Living Life...

Living Life...

Monday, January 18, 2016

Camas Meadows Weekend Getaway

It doesn’t matter how old one gets… going away for a weekend retreat always draws me closer to God… especially when we get out in His creation.  One of my favorite retreats when I was a youth was Camas Meadows and I still love it as an adult.
 
Camas is a lot of fun for so many reasons… I love watching the youth draw closer together as they have fun together.  While I may not be a fan of group games… they are still great ways for the youth to interact and play together… to break out of their normal friendship groups and get to know other people.  The talent show is another favorite group activity as they get to let down their guard and be silly or share an actual talent that they have with the group. 

Of course there is lots of free time where they can connect and draw closer whether it be playing outside in the snow… the annual Camas Bowl (football in the snow of course) taking on the challenge of the tubing hill… or just hanging out inside playing games, coloring or visiting.  New friendships are built and I am a huge advocate of newcomers going to Camas just to get to know the other youth and connect with them quicker than they ever could on a Sunday morning.  

Some of my D-Group girls ready for Camas... 

Group Games in the field.. 


Camas Bowl... 

Ginger and I patrolling the tubing hill together... 


This year we added a few extra special activities… to change it up a bit. We had our typical “hike to inspiration point” on Saturday night.  We added a twist to this hike by having a camp fire with smores for them to enjoy.  It was pretty awesome to have a campfire in the snow… and even more so at such a beautiful place.  Those of who stayed tell the end enjoyed a time of worship…. I think the only thing that would have made this experience better is if we had taken a moment of silence to get our hearts right and then all enjoyed the time of worship together and had the smores at the end… but there is always next year. 

On Sunday we took an excursion to Leavenworth which was a first for many of the youth.  We had a couple hours to walk around town, eat some good food like fudge, wander into the local stores and just enjoy an afternoon in small groups.  

Inspiration Point


Leavenworth with Matthew... 



Of course the two things I love about Camas the most are: building relationships with others and time in the Word.  As a leader I love connecting with the youth… being able to really talk about what is going on in their lives.. and even just watching them connect with one another.  This year I had the added blessing of getting to know Susan better as we would stay up late into the night after lights out talking.  I am so excited to be able to serve alongside of Weston and Susan… they bring so much to our group and I can see us become close friends throughout the years to come.  

Weston and Susan... 



I love all three of the formats we have for connecting with God… from our morning personal quiet times… to the worship and message times throughout the day and especially the cabin group times in the evenings.  There is sooo much that we learned but I think the river analogy was by far the most impacting. 

The River – Where are you?

1) On the Shore – Around but never committed their life to Jesus.

2) Ankle Deep – Saved by grace but not growing (Excited for a moment but it quickly fades and gets old and boring)

3) Knee Deep – Feel God at work every once in awhile but not consistently.

4) Waist Deep – Feel the presence of God but still scared to let go of control.

5) Deep Waters – You have given up all control to God… letting the current (God) take you wherever He wants to. 

We were encouraged not only to go into deeper waters but to bring those around us into the deeper waters too.  It is so much easier when we do it together… Lord, help me to jump in and be an example to the youth.  I pray that over this next year we can grow in You and together enjoy the deep waters and plans you have for us.  


No comments: