Living Life...

Living Life...

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Visiting the National Parks..!

On Sunday, we drove up to the area of the Craters of the Moon National Park but since we were going to stay two nights in the area, we decided to visit the park the next morning to avoid the heat.  I had found a free campground in the area called Honey’s Dry Dusty Bumpy Barely Level Free Campground.  The website was absolutely hilarious so I knew we had to stay here… plus how can you beat a free campground with electricity and Wi-Fi included?  We met Scar, the host… aka owner… and then settled in for the afternoon.  Once it cooled down, we went back and hung out with Scar and one of the other campers who was traveling the USA visiting all the National Parks and Monuments.  It was an enjoyable evening and I loved how patriotic Scar was… he even plays the National Anthem at sunset every day and does the Pledge of Allegiance in the morning.  

Checking into Honey's Campground... 

All set up... it was a peaceful location... 

Quiet time with a view... 

Pictures around the campground... 




Scar and Matthew

Watching the sunset... 

National Anthem... even the kids playing in the parking lot stopped!

What a sight... 

On Monday, we got up and headed back to Craters of the Moon National Park. It was very interesting to see the terrain with all the craters, caves, and lava pits.  Matthew did one of the trails with me but then it was too hot for him and too much work to get the chair out so he would park and let me get out and go take my pictures.  I love seeing the beauty of God’s creation… from waterfalls, to mountains, to even craters that were formed from lava so many years ago.  We then went back to Honey’s camp and relaxed for the afternoon.  Matthew and I watched a show together and then I did my Bible study and worked on my blog while he took a nap.  In the evening we hung out with the other campers. It is always fun to find out what people are doing and why they are out and about traveling.  


Highlights from Craters of the Moon... 














Cooking dinner in the trailer... 


Another beautiful sunset... 

On Tuesday, Matthew got up and had coffee with Scar.  We had a relaxing morning before heading off to our next campsite.  Our next destination was a campground near Yellowstone.  It was an easy drive over to Island Park, Idaho where I was able to score two nights just outside of Yellowstone for $10 a night.  The campground was perfect (except we didn’t have an electric site since I booked it a month before we left).  After setting up camp, we headed out in look of food for dinner since neither one of us were interested in cooking.  We found a beautiful restaurant right on the river.  After dinner, we headed back to camp to settle in for an early night.

Checking out the river... 

All set up at the campground... 



Enjoying dinner on the river... 



More views from the river by our campsite... 



Wednesday morning started off bright and early.  We woke up around 4:00am and got everything ready to head into Yellowstone.  We pulled into Yellowstone around 5:30am… the gates were open but there were not a ton of vehicles yet.  Last minute, I decided to head in the direction Old Faithful since I figured it would be a lot busier later in the day.  We stopped at all the main attractions, and I was able to take beautiful pictures as the sun was rising.  The plan to arrive early in the morning was perfect… we didn’t have any crowds until late into the day.  Part way through the day Matthew’s colostomy bag exploded and we forgot to bring a change of clothes so he ended up staying in the truck and stopping so I could get out and take pictures at the various sites.  One thing I love about Matthew is how much he loves me and is willing to sacrifice his own comfort to make sure that I enjoy my day.  Just as we left the park around 1:00pm, the predicted storm came through and it started raining.  Even amidst the trials Matthew endured today, God had blessed us today. 

Heading into Wyoming... (Yellowstone National Park)

Checking out the Midway Geyser Basin...

Excelsior Geyser... 

Grand Prismatic Spring


I didn't want to sit around and wait for Old Faithful 
since we were trying to race the crowds... 


After using the restroom... we came back out... 

and Old Faithful gave us a show..!


Views from West Thumb Geyser Basin




Not sure why it is called Black Pool... 


Yellowstone Lake... loved the views along the drive..!


Views from the "Fishing Bridge"



Where you can't fish from... 

Rapids on the river... 

We finally saw a Buffalo... 

Matthew enjoying the views from the truck... 

Baby Buffalo... 

Blocking part of the road... 

Dragon's Mouth Spring... 

Checking out the Mud Volcano

I was fascinated by all the beauty... 

Pictures from the Norris Geyser Basin area... 




Gibbon Falls... Last stop before leaving Yellowstone!



Enjoying the beauty on the drive out..!

After Matthew showered and got clean clothes, we headed out to a local restaurant and picked up pizza and chicken wings for lunch/dinner.  We brought everything back to the trailer and then had a relaxing evening back at camp.  Before heading to bed, I prepared the trailer for traveling and we hooked it up to the truck so that when we got up, we would be ready to head out.

No comments: