Living Life...

Living Life...

Thursday, August 23, 2012

August – Trusting in the Lord

This past month has been one in which the Lord has tested our family in many ways.  Matthew ended up with a serious infection that landed him in the hospital on June 23rd after being in absolute pain for a couple days.  It was the worst infection I have seen him have and included blisters on his hand.  A week into the stay they decided to do an MRI on his hand and the following day they took him in for surgery to clean out his hand since the infection had turned into an abscess.  For most people this would have been a simple procedure but for Matthew it was excruciating. 

Thankfully I was able to stay at the hospital with Matthew part of the time as my parents picked up Shane and took him home on Saturday.  After church on Sunday he was able to spend a couple days with his cousins before going off to Junior High camp.  My goal was to keep him as busy as possible so that he wouldn’t have to worry about his father. 

The hospital stay ended up being 10 days long and was pretty stressful as I watched him in extreme pain most of the time.  He was finally released on Wednesday August 1st in the afternoon so we had a couple days at home to relax before heading over to my parents.  Of course, Matthew spent the whole time in bed recovering from his surgery. 

We decided to post pone our anniversary until Matthew was feeling better.  It is hard to believe that we have already been married a year.  So much has happened in this year; both things to rejoice over such as graduating and difficulties to endure such as watching Matthew suffer and dealing with L&I.  One thing we know is that God is walking with us down this path.  We have had to rely on Him a lot lately.  One thing that has been a huge encouragement to me is my quiet times.  At the hospital I would go down into the garden and just read my Bible.  Thankfully I was reading the Psalms which always bring me comfort.  I could quote many verses that God used to touch my heart. 

Matthew’s infection didn’t seem to clear up even after he finished his antibiotics so on the 16th we ended up taking Matthew back to the hospital.  Once again I was able to spend the weekend with him as Shane went to stay with his grandma.  It was nice to be able to spend the time with him even though we did a lot of lying around.   One thing I have been making an effort at is going on a daily walk to de-stress and stay healthy.  Unfortunately with everything that is going on I am getting insomnia again.  This usually comes on when I am stressed to my limits or facing spiritual warfare.  I think this time around it is a little bit of both.

He’s already been in the hospital 16 days within the month and we don’t know how much longer he will be there.  The longer Matthew has been in the hospital the more that I miss him.  Even though I spend hours with him a day it is hard to have him stuck in the hospital while I come home.  I’ve enjoyed having this time with Shane but my bed feels mighty empty at night time.  I know that God is in control and that He will get us through this time.  It appears that Matthew is going back in for surgery in the morning and then hopefully the infection will be cleared up enough that he can be released from the hospital.  Most importantly I would like for him to be completely healed and back to normal.  There is nothing worse than watching someone you love suffer and not be able to do anything about it. I am tired... but I know God is carrying me. 



My quiet time spot...

I love the sound of running water... 

This is the one thing I'll miss about the hospital...

Spending time in the Word is my ONLY strength..!

View from the 4th floor...


No comments: