Another thing that happened in March
is that my grandmother passed away. With everything that was going on, I did
not have time to process it until later. I was very thankful that my Aunt gave
me a heads up that she was not doing well, and I was able to go and visit her
recently. My last visit with my Grandma was a good one… she actually talked to
me and was in a pleasant mood.
It is crazy to think that my last Grandparent
has passed away. God blessed me with a close family. I remember getting
together with all my relatives growing up. Holidays spent together… family reunions…
my Grandma coming over every winter because she hated driving in the snow so my
Dad would drive her to work. Time passes
us by so quickly and before we know it the generations before have left us and
we become the “older” generation.
We had the memorial for my Grandma in April.
Thankfully, my parents were able to fly back for it. With my Dad’s surgery we did
not know if they would make it back. They flew in the night before… and thankfully
Jeremy stopped by our house that night to visit and was willing to go pick them
up since Matthew and I were both exhausted.
The memorial was the first time my mom’s
side of the family has gotten together in forever. It was great to see all my
cousins… I just wish it was for a different reason. My Uncle did the graveyard
ceremony which was very nice. Afterwards we had lunch and shared stories about
my grandma… from her raising her kids to us grandkids.
One of my favorite memories from the
memorial is when we were talking about the nicknames that Grandma had for
everyone. Of course, I don’t always have the greatest memory, so I didn’t know what
my nickname was… I was like, all I remember her calling me was “Little Sh*t”…
low and behold… I found out that WAS my nickname… and all this time I thought
she called everyone that. I guess I was just the special one… after all it was
her favorite word…
Two days after the memorial for my Grandma…
we had the memorial for Jim (Mariah’s Dad). Two memorials in one week is not
easy. It makes for a very emotional week. We started out just going to their house
every 4th of July but then Matthew got very close to Jim and would often
go to his house to play cribbage with him during the week. It was an honor for
him that he was asked to lead the opening prayer for the reception after the military
honors service.
The day after Jim’s memorial… I found
out that Timothy James Meaney had passed away. He was a local musician from my youth…
that came to all of our winter retreats. We loved having him spend the weekend
with us… leading us in worship… and living life with us. Three deaths so close reminded me how fragile
life is… we never know when our last breath will be. I am thankful that I know
where I am going when it all ends… and pray that my friends and family have the
same assurance that I do. I don’t know how people do it without the hope in
Jesus that I have. My faith is what has gotten me through all the trials I have
endured in life… He is life, He is my Joy, my Hope, my Reason for living.

















No comments:
Post a Comment