We headed out early
on July 20th… meeting up at the airport for a time of prayer and
farewells with family. It was a joyous
time as we were all excited to finally start on this adventure. The flight to California was uneventful and
we arrived quickly. I loved watching the
youth interact at the airport as we waited for the drivers to go pick up our
vans. Our first stop in California was
lunch at Inn N Out.
All Aboard...
Interacting at the airport...
Weston in heaven... he chose the lunch stop.
We arrived to The
Master’s College before any of the other churches. Unfortunately one of the driving groups broke
down and was delayed by hours. Since we
had time to kill and it was super hot outside we opted to make a trip to
Walmart for any last minute items.
The Master's College...
Ready to shop...
I was super proud of
our students who were instantly ready to help unload vehicles once they finally
arrived. It didn’t matter that none of
the stuff belonged to our group they were always willing to serve. Weston and I
were finally able to get the keys to our rooms so we distributed them to the
group and then headed out for a late dinner at a local Mexican restaurant.
Serving as a team...
Yummy Mexican Food...
Erica showing off her tacos...
We made it back to
the college just in time for our first evening session. It was a great way to start with worship and
a message from Tim Vincent about Jesus being the one who saves us. He got us thinking about why we chose to come
on Serve… and what purpose Jesus may have for us being here.
Ready for some worship...
Unfortunately I didn’t
get any homework done on Wednesday so I knew that I would have to miss out on
the Thursday outing. Of course, I couldn’t
tell the students since it was still a surprise. All they knew was that they were supposed to
wear their team shirt for a group picture. The students were then broken up
into random groups with members from other churches. It was a blast seeing the shock on their face
when they found out that they were going to Magic Mountain.
Serve 2016 - Team Photo
Breakfast of champions..
Weston giving a lesson on making coffee...
Meeting up as a group...
Guess what.... you're going to...
Magic Mountain... with strangers..!
Thankfully, I was
back at the school today as I found out last night that there were
complications for my conditional certificate to become a certified
teacher. My parents were able to print
off the form that I needed and fill out my personal information on it so they
could scan it and email it back to me. I
was then able to send off the form to Central and get it to the right hands so
they could fill it out and return it to OSPI (office in charge of issuing
certificates). It was just another
obstacle that God was able to help me jump through..!
Homework and Snacks...
I finished all the homework that I had hoped to before the team returned and so I joined back up with them for dinner and another worship session
Ice Cream - A favorite after a hot day..!
Friday morning we
woke up early for a yummy breakfast and then met up as a group to receive our
team devotional. I loved having a time
dedicated to being able to get into the Word.
Mitch gave a message on who we are and how our identity is found in
Christ alone. The quote that stood out
to me is that I will never be more fulfilled than I am when I live my life as God
intended me to live it.
I LOVED breakfast time...
Of course... ice cream was a favorite at every meal...
Youth leading youth in worship... love it..!
Today was our only
full day in California for training so we met back up and went over conflict
resolution as a large group, our own individual conflict resolution styles,
talking about it in our family groups and finally as a church group.
Tim leading the conflict resolution session...
Individual study on conflict resolution styles...
After lunch we met
back up for another worship and message session. Wendy gave a message on how
God equips us… how often times God can use gifts that we consider “ordinary” to
do great things. Also, God uses the
situations we are in, even the miserable ones, for a purpose…
We then had a couple
hours of free time. I was going to take
a nap and had finally laid down when I decided to check my college site… to
find out that my teacher uploaded the rest of my assignments. I quickly got up and started working on
homework again. I worked straight
through until dinner… ate quickly and then took my computer to the chapel to
continue working as long as I could. I
even took notes on my computer as I worked on homework.
Jon Wimmer gave a
message on how Jesus sends us out just as He was sent. He challenged us to be the messengers that
God created us to be… to take out the message, Jesus, to the world and to
worship God which is what we were created to do. We then had an extended time of worship and
reflection. What a time of worship it
was… it even sparked an unplanned extended worship time.
We sure ate good...
Welcoming the Holy Spirit to join us...
True Unhindered Worship...
God started working on my heart...
This picture still makes me tear up...
I loved experiencing this trip with my brother and Abby...!
Another touching moment for me... love my girls..!
We met up as a church
group afterwards and talked about what God was teaching us as we embark on this
adventure. Before heading off to bed we
encouraged the youth to pack up as much as possible in case we had to evacuate
the college. We could see the fire off
in the distance and found out that it was not contained at all… so it was
better to be prepared. I did have the opportunity to talk to Matthew on the phone as I watched the flames of the fire...
The fire we saw from the college... a little scary..!


No comments:
Post a Comment