Holiness: The Heart God Purifies
By Nancy Leigh
DeMoss
Quotes & Summary in White – My thoughts in Red
Chapter 8 – The Passion for Holiness
From the outset, his
ministry in Oradea was characterized by an emphasis on prayer. Church members were encouraged to pray for
the salvation of the unbelieving friends, relatives and colleagues. However, this pastor’s burden was not simply
for those outside the church. He was
convinced that the revival for which he had been longing and praying for all
these years must begin in the church. He
explained to his people that unbelievers weren’t the only ones who needed to
repent. Unapologetically, he stressed
the need for the “repenters” to repent.
Lord, may
I put an emphasis on prayer in my own life.
May I truly understand the importance of praying. Of my own need to repent of my sins and turn
from them. Of the need to pray for
others so they can find healing. Of the
need to pray for unbelievers so they can know the Savior. Lord, convict me in this area. May prayer be like oxygen in my life…
something I cannot live without.
Not content to deal
in generalities, he was straightforward in pointing out what he viewed as
habitual sins among the “repenters”—issues he believed were hindering the
church from experiencing true revival.
In our age of moral ambiguity that asserts every person’s right to
determine what is right for himself, many will struggle with the stance this
pastor took in his church.
For example, he
confronted his people about stealing from the state. The government had confiscated and
collectivized the farms and factories, forcing the people to turn over to the
government the fruit of their labors.
The people had felt justified in keeping back from their “own” farms and
factories a share of what they believed rightly belonged to them. The pastor preached that this was wrong and
led them to take a vow not to “steal” from the government.
Another issue
related to the use of alcoholic beverages.. drinking was an accepted part of
the culture, even among believers. The
pastor believed that drinking alcohol led to sin, and he challenged the
believers to take a vow of total abstinence.
Many contemporary
evangelicals would be uncomfortable categorizing these particular practices as
sin. “While there may be room for
discussion, the point is that the “repenters” repented—they began to take
holiness seriously; they turned from everything they believed was displeasing
to God. When they did, God sent revival.
How
serious do I take holiness? Am I willing
to turn away from EVERYTHING I believe is displeasing to God or do I justify
the little things that I kn ow are not right?
Lord, forgive me for justifying my actions so often… for using the
excuse that I’m a sinner instead of making the decision to turn from my sins.
Help me to take holiness seriously, so that I can walk closely with You… even
if the “church” doesn’t view it as a sin may I take it to you and judge it by
Your standard of holiness.
In many of our
churches, we’re knocking ourselves out trying to be “relevant” so we can
attract new members. We don’t want to
appear to be different, extreme, or too spiritual, for fear of turning off
unbelievers.
We have accommodated
to the work rather than calling the world to accommodate to Christ. When will we realize that the world is not
impressed with a religious version of itself? Our greatest effectiveness is not
to be found in being like the world, it is to be found in being distinct from
the world, in being like Jesus.
Lord, in
what ways have I tried to be like the world instead of being like Jesus? In what ways have I allowed my passion for
Jesus to dim because I didn’t want to be ridiculed by others? The world doesn’t
need a “worldy” Christian… they need one that is following after God and
pointing them to the Savior. One that is
living the life God called them to live… Lord, may I be a living example of
Jesus to the world. May I love well,
serve well, be humble, forgive well, be full of joy, stand up for the weak…
The absence of
revival in evangelicalism today certainly does not reflect a lack of activity
and opportunities. We have more
Christian concerts, conferences, programs, strategies, media events, books,
tapes, magazines, and radio/TV ministries than any generation in history. In fact, we have more prayer gatherings and
more events and resources geared toward “spiritual awakening” than ever But
something is missing.
“Lots of people are
praying, and lots of people are repenting, but so few are changing their
lifestyle.” The fact is, if people are not changing their lifestyle, they’re
not repenting.
Wow, how
true is this statement… we have so much… especially here in the United
States. We have access to so many
amazing Biblical teachers, Bibles, concerts, conferences, books, sermons
online, etc. But we need more than
that. It is more than just doing my
Bible study every morning and checking it off my “to do list”. Unless my life is being changed… it is
meaningless. Am I allowing the Holy
Spirit to change me from the inside out? Am I different today than I was last
week? Lord… I want to be changed… I want
to be growing in You. I want to repent
and turn from my sins.
How important is
holiness to you? How much thought,
attention, and effort do you devote to the pursuit of holiness? Are you intentional about putting away
everything that is displeasing to God and living a holy life? Is it your
priority—your mission—to be holy?
Wow… I
have re-read this for the last few days, wishing I could answer the question
differently. There was a time in my life that I could say that holiness was
extremely important to me, and I devoted a lot of time and effort to its
pursuit… but I cannot say the same thing today.
I can say that I desire to get back to that previous time in my life…
where my day wasn’t consumed with what I was going to watch on TV but how much
time I had to spend in the Word of God… where I took the time to devote to my
walk with the Lord with passion and made it my top priority every day.
How important is
your children’s holiness to you? Does
their sin drive you to your knees? Does it cause you to plead with God to give
your children a heart for righteousness and to plead with them to repent?
When Shane
lived with me, his holiness was very important… I spent countless hours in
prayer for him… pleading with God. I
desired for Shane to know and love God and to turn from his ways. It was a burden I carried deeply, and I
walked 40-60 miles a week and spent most of that time in prayer. I had a lot of insomnia and spend most of
that time in prayer. I pleaded with
God. When Shane left us, my heart was
broken in two. I still pleaded with God
and spent a lot of time in prayer for him.
I prayed daily for reconciliation with him, and that God would heal his
heart and draw him back to Him. As time
went on, I continued to pray for Shane… whenever God brings him to mind. I
still desire for his holiness and for God to bring about healing in his
life. Even if we never have reconciliation
with him, I pray that God would heal his heart and draw him back to
himself. My heart still hurts for him
because I know how much he is hurting, and I wish I could take away the pain
and point him to the ultimate healer.
How concerned are
you about the holiness of the body of Christ? Does it grieve you:
v
When
Christians are unloving and unforgiving?
Yes, it does. It tore at my own heart when I struggled with
forgiving those who hurt me deeply. I
know that God has called us to love others. He has also commanded us to
forgive.
v
When
they are gossips and gluttons?
This should grieve me
more than it does. I waver back and
forth. I also struggle with it in my own
life on occasion. There are times when I am grieved with it… there are other
times in which I fall into it’s trap and it does not grieve me as it should.
v
When
they have more interest in possessions and pleasure than in spiritual riches
and pleasing God?
This is another area in
which it should grieve me more than it does. There are times in which I
struggle with people (myself included) seeking out possessions and pleasure of
the world… there are other times in which I am oblivious to the fact that it is
even happening.
v
When
they dishonor their parents and divorce their mates?
Yes, it grieves my
heart when there is division in the family unit… no matter what the cause. Even if the divorce is justified and
necessary it is painful and has lasting effects… I imagine this is why it
grieves God’s heart so much. He knows
the suffering that takes place because of a divorce. He doesn’t want this for
anyone, but the world is so full of sin and brokenness. The situation with Shane has grieved my heart
more than anything. The broken relationship between parents and children is
devastating… regardless of the cause.
v
When
they are self-absorbed and self-promoting?
Yes, it grieves my
heart when people are self-absorbed and self-promoting… focused completely on
themselves and put others down to build themselves up. God has given me a heart
for people, and I have a difficult time seeing others humiliated, because one
person feels the need to be built up.
v
When
they are cantankerous and contentious?
This is another area in
which I waver on how much it grieves me.
I do hate conflict with a passion but at the same time I know that I am
not always positive and find myself in a bad mood and arguing with others.
v
When
they use profanity and pornography?
Yes, I have never been
a fan of profanity… especially taking the Lord’s Name in vane… it cuts me to my
core. Pornography also grieves me… but I
think I have been softened to some forms of it since it is all over in the
movies. I still turn my head away but I
should turn the show off when it is full of profanity and pornography.
v
When
they can sin glibly and without blushing?
Yes, it grieves me that people can
sin, recognize what they are doing is a sin and have no remorse for it. I know
that sin, but my own sin also breaks my heart… I can’t do it without feeling
guilty and wishing I could stop.
What would happen in
our day if “repenters” were to repent?
