I wanted to make Matthew could make the most of the weekend, so I packed everything in the morning and didn’t get him up until just before it was time for us to leave.  He didn’t sleep well that night so even just a little bit in the morning was important.

Lio decided to join us in the truck instead of being crammed in-between his parents for the drive.  It was a quiet drive as he slept the majority of it… waking up long enough to eat lunch.  Of course, German had a different experience with three girls in the back seat though I’m pretty sure Mariah took a nap too. 

Ready for the next adventure... 

Little man fast asleep

We made good time to our hotel… which was in Wenatchee since we decided last minute, and prices were extravagant for what was left in Leavenworth.  We unloaded everything at the hotel and got settled in and then headed over to Leavenworth for the evening. 

The kids enjoyed playing in the snow while we walked around and enjoyed the town.  I love looking at the lights and just how quaint the town it.  Of course, the company was a blast as well. There is never a dull moment with the Sand Family. After dinner, we decided to pick up snacks and head back to the hotel to ring in the new year since we found out most of the town was going to be quiet anyways and the party was going to be wherever we were anyways.  


Matthew needs a ride...

Lio and his snowman

Walking into town... 

The girls... 

Wine by the fire... 

Mariah and German




Love the lights of Leavenworth... 


"He's dead" again

German Sausage for dinner... 





Sibling love


The kids enjoyed having time to go swimming coming to Matthew and my room for snacks and a game.  We then all partook in the Spanish tradition of eating 12 grapes (1 for good luck each month of the upcoming year) with their exchange student.  The channel we were watching didn’t have an official count down, so we ended up cramming most of the grapes into our mouth at the last minute before toasting one another.  

Some of the snacks... 

The boys...

Playing games and getting ready for midnight...


Spain - 12 Grapes for New Years
&
American Toasting


Ringing in the New Year with Matthew!!!


I was the only one that woke up in time to eat breakfast at the hotel before we all started packing up to check out.  It was disappointing to see how many people at the hotel were yelling at the kitchen staff because the food was running out and not being cooked as quickly as they wanted it. I made sure to thank them for all their hard work and they just apologized over and over.  How sad that their year started out feeling as if they needed to apologize to someone thanking them. 

After loading up we found a quaint diner for breakfast/lunch.  Once again, the diner was busy, and the staff were hopping from table to table, and it was sad to see how quick people were to get mad at them.  We made sure to thank them for doing such a great job and serving us so graciously. 

Hotel breakfast
vs
Diner Food


After lunch we decided to head back to Leavenworth for a bit.  We walked around town for awhile while the kids played in the snow some more.  Matthew of course was in a lot of pain, so we decided to bail out early and head home. Part of the way home the pain got to him, and he decided that it was safe enough for me to drive so I took over and drove the rest of the way while he slept.  I praise God that he kept us safe and made sure there was no snow on the roads so that I could drive.    

Walking the dogs... I kept my distance of course!

Picture with the sign... 

 

This was the perfect way to end my winter break and start the new year.  I love spontaneous trips with Matthew, and it was a lot of fun having the Sand’s come with us.  I am looking forward to whatever 2023 holds.  May God bless the New Year!!!

No comments: