Living Life...

Living Life...

Sunday, June 30, 2024

June 2024 – Finishing up the School Year...!

The end of the school year was different than any we have had in the past. Right before graduation, there was a court order in Washington State that school districts have to educate students with disabilities until they are 22 years old.  We scrambled to figure out what this would mean for our students that were graduating but there was no direction from OSPI or the state, so we proceeded with graduation as normal.  Graduation was amazing like normal as we celebrated the accomplishment of all our students.  After the graduation ceremony, we contacted all the families to inform them that their student would be able to return until their 22nd birthday.  I then offered to help Sue get their IEPs re-activated over the summer so they would be active before school started the following school year. Thankfully school was out a lot earlier this year than normal, because I spent the first few weeks scheduling meetings, writing IEPs, and having meetings with families.  I ended up doing 9 IEPs in just a few weeks and have another 1-2 to complete later in the summer. 

Flowers from a student at graduation...


Matthew got into a new hobby with a friend from church. They started taking care of bees and put together multiple bee hives.  We ended up with two hives at our house and they have a variety of other houses and locations where they have more hives.  It has brought him a lot of joy working with the bees and spending time with Tim.  I have loved watching their friendship blossom and seeing the joy it brings Matthew.  He now has a bee suit for when he goes to take care of the bees. 

Love seeing that smile... a boy and his bees!

My Dad found this rock on his walk and picked it up for Matthew...

It was added to my Mom's rock collection..!


One night Matthew and I were lying in bed, and he asked me what I thought about having our friend Cooper’s daughter Alyssa and almost three-year-old twins move in with us when the remodel was completed.  We talked about it, prayed about it, and decided that God was laying it on our hearts to let her come stay with us.  She is family to us, and we love her and Amelia and Christopher to pieces. Of course, we had to let her know that she had to wait until the house was done because it was too dangerous for the kids with all the construction work going on. They did stop by and visit on occasion, and we blocked off the areas where they couldn’t go.  I told Matthew later one night, that God placed it on my heart a long time ago that when I had a house, I would use it to house a single lady with kids… I just didn’t know who, when, or what it would look like. I find it amazing that we finally have our own place again and God has given me the answer to this calling. 

Christopher and Amelia trapped in our room... 


Two of my nieces graduated this year (Mayra and Aliya).  Living so far away from Mayra, I was not able to attend her party, but I did send money back for her when Jeremy came into town to drive Keb to Texas.  Aliya on the other hand, I was able to go to her graduation party and visit a lot of people I have not seen in quite awhile since we no longer go to Faith. I even found out that Kaylee is the BSBA consultant for one of my new students and how excited his mother is that I am working with him. It is always nice to hear from outside sources that a family is pleased with what I am doing for their student. I absolutely love my job.  What is even more exciting is that I was able to convince Aliya to apply for a job as a para at TOP. I have no doubts that she will get a job there. 

Catching up with Naomi... 

Love that girl!


Cooper was finally able to come over to the house and see the progress.  Matthew decided to pick him up and have him stay the night in the trailer.  He loved seeing all that we are doing… so much so that it must have worn him out 😉I know that all the work is exhausting to my parents and I.  My parents have been helping out so much (more to come) and I appreciate it more than I tell them.  German has also been working his tail end off… of course, we usually end the day watching soccer, especially when it is an Argentina game.  I’ve enjoyed having him around for the Copa America since no one else watches sports with me usually. 

Matthew surprised me and SHAVED..!

Working hard..!

I'm exhausted... preparing the room for the remodel... 

My Mom is tired too (I wasn't supposed to post this picture!)

Dinner and Soccer w/German

He better hurry or he'll miss the game... 

Watching Argentina's game... 

As well as the Canada vs Chile game!


I was shocked when we got an email that the union had a tentative agreement, and we were going to have a meeting to vote on the contract.  Unfortunately, they were not able to make any progress for TOP in the contract.  They did offer us 6-hour health tech (not in the contract), but it is more than we had before.  So, our fight to be fully staffed will continue for at least the next three years. Of course, the contract was voted in, and we have the rest of the summer to relax… knowing we are not going on strike. 


 

No comments: