Graduation this year
was full of mixed emotions… it was a busy year for graduation between my
students who were graduating, D-group girls graduating, and my own
graduation. My emotions wavered between excitement,
anticipation, joy, sadness, exhaustion, and grief.
As many of you know…
I process my feelings through writing… and this is the first time I have sat
down to write my feelings about everything I experienced during this time
period… so bear with me as the emotions may overwhelm me again.
On June 7th,
the day of my student’s graduation from TOP, I found out that one of my
graduating seniors was in the hospital.
Jacenya was medically fragile and our goal for her had always been to
make it to graduation… but this year she was doing so much better, so it wasn’t
as much of a concern… so when she didn’t come to school that morning we were
all in shock. Immediately, I started
talking to the other teachers about what our back up plan would be to honor her
at graduation. Around 2:30, I found out
that she was on comfort care and would not make it out of the hospital. Her para-educator and I immediately left to
go visit her and her family at the hospital for a couple hours and got
permission to come back graduation with some of the other staff members.
While it was my honor
to share about Jacenya at graduation… it was also probably one of the hardest
things I have ever had to do… Jacenya was such a bright spot in our classroom
and always brought joy to those around her… I knew that she wouldn’t want her
memory to bring sorrow to graduation… so I wanted to honor her without the
students knowing she was going to die… which meant that I could not cry. After graduation, 15 or so of us went back to
the hospital to celebrate Jacenya’s graduation with her family… she even opened
her eyes one last time to see one of her crushes. It was a bittersweet moment as we all said
goodbye to Jacenya for the last time. It
is so hard to lose a life at such a young age… but her memory will be forever
engraved in my heart… about an hour after leaving the hospital I got a text
message that she had passed away. I let
a few staff members know at work since I had the next day off and would not be
there to let everyone know.
The next day, I had
to pull it together for my own graduation.
Thankfully I had the day off to grieve in the morning and then shove my
emotions aside before heading over to Ellensburg. Of course, I let my professor know about
Jacenya just in case I lost it during the ceremony. Matthew and my parents went with me to watch
me be hooded and celebrate my graduation.
Picture in front of the Wild Cat
Parents came to support me...
Matthew was my biggest support these last two years..!
Masters in Special Education..!
Special Education Cohort (Not shown was the literacy side)
View from my family... they had front row seats behind the graduates...
Presenting my name...
Being hooded
By Dr. Castillo...
My Favorite Professor...
Celebrating my success...
Receiving my "diploma"
Formal Graduation Picture
I did it..!
My Special Education Professors
Selfie with Dr Castillo
Thanks for you support Matthew..!
Graduation ended up
being a lot of fun. I was able to spend
the time talking to my professor while we waited. I do wish that I had completed my project before
walking but am glad I didn’t have to wait until next summer to walk. After the ceremony, we went out to a Mexican
restaurant for dinner and then headed home.
I thought the arms of the robe were weird...
Dinner out with my parents...
Graduation Dinner..!














1 comment:
Kristen, we are so very proud of you for persevering through all the challenges you have faced. God has been shaping you into a woman of strong character and convictions, and you honor Him with your life and your love and care for so many others. You are a blessing. Congratulations on earning your Masters degree! Looking forward to seeing the next chapters of your life unfold as you continue to serve. Love you. -- Robbi & Dave
Post a Comment