What if believers were to get honest about their sin and serious about
pursuing holiness? Might we not once again experience the manifest presence of
God in our churches? Might we not see God supernaturally convert multitudes of
lost sinners to faith in Christ?
That would
be amazing. Lord, may you bring us to a
place that we recognize the sin in our own lives and repent of it. I don’t want to just recognize the sins, but
to turn away from it and pursue holiness. I want to pursue the things that
bring You glory. I want to experience
Your presence in my life, in my church, in my small group, in my family, in my
relationships. I want to see lost people come to You. May I be able to participate in the lost
coming to know You in some way.
If plumbing or
septic problems caused raw sewage to overflow into the hallways and aisles of
your church, one thing is for sure: The problem would not be ignored. Everyone would be horrified.
The fact is that
something far more serious than raw sewage is running through the lives of
countless professing Christians and most of our evangelical churches. And by and large, we are oblivious to the
threat. The floodgates of
unholiness—including willful, presumptuous, blatant sin—have opened within the
church. Adultery, drunkenness, abuse, profanity, outbursts of temper, divorce,
pornography, immodest dress—such sins among professing believers, often members
in good standing of respected local churches, are no longer rare exceptions.
And then there are the more “respectable” forms of sewage that are often
overlooked and tolerated among believers—things such as overspending, unpaid
debts, gluttony, gossip, greed, covetousness, bitterness, pride, critical
spirits, backbiting, temporal values, self-centeredness, and broken
relationships. Sadly, the church—the
place that is intended to showcase the glory and holiness of God—has become a
safe place to sin.
Wow, when
you look at sin in this light, as sewage, which in the eyes of God it is… it
has a completely different appearance.
We don’t want to think about our own sins as sewage… we want to glaze
over them as if they are not that bad (it was only a little white lie… or I was
only getting it off my chest when talking badly about someone else). Sin,
regardless of how perverse it is, is a disgrace to God. It is not something that we should
ignore. It should grieve our hearts and
bring us to our knees. Lord, if I have
any “blatant” sins or even any “respectable” sins please open my eyes to them…
may they grieve my heart. I want to turn from them. Help me to walk away from gossip and look for
ways to restore relationships. Help me
to forgive those who heart me and not allow them pain to make me bitter. Help me to not be critical towards others but
shower them with the grace I want from others.
Lord, there are so many areas I am prone to fall short. May the church be a place I can come to and
confess my sins and be lifted up because I am seeking You and seeking
accountability… not a place that it is safe to sin and not be called out for
it.
Why are we
experiencing such an epidemic of open—and not-so-open—sin in the church today?
High on the list of reasons would have to be the fact that for more than a generation,
the evangelical church, by and large, has abandoned preaching on sin and
holiness.
We have tiptoed
around Old and New Testament passages that proclaim the holiness of God, His
hatred of sin, and His wrath and judgment against unrepentant sinners,
preferring to consider only references to His mercy, grace, and love… If only
we were as loath to commit sin as we are to confront it!
Lord, may
I be more concerned about the sins of the world than I am about how the world views
me because of my view on sin. I don’t
want to win the approval of man by accepting their sins. I also, don’t want to be their judge when it
is not my place. May I learn the balance
between holding the church accountable and not judging others. May I view sin with the right view… something
you hate… something I need to turn from and repent of so I can receive your
mercy, grace, and love. Help me to loath
sin and do everything I can to not commit it.
Have we been lulled to
sleep by a watered-down, compromised version of “Christianity”?
He never got accustomed
to sin, even when everyone around him had become desensitized… The law of God
was written in his heart. And the love for God compelled him to care when that
law was disregarded.
Undoubtedly, this
change of affairs did not take place overnight. More likely, one compromise led
to another and another. … A spirit of tolerance became exalted over a love for
Truth.
His love for holiness
is seen in his commitment to personal integrity—even in tne “little things”.
And it is seen in his boldness in dealing with the sins of others.
Have I been
lulled to sleep by a watered-down, compromised version of “Christianity”? Am I desensitized to sin or am I more like
Nehemiah…? Does sin, my own and the sins
of others, bring me to my knees? Am I
compelled by my love for God to confront the sins in my own life and bring them
to the cross? Am I compelled by my love
for God to stand up for what is right and speak boldly about the sins in the
lives of my loved ones so they too can turn back to Jesus?
Satan
knows that the way to sin doesn’t happen overnight… He leads us down a path in
which we make one small compromise, then another, then another… until we are in
a place we no longer recognize. Lord, I
don’t want a spirit of tolerance. I want
Your Spirit to burn in me and open my eyes to the sins in my life. I want to be
so filled with the truth that I can’t help but turn from my sins. I want to live like Nehemiah and have a deep
commitment for personal integrity, even in the “little things”. I want to be bold in speaking truth into the
lives of others and leading them to a life of holiness.
The parallels
between the story of Nehemiah and the church in our day are striking. Lots of people who call themselves believers
are churning out a lot of religious activity, but we have rewritten the law of
God and we have prostituted the grace of God, turning it into a license to sin.
The spirit of tolerance has triumphed over the spirit of Truth. Lust, greed, materialism, anger, selfishness,
pride, sensuality, divorce, deceit, ungodly entertainment, worldly
philosophies—little by little, we’ve let down our guard, cultivated a
relationship with these sworn enemies of God, welcomed them into our churches,
and even given them a home there.
Beyond that, we’ve
worked so hard to make lost and backslidden people feel comfortable in our
churches that there is little conviction of sin, little life transformation,
and little manifestation of the presence of God, who simply won’t make Himself
at home in an unholy place. I’m not suggesting that we try to alienate
unbelievers in our churches. I am saying that sinners ought to be uncomfortable
in the presence of a holy God. And that they will never be truly converted
until they have experienced the conviction of God’s Spirit.
Lord, forgive
me for allowing tolerance to rule over the Spirit of Truth. For allowing sins to creep into my own life
and not thinking twice when they entered into the lives of those in the
church. Help me to remove them one by
one and to stand up for your Holy ways. Forgive
me for the areas of lust I have in my life, for my focus on money which has led
to greed and materialism. Forgive me for
my anger and bitterness. Forgive me for
my selfishness and pride; always putting myself first above others. Forgive
me for the ways I have been deceitful… the little white lies. Forgive me for
the ungodly entertainment I have watched without conviction. Lord, there are so many other areas in which
I have allowed sin to creep in and be at home in my life. Help me to turn from it and seek to live a
life that pleases You alone. I want to feel the conviction of sin in my own
life.
Lord, may
we understand that You are a Holy God and cannot be in the presence of sin. May
this understanding lead us to living Holy lives and encouraging others to do
the same. I don’t want to point out the
sins of others in a prideful way but so they too can come into Your presence. Give
me a deep love for the lost and for those who are walking away from You so I
can draw them back into Your loving presence. May I be willing to be bold and
speak truth into their life.
Where are the men
and women who love God supremely and who fear nothing and no one but God? Where
are the saints who live like saints—whose lives are above reproach in every
matter—in their homes, their work, their speech, their habits, their attitudes,
their finances, and their relationships?
Where are the believers whose eyes are filled with tears, whose hearts
ache when they see an unholy church partying and entertaining herself to death,
and whose knees are sore from pleading with God to grant the gift of repentance? Where are the Christian leaders with the
compassion and the courage to call the church to be clean before God? The church is waiting for the world to get
right with God. When will we realize
that the world is waiting for the church to get right with God? It is time for the “repenters” to repent.
Lord, I want
to be one of Your people who fear nothing and no one but You. I want to live above
reproach in every area in my life… in my home, at work, in how I speak to
others, in my habits, in my attitude, in my finances, in my relationships, and
more. Any area that is unclean help me
to bring it to the cross, repent of it and turn from those sins.
Lord, I want
to grieve alongside of You over the church living in sin… over my own sins. I want my life to be so consumed with You that
I am constantly brought to my knees in praying for others so they may know You
or come back to You. Lord, I lift up Pastor
Justin and Ryan… give them boldness in preaching the truth and guiding
Generational Hope to be clean before You.
I pray that surrounding churches would be bold in preaching Your truth. There is so much sin inside the church today
and we need bold preachers to call us out on it. How can we expect to be a light to the lost
world if we are living in the same manner they are? Lord, may our lives reflect Your glory so
they can see You and be drawn to Your presence.
No comments:
Post a Comment