Years ago when I was fundraising for my trip to Argentina I
used to take lots of walks. While I
walked I would pray and seek God’s direction and wisdom. It was during these walks that I would
question if this was really the path that God had me on… fundraising was always
a challenge as it was the one part of the preparation that I had no control
over… all I could do was ask and wait for God’s provision. God confirmed that I was on the right path and
that He would provide for all my needs through something small that most people
overlook. I saw a penny on the ground
and I picked it up. Most people just
walk by a penny on the ground but I stopped and picked it up. You may be wondering how a penny could be
confirmation from God… it was because of four little words “In God We Trust”.
God was reminding that He can provide for all my needs no
matter how great they may seem. He has
proven Himself faithful throughout the years.
I could trust in Him. One of my
favorite verses has always been Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the Lord with all
your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will
make your paths straight”.
Trusting has not always been easy for me. I have always had difficulties trusting
people… often times people fail. They
don’t live up to my expectations or they do something deliberately that breaks
my trust of them. God has done a lot of
work in my life in the area of trust but I still struggle on occasion.
Although people have
not been trustworthy one thing I can say for sure is that God has always been
trustworthy and yet I still struggle trusting Him. Why that is I am not sure… But in His grace
He constantly reminds me that He is trustworthy. Every time I see a coin I am reminded that I
can trust Him and believe me throughout the year I have picked up many coins
and thought of this truth.
God has always proven Himself trustworthy by being faithful
to His promise to provide for our needs when we seek His Kingdom and His
righteousness. At times He also provides
us with things we don’t need because He enjoys to bless His children. My plan was to return to Argentina and I was
content with all God had given me and yet He blessed me with even more and
provided me with a husband and a son.
I have never been wealthy in the eyes of the world and yet
though out the years God has provided me with what I needed at just the right
moment. I love looking back on my life
and seeing how much God has provided at just the right minute.
One incident that I remember clearly is that when I was in
high school I used to do child care for single mothers who didn't have much
money. I would watch the children for
really cheap and often times they still couldn't even afford to pay me. One of the ladies had me tally up my hours
and told me should would get me the money when she could afford to. Eventually her son grew up and she didn't need my services and I went on with my life… I didn't think about the money
because I knew that God had placed me in her life at just the right moment to
serve her. It was years later when I was
a poor college student that she came to me one day and wrote a check for all
the hours I had worked. God had provided
for my financial needs at just the right moment.
I could mention many stories like that one in which God
provided in unexpected ways. God has
proven Himself faithful to Matthew and me this past year. When we were doing marriage counseling we had
to make up a budget to go over with our pastor.
He laughed at our budget and told us there was no way we could make it
on a budget that low… of course our response was we couldn't budget more money
than what we had coming in. Our income
was really low and therefore we had to spend our money wisely.
Matthew and I prayed
about it and decided that I shouldn't work but focus on finishing my last year
of college. It was what was best for our
family since many times I was taking a double load of school and adjusting to
being a wife and a mother but it was also a difficult decision since it meant
we had to trust God to provide for all our needs especially when I income went
down even lower than expected (and for a couple months we didn't receive a
paycheck). BUT God has been faithfully
providing month after month, day after day.
It is amazing to look back on the past year and see the
different ways in how God provided. We received
money from unexpected sources just about every month. Of course, all the gift cards we received from
our wedding were a huge help as it provided Matthew and I with random dates
throughout the years. One day I received
a check in the mail from a lawsuit they did on illegal overseas credit card charges. Another time I got a check from Multicare
saying they overcharged me the year before and I had a credit in my
account. I was able to get gift cards
from all the money I had spent on my credit cards throughout the years. Right in time for Christmas and winter
electric bills we were given a month off of rent from our landlords. Just in time for major expenses on my car we
got a check back from our tax return.
I could go on and on describing how God has provided in unexpected
random ways… but in all that we have had to be faithful in how we spent what
God gave us. We didn't really have any
extra money just enough to get through each month so we've really learned to
communicate and spend our money wisely.
We also knew the importance of giving back to God through tithing at
church and even took on the challenge our Pastor gave the congregation to
increase it. We have learned the truth
in seeking first God’s kingdom and watching how He does provide for all our
needs.
So, next time you see a coin... pick it up and remember that
we can trust in God. He is faithful to
provide what we need at just the right moment.
I am content… I am content knowing that God will continue to be faithful
no matter what our circumstances… and I am content knowing that today is the
day that He has provided me with a job… of course it isn't one in which I will
make lots of money but it is enough to meet our needs for today. Thank you Father..!
No comments:
Post a Comment