Living Life...

Living Life...

Friday, June 22, 2018

Finishing the School Year...!

Life was super busy my last few weeks of school… I took the opportunity to join the class on their last few Friday outings… I even changed things up and we went to more exciting places such as the Woodland Park Zoo, IKEA, and Coulon Park.  I am looking forward to doing more outings like this with my class next year. 

Of course, after graduation things were a blur.  We spend the first week planning and preparing for Jacenya’s memorial service… mourning her loss and just trying to get through the day.  Everyone pulled together and did whatever they could to help the family out.  We even pulled out the button maker and made a ton of buttons with her picture for the occasion.  Andy made a video of all the pictures we had of Jacenya and ones from the family.  The service was a special time for the staff and family. 

Outing to Kidd Valley

View at Coulon Park

James got his licence on his birthday and came to visit..!


During this time Matthew and I started going on walks again since his new wheelchair finally arrived.  Many may still have questions about why he is using a wheelchair… over the last year he has been falling a lot more.  We don’t know why but for some reason his legs will give out on him.  They are doing tests to try to figure out the cause but for the time being, I wanted him to be safe.  The wheelchair has been a blessing because now he can go on walks with me and I don’t have to worry about him falling all the time. 

Our First Walk... 

Walking on Soos Creek Trail... 

I love his new chair... 


My last week of school was insane.  On Monday, I ended up taking Matthew to the ER with chest pain.  Thankfully the EKG came back normal and his heart was healthy… but the fear returned when they said they were doing a CT scan to check for a pulmonary embolism.  Thankfully, that was not the case, but he was diagnosed with pneumonia and diabetes.  His blood sugar levels were through the roof (712 and A1C of 15.9).  Needless to say, he spent five days in the hospital on antibiotics and insulin to try to lower his blood sugar levels. 

I only slept two hours on Monday night before going into work… so I was very thankful I completed the last of my IEP paperwork on Monday and all I had left to do was clean up my classroom.  It was nice knowing Matthew was well cared for while I finished up my last few days of work.  The best part about watching the busses drive away this year was knowing that next year I won’t be studying at the same time as I am working.  Now I just have to finish my master project and I will be DONE…!

My next goal will be to learn as much as I can about diabetes to help Matthew keep his numbers down... never a dull moment in our lives.  

No comments: