Living Life...

Living Life...

Thursday, October 28, 2021

Holiness: The Heart God Purifies - Chapter 4 – The Face of Holiness

 


Holiness:  The Heart God Purifies

By Nancy Leigh DeMoss

 

Quotes & Summary in White – My thoughts in Red

 

Chapter 4 – The Face of Holiness

I hated myself; I hated my sin… I felt that there was nothing I so much desired in this world (as holiness), nothing I so much needed.  But so far from in any measure attaining it, the more I pursued and strove after it, the more it eluded my grasp; till hope itself almost died… (J. Hudson Taylor)

I prayed, agonized, fasted, stove, made resolutions, read the Word more diligently… but all was without effect. Every day, almost every hour, the consciousness of sin oppressed me. (J. Hudson Taylor)

Do I have this same desire for holiness?  Do I desire it more than anything else in the world? Do I recognize my need for it?  While I don’t think God wants us to hate ourselves, He does want us to desire Holiness and recognize our need for it… because He is a Holy God… He also wants us to realize that we cannot obtain it on our own… when we try to pursue it in our own strength… we will feel like a failure… for our Holiness comes from Christ… It is the gift He gave us when He died on the cross for our sins.  Yes… God does desire for us to pray, fast, read His word… but He wants us to do it out of love and because of our relationship with Him… not to “earn” anything from Him… He is the one making us righteous… He is the one that gave us the ability to be Holy…

 In the fall of 1869, Hudson Taylor found himself at a crisis point.  The pressure of circumstances had been building up for months.  He had experienced a bout with serious illness, the unbearably hot climate, the stresses associated with overseeing a large and growing ministry, endless demands on his time, and extensive travel under primitive conditions in the interior of China.  He found himself with frayed nerves, irritable, prone to harshness, and unable to live the life of holiness he so longed to exhibit. 

While my circumstances may not be the exact same as Hudson Taylor’s… I can understand where he is coming from… the pressure of circumstances in my life look different but they are still very much real and unbearable… continually fighting with L&I, Matthew’s multiple health issues, my own migraines, stresses of teaching (especially teaching online), endless demands on my time, loss of a loved one… and so much more… everything can add up and if I’m not careful I can live in my human nature and be irritable, bitter, depressed, and prone to harshness… We all have our own trials… life is not easy and God never said it would be… in fact we are facing a spiritual battle here on earth and believers will face more spiritual warfare than we can imagine… that is why we need to keep an eternal focus at all times.

“Abiding, not striving nor struggling; looking off unto Him; trusting Him for present power; trusting Him for to subdue all inward corruption; resting in the love of an almighty Saviour; … this is not new, and yet ‘tis new to me.  I feel as though the first dawning of a glorious day had risen upon me.”  (John McCarthy)

What is the key?  Abiding in Jesus… too often we strive to be holy instead of abiding in the one who makes us holy.  We struggle with our sins because we are not drawing near to the One who cleans our slate and makes us new.  We try do things on our own instead of trusting in His power.  We try to be perfect instead of resting in the love of our almighty Savior…  I know that this is area that I too need to work on.  Lord, help me to draw near to You each day and rest in You… I can not do it on my own. 

Jesus can keep you and me from sinning. And when we do sin, it is He who will cleanse and pardon us.  Through the Cross of Christ, God has made provision for every sin we could possibly commit.  His grace is infinitely more powerful than any sinful bondage.

Our salvation and our ability to not sin comes from Christ alone.  He is the One who pardons us and cleanses us from our sins.  He is the One that gives us the strength to turn away from our sins and to be free from the bondage of sin.  When we try to do it on our own, we only fall defeated and discouraged.  We need to remain focused on His grace and power…

As we look upon Him, we are changed into His image.  At the moment, our ability to behold the Savior is limited, because we are in these finite bodies and still have to contend with our corrupt flesh.  But one day, totally freed from sin, we will be able to see Christ clearly, as He is.  Seeing Him, we will adore Him fully and will be drawn to become like Him.  In that moment, our transformation into His likeness will be complete.

The longing of my heart—and the longing of every follower of Christ—is to be like Him.  That transformation is not something we can produce on our own, apart from the power of His indwelling Holy Spirit.  The Lord Jesus invites you to cease your striving, to come to Him, and to find rest for your soul.  As you meditate on His magnificence and follow in His footsteps, He will bring about in you a marvelous transformation that will be completed when you finally see Him face-to-face. 

Spending time with Jesus changes us… I want to spend time in the Word, not because it saves me but because it is the only way I will become more like my Savior… I may not understand everything here on earth… because I am trapped in my finite body but one day, I will be able to see clearly and rejoice fully and what a day that will be.  Until then I will relish in the moments of joy that I have with the Lord… the moments I feel close to Him and feel His presence here on earth.

As we look at the jumbled pieces of our lives, sometimes it’s hard to fathom that they could ever form anything attractive.  God has given us a picture that shows what we will look like when He has finished His sanctifying, transforming work in our lives.  It’s a picture of Jesus.  He is the pattern for our lives.  We need to be constantly reminded what the finished product is supposed to look like.  That’s why it’s vital that we keep looking at the picture throughout the assembly process.

Just as we need to see the finished product of a puzzle while we are working on it… being able to see Jesus helps us to complete the process of Sanctification.  He is the finished product and as we keep our gaze on Him and constantly look to Him, He will do the amazing transforming work in us… He will sit next to us and work on the “puzzle” with us.  We are not expected to do it alone… but we have to sit at the table with Him and be a part of the process.

Jesus is holiness with a face.  To be holy is to be like Him.  Let’s take a closer look at this portrait of holiness in human flesh.  As we do, ask yourself how your life compares to Jesus in each of these traits.  The answer will help you identify where you are in the process of becoming holy. 

·         His relationship with His Father

o   He lived a life of total dependence on His Father.

o   He was fully surrendered to the will of His Father.

o   He lived to please God rather than men.

I think I struggle with depending completely on God.  I want to be secure here on earth and so I work hard to find a little bit of that security instead of trusting God to provide everything for me… even though I know and have seen Him provide even when I have had nothing in the past… Lord, help me to depend on You even now when I have a job that pays more… help me to surrender completely to Your will… help my focus to be on what pleases You and not mankind.  May I live a life that glorifies You in all I do and say. 

 ·         His values and priorities

o   His supreme motivation was to glorify God.

o   He exalted the eternal over the temporal.

While I do desire to glorify God, I don’t think I can say that it is my supreme motivation… I have so many other things fighting for my attention.  All too often I am motivated by what I can get out of a situation… or earthly benefits (money, praise, etc.). Lord, help turn my focus to the eternal things… things that really matter and away from the earthly, temporal things that just waste my time.  Help me to focus on glorifying You each and every day… doing things that bring praise to Your Name. 

 ·         His relationship with others

o   He was selfless and put other ahead of Himself

o   He was available to those who needed Him, even when they interrupted Him at inconvenient times.

o   He was submissive to human authorities.

o   He was merciful and extended forgiveness to those who wronged Him.

Relationships can be messy… yet Jesus lived out a perfect example on how to love others and put them first always… Jesus served unconditionally… even when He was tired or frustrated with their lack of understanding.   There are times I do a really good job at serving others… it really depends on my energy level… we hear a lot about the importance of self-care, and we can spend so much time taking care of ourselves that we never spend any time serving others.  I work in a job where I serve others all day long… and then I come home and serve Matthew.  Do I do it perfectly? NO!  But I try… and when I fail, I try again.  Jesus is the one who gives me strength when I want to give up at times. I also submit to human authorities… I may not do it with the best attitude, and I should work on that, but I am a rule follower by nature.  Mercy and forgiveness to those who have wronged me is something I have been working on a lot lately.  It is easy to forgive the little things… but I struggled with the deeper hurts for a long time.  I am doing better at it… perfect? No, but better. 

 ·         His words

o   He spoke only the words His Father told Him to speak.

o   He always spoke the Truth.

o   He spoke gracious words that ministered to the needs of the hearers

Lord, I know that I often fail in how I use my words.  Forgive me… forgive me when I use my words to hurt others, when I use my words to spread gossip, when I use my words to tear down instead of build-up.  Help me to keep a tight rain on my tongue.  Help me to speak truth but to do so in love.  Help me to use my words to minister to the needs of others.  May my words be a blessings to others. 

 ·         His character

o   He lived a life of praise and thankfulness.

o   He was bold when people needed to be confronted with wrongdoing; He was courageous when the will of God required Him to do something difficult.

o   He was not competitive or jealous.

Lord, I too desire to live a life of praise and thankfulness… I know that it is not as easy to do so during the trials… that is why I come to You and seek Your strength… fill me up and give me strength during this time at work when it is stressful, and we are understaffed… may I find reasons to be thankful.  May I be bold when I need to be, yet graceful at the same time.  I know that many others are struggling as well so help me to see that and believe the best in others.  May I recognize that people want the best… May I be just as courageous for You as I am for my students.  May I love others well.  May I not be vindictive or competitive with others but seek ways to love and support them.  Lord, I want to live like You do… like the example You left behind.

o   He was filled with the Holy Spirit and manifested the fruit of the Spirit at all times:

Lord, I want to be so filled with the Holy Spirit that He overflows from my life… I want His characters to flow out of me… I want His fruit to be evident in my life at all times… If I can do it at a fraction of what You did Jesus than I would be doing it better than I do now. 

·         Love – He loved God will all His heart.  He loved others selflessly and sacrificially.

Lord, I go back in forth in this area… there are times that I am on fire for God… that He is constantly on my mind, and I can’t wait for when I can spend time with Him again… and then there are times when I am distant and cold towards Him… forgive me for those times and draw me back into a loving relationship.  I want to love others better as well.  There are people in my life that I love selflessly and sacrificially (to a point…) but how often would I do the same for an enemy.  There is so much work that needs to be done in my heart in this area.  Lord, only You can transform me. 

·         Joy – He was full of joy in the Lord.  His joy was independent of circumstances, because He trusted God’s sovereign control in all things.

Once again this is an area that I go back and forth in… I have endured some difficult trials… and through them there have been times that I have remained joyful… I didn’t let the circumstances steal the hope that I have in the Lord… but there have also been trials that have knocked me down and left me in a dark hole.  Did I know God was in control?  Yes, but I wasn’t living in that truth, I was living in the moment… letting the pain and hurt overwhelm me.  Joy during the trials is supernatural and only found in You, Lord. 

·         Peace – He was calm and peaceful in the midst of storms, in the press of the crowd, and when facing the cross. 

Peace… I am more apt to have peace in the storms than joy… but just like all the other qualities I am not perfect in this area either.  There are times when I let worry get the better of me.  I think I have grown in this area because all of the trials I have endured… I know that God was with me through them all… He has not once left alone.  It has given me strength to endure the future trials as they come.  I may not enjoy them (or be joyful) but I can trust that He will get me through them.

·         Patience – He was long-suffering; He willingly endured adverse circumstances as well as injuries inflicted by others.

I learned long ago not to pray for patience… because the only way to grow in patience is through the trials… let me tell you, I have grown in patience.  I am more patient today than I was 10 years ago.  Perfect, no… but I am learning to wait in the Lord’s timing.  I am learning to endure the trials… by looking to Christ in the midst of them. 

·         Kindness – He demonstrated genuine concern for others.

Lord, I know that there is always room for growth in every area.  Overall, kindess is a character of the Holy Spirit that flows through me… especially to people who have not treated me badly… they don’t necessarily have had to do something for me as long as they have done something to “hurt me”.  I am less kind to those who have hurt me, so I have room for growth.  I feel like I do have compassion for others… ever since I was a child, I have always looked out for the underdog… I stood up for people being bullied, I spent time with peers with disabilities on the playground… it is something God has put on my heart…

·         Goodness – His inner moral excellence manifested itself in active good works toward others.

So many “religions” have a scale to determine if your “good” works outweigh your “bad” deeds… but that is not what this is all about.  I am not to do good works to earn my way to heaven but as a manifestation of the Holy Spirit within me.  When I am allowing Him complete access to my life then good works will naturally follow… when I am focused on myself, sin is more apt to follow.  Lord, may my life reflect good works towards others so You can be glorified in me.

·         Faithfulness – He was utterly trustworthy and always true to the will of God.

Lord, I wish I could say I was always trustworthy and true to Your will… I know I have failed so many times… but I’m not going to give up and stop trying… when I fail, please pick me back up and help me to get back on the right path.  I want to walk closely with You and live-in obedience to what You are asking of me. 

·         Meekness – He endured misunderstanding and abuse without retaliating. 

Lord, I have not always been meek… many times I have tried to defend myself… especially when attacked with false claims… in my head I have so many responses ready to go… whether I verbalize them or not.  Help me to trust You and not need to prove myself to others… knowing that Your glory is more important than my own… I don’t need to be right in the eyes of others… I can’t let it go.  It is so hard to turn the other cheek when I am attacked but that is the example that You left behind for us.  May I follow in that example so that You are glorified. 

·         Self-control – He was temperate; His natural passions and appetites were always under the control of the Holy Spirit.

Lord, I wish I could say that all my natural passions and appetites were always under control of the Holy Spirit… but I know that so often I fail and fall into the temptations… I cave to my own desires.  I constantly need you to pick me back up, cleanse me and help me to start over again on the right path.   

The call to holiness is a call to follow Christ.  A pursuit of holiness that is not Christ-centered will soon be reduced to moralism, pharisaical self-righteousness, and futile self-effort.  Only by fixing our eyes and our hope on Christ can we experience that authentic, warm, inviting holiness that He alone can produce in us. 

When we try to be holy on our own, we will fail every time… I don’t want to live like the pharisees… bound to rules so that I appear “holy” on the outside but knowing that inside I am a mess.  I want to live in a deep relationship with Christ… and allow Him to make the necessary changes in my life… to clean me from the inside out. I want His holiness to shine through me…

No amount of striving or self-effort can make us holy.  Only Christ can do that.  As we turn our eyes upon Him, we will find Him to be our “priceless treasure, source of purest pleasure.”  We will begin to desire Him- His beauty, His righteousness—more than we desire the sparkling enticements this world has to offer.  And we will be transformed into His likeness. 

Lord, I want to desire You more than anything else… I want all the other enticements to fade away into the background so that You can become my only desire once again. I have lived with that intimacy before and I want it back. 

No comments: