My home away from home - The Hospital..!
June was probably one
of the toughest months yet. On June 1st
Matthew went in for surgery and spent almost a week in the hospital
recovering. I thought all was good when
we got home… but that was not the case.
On Monday morning (2
am) less than a week later we were back at the ER… where he was diagnosed with
a blockage in his small intestine. He
was transferred to a hospital in Tacoma so he could be closer to his surgeon. The next day the on-call surgeon informed us
that surgery would be life threatening so he wanted to wait and see if things
would pass on their own.
I spent the week
going back and forth between the hospital and work… praying that Matthew would
get better on his own and that surgery would not be necessary. His surgeon was on vacation until Friday but
when he got back on Friday he informed us that if Matthew was not better by Monday
he was going to have to go back in and operate.
Imagine what was
going through my mind… he was now at a point that surgery was needed but
surgery was also life threatening. I was
scared… more scared than I was before any of his other surgeries. Matthew was at a point that he didn’t think
he would survive if the doctor had to operate on Monday. I spent all weekend at the hospital with
Matthew praying for a miracle… I sent messages to friends and family asking
them to pray… he had people praying all the way in Argentina for a miracle… and
that is what he got. I think one of the
hardest parts was knowing that if Matthew died he would never have the
opportunity to see Shane again. Life is
so fragile and we don’t know when our last day may be… I just pray that Shane
will want to talk to us again before it is too late.
On Saturday, another
on-call doctor said she had an idea but that he would feel sicker than a dog
and wish he was dead… but it could work.
He was willing to take a chance if it meant he could avoid surgery. She was right… he felt horrible… he spent
most of the day in bed not even opening his eyes but by that evening his system
started functioning again… praise God…! I
on the other hand used all my nervous energy to get way ahead on my homework
for summer quarter since my classes started that weekend. Instead of going in for surgery on Monday he
was released from the hospital to recover at home.
No comments:
Post a Comment