Living Life...

Living Life...

Sunday, September 16, 2007

God at work...

In this midst of the difficult times, I have been able to see God at work here in Catamarca. My house has continued to be a place where girls can stop by and be encouraged and refreshed. I have had the opportunity to talk with some of the girls about important issues, such as relationships with guys and even more important their relationship with God. Also, I continue to do various studies with some of the girls. I have been able to encourage one of the girls in particular (Maria) to start reading the Bible on a daily basis and we get together quite regular to talk about what we are learning and do a study on God, Our Father. It is these times that with the girls that I am reminded about what I am doing here in Catamarca and gives me the strength to continue on through the difficult times.

We were also able to visit the Children’s Hospital once again as the aunt (Mirta) of one of the youth works their as a ‘social worker’. This time we were allowed to go to various rooms and meet the families of the children. Thank you to those of you who donated baby clothes and blankets. Some of the families here are so poor that they don’t have money to buy warm clothing and this has been a harsh winter. Before we were able to visit the hospital with the clothing we were told that one family left the hospital because their baby was starting to do better, but went home to a house that had no protection from the cold weather; it had no heat, and very little food. Within days the situation worsened and the baby did not make it. It is hard to see the reality of how some people live. I praise God that we able to provide for those in need. The best part is working along side Mirta we were able to locate the families who were truly in need.

A couple of the youth are working alongside of the government and taking leadership training. Through this, we have been invited to help out in various neighborhoods. One activity that we were able to do as a group was prepare various spectaculars for the day of the children. I was unable to attend the first one do to my health, but from what I hear it was a great success and many children showed up and heard the gospel. I was involved with various stages of the planning process for the second activity. The lady who is in charge of the ‘neighborhood’ is Mormon. She invited us to come to her house so we could take a look at the area where we would be working. We also were able to take some time to pray within her house for her family. The day was full of activities as we prepared games for the children of different age groups, a band played songs for children, and a group from the church did a presentation. The government provided hot chocolate and pastries for all the children as well as bikes and other gifts to be raffled. This neighborhood is quite far from the center and quite humble. I enjoyed watching the youth work together to pull of this event. From those who helped plan it to those who helped serve the food.

Another exciting thing that has happened is God is answering prayer requests from months ago. I sent out an email a couple months ago asking for prayer for a family that was going through a difficult time. I don’t recall giving much details but the wife attempted suicide after finding out that her husband had cheated on her and wanted to leave the house. The children were devastated and couldn’t understand what was going on. During this time I have been meeting with the wife on a weekly basis and praying constantly, especially after the suicide of the other lady. Things had gotten worse and she didn’t want help anymore. In a weekend, God changed EVERYTHING. He broke open the heart of her husband, who in front of the whole churched asked forgiveness of his children and his wife. He was able to share his testimony and ask for prayer from the congregation. I don’t think I could describe the joy I felt this night as tears ran down my face. This couple has changed so much in the past two weeks and I am excited for what God is going to do in their marriage, their family, and their lives. Please continue to be in prayer for them and their family. Their names are Abel y Julieta.

No comments: